HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2011, 05:13 PM
United States, OH, Mentor
Joined Jun 2007
172 Posts
Closer inspection revealed a warped right elevon. Otherwise,all seems fine.
The CF mod to the backside of the control surfaces is quite nice. Any suggestions for straightening the elevon warp and then applying this simple mod properly and securely would be most appreciated. Alucard,Shoeler and Ping,your posts have been most helpful! btw
Mingus The Red is offline Find More Posts by Mingus The Red
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2011, 05:48 PM
Joined Aug 2010
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Ohh i forgot ,i wonder how many more times are we going too see/here the best way too Launch it!! Throw is so that yea don't Cut the $-hit out of yur hands...That Should work!!!

Ha ha here is my Stryker being launched a couple of times. No power, no problem.
Stryker Hand toss (1 min 57 sec)
kpw555 is offline Find More Posts by kpw555
Old Jun 20, 2011, 05:54 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,304 Posts
What size of CF rod to back of control surfaces would be sufficient? .5 mm?
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:21 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,346 Posts
Soooooo.I guess throwing my 6 foot long F-16 pusher with a 12x12 prop may be unsafe????I never had a problem throwing pushers,but have seen my buds get hit,because they did not follow through as they threw them,yea,lots of blood n stitches....
F 16 on 6s (2 min 58 sec)
fh64_lucky is offline Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2011, 07:01 PM
United States, OH, Mentor
Joined Jun 2007
172 Posts
Waitin on the tail to dry before hookin up the rudders. In the meantime, decided I didn't wanna keep the nose scheme as is,so quick easy change. Little bit of a space shuttle thing goin on perhaps,hehe. But I like it better I think. And now hopin for a break in the rain tomorrow..
Mingus The Red is offline Find More Posts by Mingus The Red
Old Jun 20, 2011, 07:23 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,294 Posts
Got mine!!! First impression:
The Foam is nice and smooth..even shiny. Everything was tight on mine. I did put on back plates and hot glued the stabs in place.
Now things you need to know. the leads are very short and they aren't labeled so it's a guessing game. Come on HH buy a label maker!!! Next I used an AR6200 and it's a super tight fit since the pins are on top. You will need (2) 3" extensions if your Rx has top pins. Again...Come on HH!!! With it being the same size as the C how is everything so cramped in the Q.

Anyway
Turnigy 3s 2200 40c
447watts Peak
40.3Amps Peak

Looks like I'll be putting in the E-Flite 60.

Maiden shortly!!!!!
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Jun 20, 2011, 07:39 PM
Fort Collins Colorado USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,393 Posts
I ordered mine from Hobby Town USA a month ago trying to support the local shop but it is not here yet. Hopefully this Thursday. Maybe next time I'll order from onehobbies.com. Enjoy the plane.
jadamian75 is offline Find More Posts by jadamian75
Old Jun 20, 2011, 08:04 PM
Going broke, dam this hobby
cleveland oh
Joined Mar 2009
628 Posts
got mine today, shes ready to go, ill be tossing it just like the old one with 60% power, ya just got to follow through with the throw
xlrDALLAS is offline Find More Posts by xlrDALLAS
Old Jun 20, 2011, 08:26 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingus The Red View Post
Closer inspection revealed a warped right elevon. Otherwise,all seems fine.
The CF mod to the backside of the control surfaces is quite nice. Any suggestions for straightening the elevon warp and then applying this simple mod properly and securely would be most appreciated. Alucard,Shoeler and Ping,your posts have been most helpful! btw
You want to straighten the surfaces first. It's pretty easy to do, center the inboard surface with the control rod attatched. Check the surface with a straight edge, and look at the wing tip to make sure the outer end of the elevon isn't warped. If it is, just warm it with a hairdryer, and bend it straight, let it cool, and it will spring back a bit, but will be straighter, takes a little trial and error to get it just right. After it is good, use .5mmX3mm flat CF. the tips are rounded, and so is the inboard inch or so of the elevons, so the strip shouldn't be the full width. Cut them, line them up, and use a thin bead of med CA to tack them on, then run a bead on both the top and bottom edges of the CF strip and hit it with kicker to lock it in. I wrapped some packing tape around them also, I do this on the trailing edges of a lot of EPO planes, works well to keep the trailing edges from getting scuffed or kinked.

