Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:22 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by socommk23 View Post
accidents can happen to anyone. people become complacent with their experience. maybe a distraction or something he missed caused the accident.
what do you consider a "very capable and experienced pilot"?
i can post a pic of my hand after a stryker launch if it strengthens my side of the story?
Thanks, but not gonna play.

Folks will make their own judgement.

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:24 AM
always looking for clouds
Joined Aug 2010
422 Posts
wasnt asking for anyone to "play" just saying the overhand launch is safe enough if done properly.
been doing it for years.
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:49 PM
Fresno, Calif.
Joined Feb 2007
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Thanks, but not gonna play.

Folks will make their own judgement.

I have seen the pic your talking about, a picture is worth a thousand words !!!!!
onothimagain is offline Find More Posts by onothimagain
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:29 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the man View Post
Hey Guys,

I've thought long and hard about putting this on this thread. I know there alot of F27Q fans out there so I've been a bit nervous about putting this up. However I had an incident with my F27Q that put me in hospital. Consequently there are some things that any potential purchaser of an F-27Q needs to be aware off.

Before I kick off let me give you some background about myself. I'm an Aeronautical Engineer and I've been flying for over 17years. During this time I've designed and successfully built my own wings and fuselage planes. My flying background spans balsa, foam and hotliners. Unfortunately my business commitments have curtailed my design and building activities but I still love flying and get an absolute blast out of it.

First things first the positives of the F27Q. Aerodynamically this thing is a masterpiece. Where it particularly excels is it's ability to get into the most terrible mess and all you have to do to recover is let go of the sticks. I was also blown away with how effective the cooling was. For anyone transitioning from yank and bank and flying and wanting to learn rudders, this aeroplane is worthy of serious consideration.

However some very serious corners where cut with this aircraft. These are,
*The servo pushrods where far too brittle. I replaced mine immediately.
*The controls (elevons and rudders) suffer from terrible flexure.
*Because it's just Z-foam the control horn mounts are prone to failure, which is what happened to me when I threw the thing to an inverted flat spin.

What all this translates too is while you can achieve insane roll and pitch rates you lack the precision of something like a hotliner or a flying wing with correctly sized balsa controls.

Also the other thing to watch is that rear prop. The standard 6x6 prop is way under powered so I upgraded the prop to a 7 x 5, which assisted greatly. However there was one small problem. To resolve the control precision and ensured I didn't have a control surface failure I glassed the controls. It fixed that problem but added 50g of weight to the plane. So when I hand launched the plane instead of flying straight off it came down on my right index finger and it put me in hospital. I'll be OK but it will require some rehab. So be damn careful when hand launching this thing.

Look here's the deal with the F-27Q. It's a fantastic plane but unfortunately the accountants really compromised it. I enjoyed flying it and I learnt alot from it. However in my opinion some unacceptable corners where cut with this aircraft. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that when this plane was released it wouldn't terribly long for people to throw 4s and 5s setups into it. Totally stock (no mods to the aircraft structure) I would seriously doubt the long term structural viability of the F27Q with high powered setups.

Look from my perspective I'm considering the baby Stryker. Since it is so much lighter the possibility of structural failure are much reduced. That being said on a personal level I'm very gun shy about buying another Horizon Hobby plane.

Bottomline I'm not saying don't buy an F27Q. I think it's worthy of consideration. That being said if you get one go in with your eyes open.

I hope this helps and this certainly was not written with any malice intended.

Danny
You modified the air frame, You installed a propeller not recommended by the designers or Parkzone,You improperly hand launched the plane (obviously, or you would not have been cut), and you want to blame the design, the company and the plane?????? Are you for real? That is one of the most absurd things I have ever heard.
Now I hope your hand and fingers are going to heal completely and wish you no ill but, How about some personal responsibility in the matter.
Gravitycheat is offline Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:45 PM
Bring It On !!!!!
Newmarket, England.
Joined Aug 2006
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the man View Post
Hey Guys,

I've thought long and hard about putting this on this thread. I know there alot of F27Q fans out there so I've been a bit nervous about putting this up. However I had an incident with my F27Q that put me in hospital. Consequently there are some things that any potential purchaser of an F-27Q needs to be aware off.

Before I kick off let me give you some background about myself. I'm an Aeronautical Engineer and I've been flying for over 17years. During this time I've designed and successfully built my own wings and fuselage planes. My flying background spans balsa, foam and hotliners. Unfortunately my business commitments have curtailed my design and building activities but I still love flying and get an absolute blast out of it.

First things first the positives of the F27Q. Aerodynamically this thing is a masterpiece. Where it particularly excels is it's ability to get into the most terrible mess and all you have to do to recover is let go of the sticks. I was also blown away with how effective the cooling was. For anyone transitioning from yank and bank and flying and wanting to learn rudders, this aeroplane is worthy of serious consideration.

However some very serious corners where cut with this aircraft. These are,
*The servo pushrods where far too brittle. I replaced mine immediately.
*The controls (elevons and rudders) suffer from terrible flexure.
*Because it's just Z-foam the control horn mounts are prone to failure, which is what happened to me when I threw the thing to an inverted flat spin.

What all this translates too is while you can achieve insane roll and pitch rates you lack the precision of something like a hotliner or a flying wing with correctly sized balsa controls.

