HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:26 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Dec 2005
254 Posts
Bummer about the damage, possibly due to a stall? More elevator will just make things worse.

These birds are tough, should be fine, for a while. LOL

Peace, Wolf
bd5wingnut is offline Find More Posts by bd5wingnut
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:58 PM
rrg
USA, KY, Edgewood
Joined Dec 2007
1,257 Posts
Found out my limits today. I had the day off so i took it out even though it was 27 out and winds were gusting to 18mph. i had it up for 2 minutes, that was enough. Getting stir crazy i guess.......
rrg is offline Find More Posts by rrg
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:18 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,100 Posts
Yeah, although these things can handle wind better than anything RC I've ever seen fly, they do have their limits!

Mine should fly again once I repair the crack. I really need to start thinking about getting a new airframe soon!

I did put a little throttle in trying to pull out of the dive, but it only got it to about a 60*-70* angle. So not really sure what the heck happened. I almost bet if I'd had time to think about flipping to high rates and giving it more throttle, I might have been able to save it. Hard to say at this point.

Still love this ole bird!
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:41 AM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Oct 2009
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onothimagain View Post
The only one I've used is the APC prop. seems to hold up good I'm flying alot by lost lake (friant) lots of rocks, big & small the vinyards are sandy so not much of a proublem there... Nice to see some people still call it FAT, the tourist board thinks it's YOSMITE INT. ????
YOSEMITE INT is the official name, but most people just call it by its airport identifier which is KFAT or just FAT. I just bought a couple APC props. too windy for flying today, but we will see what tomorrow holds.
Idoitall is offline Find More Posts by Idoitall
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:41 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,992 Posts
I took the Stryker up yesterday in some pretty stiff winds, and cracked it up. Wasn't the plane's fault, or even conditions, but just me. I had been doing goofier and goofier stuff with it, and with about 35 seconds left on the timer, I decided to float it in harrier mode inverted towards the field from a reasonably high altitude. All was going well, except that I let it get both too low, and also too close to a clump of trees. Had I been higher, my 'exit move' could have been as simple as adding power, adjusting stick pressure, and gain altitude while remaining inverted. But as it was, with the ground coming up rapidly, I did a quick half-roll, and gunned it, with wings level, but that left me below treetop level, and headed for the clump of trees.... I was hoping I would just slip between the trunks (what are the odds of hitting a thin trunk versus the space between them, right?), but I did hit a trunk about chest-high, and it spun the plane around, ejected the canopy and battery, broke the nose off just past the magnetic part, and most damaging of all, left a big semi-circular gash about 3 inches deep in one leading edge. I think I can coax the pieces back together with some heat and then repair it with some 30 minute epoxy, but it was a totally needless incident.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:15 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,481 Posts
Was that after Happy Hour?

(Would love to see the video.......)

Sorry though, noob

As you know, of course, the Stryker rebuilds pretty well.......

But even better is to swap the guts into a nice new airframe......

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:21 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Was that after Happy Hour?
As you know, of course, the Stryker rebuilds pretty well.......

But even better is to swap the guts into a nice new airframe......

heh heh No, I wish I had an excuse like that -- stone cold sober, but just not thinking things through....

I think it will fix up pretty well -- these things can take quite a beating.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:09 PM
Fresno, Calif.
Joined Feb 2007
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
Yeah, although these things can handle wind better than anything RC I've ever seen fly, they do have their limits!

Mine should fly again once I repair the crack. I really need to start thinking about getting a new airframe soon!

I did put a little throttle in trying to pull out of the dive, but it only got it to about a 60*-70* angle. So not really sure what the heck happened. I almost bet if I'd had time to think about flipping to high rates and giving it more throttle, I might have been able to save it. Hard to say at this point.

Still love this ole bird!
Like you I love doing the boomerang spins & I still have the stock system eletronics etc.I have never had to use throttle coming out of it but in the back of my head I still remember back in this thread somewhere guys talking about stunts on the "Q" done with max throws on all servo's could in some cases bring about a brown-out but still with throttle control,anyway always in the back of my head whenever I try those....
onothimagain is offline Find More Posts by onothimagain
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:01 PM
Joined Nov 2012
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
I got a great deal on the Ultra Micro Stryker and I am thinking about getting the big one. How do you guys hand launch the big one and not get your hand chewed up?
just watch how QQ does it. he is the designer of the plane and he designed it to be hand launched using the molded grips with NO POWER. no power toss = safest method.

others seem to like the powered, side arm guided, lob

any other method and you're asking for trouble
rcfisherman is offline Find More Posts by rcfisherman
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:10 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfisherman View Post
.....hand launched using the molded grips with NO POWER. no power toss = safest method.....
That method may be "safe" for the pilot, but it's pretty dangerous for the aircraft!

There've been many crashes from power-off launches.

Search the posts in this thread.

There are many, many, many endorsements of the sidearm/frisbee power-on launch.

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:11 PM
Joined Nov 2012
388 Posts
those mega motors sure are expensive! if you buy a turnigy motor, you can also get yourself 1 or 2 65c batts for the same cost. extra batts more than outweighs any efficiency gains from a mega motor in a draggy sport plane flown "just for fun."

but hey, if got the cash go for it! but then couldn't you afford a (custom) neu motor and then you can brag about having the best that money can buy?
rcfisherman is offline Find More Posts by rcfisherman
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:49 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kirkby in Ashfield
Joined Aug 2008
156 Posts
Hi all. Does any1 know much about the scorpion s2 3014 - 1220 kv. I had one laying about and seen a lad on youtube getting nearly 140mph on a 9x9 prop. Well iv got it all fitted and ready for this weekend. I put it on the watt meter and its pulling around 800 watts at 70 amp on a 8x9 apc prop wich is a bit more than scorpion say it can handle but its not getting hot so going to chuck it up. Il post a vid after the weekend.
neilbooth is offline Find More Posts by neilbooth
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:14 PM
Joined May 2010
1,745 Posts
I am looking for a stryker complete air frame...i see a couple of places that sell parts,but not sure of all the parts that are needed for a complete plane where all i need to add is my own servos,motor and esc...This seems to be the best prop jet on the market...I like both Q and C versions...any help in getting this project in gear is appreciated...thax
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
Last edited by hate2crash; Feb 24, 2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:35 PM
Joined May 2010
1,745 Posts
Okay, i just checked and strker motor is about half the size of the 1800kv i wanted to use...can anyone here recommend a motor from HK that would be equal or better then stock and bolt right in using stock mounts? thx
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:07 PM
Joined May 2010
1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfisherman View Post
those mega motors sure are expensive! if you buy a turnigy motor, you can also get yourself 1 or 2 65c batts for the same cost. extra batts more than outweighs any efficiency gains from a mega motor in a draggy sport plane flown "just for fun."

but hey, if got the cash go for it! but then couldn't you afford a (custom) neu motor and then you can brag about having the best that money can buy?
Hi Rcfisherman, i am going to build a stryker from parts once i can find them...can u recommend a good motor that is as good or better then stock and bolts right in using stock mounts...i would like around 90-100mph on 3s 2200 mah..but also want a motor that handles 4s ... i will use a 7x6 or 7x5 prop i will be installing a 60 amp esc...thax