For those having trouble launching power off, you need to really throw the thing hard into the wind, throw it at an upward angle, and get on the power as soon as you can. If you don't throw it hard enough, or get on the throttle quick enough, it will start to nose down and will hit, or you will need to yank the elevator hard, and possibly stall it or snap roll it. As handlaunching goes it isn't that bad, just takes a decent technique, and some practice.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Last edited by alucard0822; Jun 20, 2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 08:41 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,304 Posts
Now that is cool

What electronics are on that bad boy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fh64_lucky View Post
Soooooo.I guess throwing my 6 foot long F-16 pusher with a 12x12 prop may be unsafe????I never had a problem throwing pushers,but have seen my buds get hit,because they did not follow through as they threw them,yea,lots of blood n stitches....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTVDAe4Vtrk
Old Jun 20, 2011, 08:44 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
Excellent...my LHS down here says he'll have one for me Wed...can't wait to hear your maiden report!!!
First - the problems reported earlier - loose firewall and loose horns were not present on my machine.

After about an hour of trial and error, I managed to get speed brakes using the BNF Rx (AR600). Left Rudder on AUX1.

OK, there is no way I can throw this thing with the motor off. Nose first into the grass - no real damage. Try the wing "filp." Cartwheeled across the field. Getting nowhere. So, let's power up a bit and let her rip. Well, probably on the cartwheels, the right connecting rod stripped out of the clevis. Done for the night.

Repairs in process, try again Wednesday.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Jun 20, 2011, 08:47 PM
Terre Haute, IN
Joined Jan 2009
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fh64_lucky View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTVDAe4Vtrk
That is Awesome! I want one of those! So guys, I will be buying the new F-27Q sometime this week, question, will a 2200 4s fit in the battery bay without trimming?
tankbuster is offline Find More Posts by tankbuster
Old Jun 20, 2011, 08:52 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,304 Posts
Did you try to hold the wing tip; power it up while holding up elevator and let it go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816 View Post
First - the problems reported earlier - loose firewall and loose horns were not present on my machine.

After about an hour of trial and error, I managed to get speed brakes using the BNF Rx (AR600). Left Rudder on AUX1.

OK, there is no way I can throw this thing with the motor off. Nose first into the grass - no real damage. Try the wing "filp." Cartwheeled across the field. Getting nowhere. So, let's power up a bit and let her rip. Well, probably on the cartwheels, the right connecting rod stripped out of the clevis. Done for the night.

Repairs in process, try again Wednesday.

Rick
Old Jun 20, 2011, 08:59 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,294 Posts
Just flew 2 packs through it....T-ball got canceled and then the sun came out. Time to maiden!!!

Hand launches are not bad. I did it 4x's The first time I was nervous and didn't get on the throttle and it glided in nice and the I calmed down and chucked it with no issues 3 more times.

If you are buying it for speed...Well it's faster than the C. It's not lightning fast, but if you've modded a 3s C for more speed on 3s the Q is on par with something like that. It makes a sweet whoosh sound as it screams by. The speed is just fine though and mine has unlimited vertical. I would race across the field at WOT, pull up and it would climb as high as I wanted it to...and that was really, Really high.

Now the best part, FLAT SPINS!!! It'll spin forever! Full throttle pull up head for the clouds, slam full rudder, cut the throttle, and opposite aileron and elevator. The Q would spin like a ninja star and then depending on what way your sticks are the Q will spin inverted or upright like a top and float down in a flat spin....Awesome! Just watch how close to the ground you get because it takes a second to get out of the flat spin. I caught myself watching too much and not flying and had to plop it down, no big deal. Just put the nose back on and back up for more fun.

Knife edges are the opposite of flat spins. I found it difficult at best to even hold the edge for 2-3 seconds, but I'll work on them.

Landing like the HH guys in the video is as easy as they make it out to be. I did it 3 times and it's a piece of cake.

Air brakes set on my JrX9503 (3) position switch 60% and 115%. 115% pitches the nose up quite a bit and 60% is nice, and they work. The Q would slow down a lot with the breaks on.

All in all it could use just a touch more speed, but I also forgot to turn up my throttle to 150%. It's not slow by any means...it could just use about 10 more mph. The stunts MORE than make up for that though. I still have a smile on my face and my 2 boys thought "DAD THAT THING IS SICK!!!"
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:12 PM
Joined Aug 2010
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankbuster View Post
That is Awesome! I want one of those! So guys, I will be buying the new F-27Q sometime this week, question, will a 2200 4s fit in the battery bay without trimming?
The battery compartment is pretty tight. I would say that it would probably need to be deepened to accept 4s. It might go though.
kpw555 is offline Find More Posts by kpw555