Also the other thing to watch is that rear prop. The standard 6x6 prop is way under powered so I upgraded the prop to a 7 x 5, which assisted greatly. However there was one small problem. To resolve the control precision and ensured I didn't have a control surface failure I glassed the controls. It fixed that problem but added 50g of weight to the plane. So when I hand launched the plane instead of flying straight off it came down on my right index finger and it put me in hospital. I'll be OK but it will require some rehab. So be damn careful when hand launching this thing.

Look here's the deal with the F-27Q. It's a fantastic plane but unfortunately the accountants really compromised it. I enjoyed flying it and I learnt alot from it. However in my opinion some unacceptable corners where cut with this aircraft. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that when this plane was released it wouldn't terribly long for people to throw 4s and 5s setups into it. Totally stock (no mods to the aircraft structure) I would seriously doubt the long term structural viability of the F27Q with high powered setups.

Look from my perspective I'm considering the baby Stryker. Since it is so much lighter the possibility of structural failure are much reduced. That being said on a personal level I'm very gun shy about buying another Horizon Hobby plane.

Bottomline I'm not saying don't buy an F27Q. I think it's worthy of consideration. That being said if you get one go in with your eyes open.

I hope this helps and this certainly was not written with any malice intended.

Danny
There's some quite "Odd" notes that you have posted Dan the man..

You mention that the control rods are brittle, this does not make any sense at all as they are steel with carbon tubes over them.

The control horns are very well documented in the thread and the early models suffered from failure due to no backplates being installed, other than that they work perfectly after this issue was addressed by Horizon.

The control surfaces are "Just Z foam" and suffer from flexure,, well the whole plane is Z foam but there seem to have been zero notes on the problem of the control surfaces under performing. Undoubtedly they do flex as this model is capable of some high speeds but there seems to be no mention of failure or loss of the plane due to control surface flexing.

To suffer the back of the plane kicking down on to your hand seems to be the addition of your 50 grams of weight to the control surfaces after glassing them and not checking the CG afterwards.

Adding the weight which you did, and then launching without the CG being correct would surely have this effect. Otherwise there would have been no noticable difference in balance from the launch grips on the underside of the Stryker as they are virtually spot on the CG point.

There is another model which is similar to the Stryker, The Multiplex Funjet Ultra, this is another model of similar material which has identical control surfaces and again this suffers from no notable defects of flexure. Even with Mega power systems.

Anyhow, each to their own, as they say. If this is truly what you believe then I'm cetainly not the judge but it certainly do beg some questions..
soundcheque is offline Find More Posts by soundcheque
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:45 PM
sKrude up, Rejected!
Joined Jun 2008
3,186 Posts
Yup!
DogFly. is offline Find More Posts by DogFly.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:15 AM
I can fix that!
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Jul 2011
906 Posts
I fly both the big Stryker and it's mini-me with an over-hand launch, but I remain concious of my follow-through, and have never had a problem. I will grant that should I experience a brain-dead moment, or should there be a sudden distraction on launch, and there will be blood!
doug.wagner is online now Find More Posts by doug.wagner
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:09 AM
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Jun 2012
348 Posts
i have about 50 flights using 60% throttle overhead thro, the last 15-20 flights has been the side launch and ive had no issues and it less nerve racking.
bladeguy5 is offline Find More Posts by bladeguy5
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:45 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.wagner View Post
I fly ... with an over-hand launch, but I remain concious of my follow-through, and have never had a problem. I will grant that should I experience a brain-dead moment, or should there be a sudden distraction on launch, and there will be blood!
This is my approach, too, and with the same caveat. I feel that a momentary lack of concentration in the pits could cause a similar injury as well on any electric model, so I don't feel it is a singularly dangerous approach, just one that requires care, and a consistent approach, that becomes habit over time.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:55 PM
Joined Aug 2010
3,481 Posts
IMHO, there's no significant advantage to overhand compared to sidearrm, just a bit more chance of trouble.

A simple matter of risk/reward......

Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:57 PM
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Jun 2012
348 Posts
Aside from all the launching talk the styker is bad a$$
bladeguy5 is offline Find More Posts by bladeguy5
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:59 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,661 Posts
LOL, man Pug, I know I've said it before, but you're pics attached with your posts are classic!!!

There are times while reading where I have to skip what you've read only to see your attached pic FIRST, LOL and than I'll go back and read your post, in this case, I'm glad I saw your pic first!!!!!

And BTW, I feel exactly what you posted..... Now let me check out that pic one more time
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:13 PM
Joined Aug 2010
3,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
.....BTW, I feel exactly what you posted..... Now let me check out that pic one more time
TMI.......

Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:21 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,940 Posts
I am having a blast with this thing!!! Got the bommarang flat spins figured out, working on coming out of it " Holy #%$# low" and flying flying out inverted. Needless to say it is taking a beating. If it would just do what i tell it, it would go much easier on it

Does a pretty good inverted harrier but rocks the wings something terrible verted. KE is good, blenders great!!! Hover is going to be a challenge but i'm working on it.

Love the breal away nose. Wish my balsas had that
Gravitycheat is offline Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:12 PM
rrg
USA, KY, Edgewood
Joined Dec 2007
1,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
Max rates needed.....
Fly straight up, very high.
Kill throttle
Just before stall left stick bottom left and right stick top right
This starts the spin
Then leave left stick at bottom left and move right stick to bottom left
This kicks in turbo spin.
Recover high to start with till you get the feel
jrjr....Gonna try this sunday. It will be getting up to 30 degrees. Gotta find some nerv on the way there......
rrg is offline Find More Posts by rrg