SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:15 AM
always looking for clouds
socommk23's Avatar
Joined Aug 2010
422 Posts
a bit of rc car but i fly the stryker with it and have a few races

stokes bay RAW's way! (3 min 35 sec)
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:17 AM
always looking for clouds
socommk23's Avatar
Joined Aug 2010
422 Posts
flight over 3 different sites i use, some great view. but i find the stryker too unstable for tranquil fpv

friday feeling (3 min 55 sec)
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:19 AM
always looking for clouds
socommk23's Avatar
Joined Aug 2010
422 Posts
this is the last flight with the stryker. slightly bored of it at the moment as im finding more fun challenges with gliders. my bro is flying the radian in this vid, this lead me to get a radian pro!

intercept. but not quite! lol (5 min 55 sec)
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:17 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
pugsam's Avatar
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,526 Posts
Programming Note....."Rise of the Drones" tonight on PBS

Drone aircraft technology is explored on "Nova: Rise of the Drones" (Public Broadcasting, tonight), including an interview with Abe Karem, who helped develop the Predator.

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:50 AM
Registered User
Sydney Kingsford, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
188 Posts
Hey Guys,

I've thought long and hard about putting this on this thread. I know there alot of F27Q fans out there so I've been a bit nervous about putting this up. However I had an incident with my F27Q that put me in hospital. Consequently there are some things that any potential purchaser of an F-27Q needs to be aware off.

Before I kick off let me give you some background about myself. I'm an Aeronautical Engineer and I've been flying for over 17years. During this time I've designed and successfully built my own wings and fuselage planes. My flying background spans balsa, foam and hotliners. Unfortunately my business commitments have curtailed my design and building activities but I still love flying and get an absolute blast out of it.

First things first the positives of the F27Q. Aerodynamically this thing is a masterpiece. Where it particularly excels is it's ability to get into the most terrible mess and all you have to do to recover is let go of the sticks. I was also blown away with how effective the cooling was. For anyone transitioning from yank and bank and flying and wanting to learn rudders, this aeroplane is worthy of serious consideration.

However some very serious corners where cut with this aircraft. These are,
*The servo pushrods where far too brittle. I replaced mine immediately.
*The controls (elevons and rudders) suffer from terrible flexure.
*Because it's just Z-foam the control horn mounts are prone to failure, which is what happened to me when I threw the thing to an inverted flat spin.

What all this translates too is while you can achieve insane roll and pitch rates you lack the precision of something like a hotliner or a flying wing with correctly sized balsa controls.

Also the other thing to watch is that rear prop. The standard 6x6 prop is way under powered so I upgraded the prop to a 7 x 5, which assisted greatly. However there was one small problem. To resolve the control precision and ensured I didn't have a control surface failure I glassed the controls. It fixed that problem but added 50g of weight to the plane. So when I hand launched the plane instead of flying straight off it came down on my right index finger and it put me in hospital. I'll be OK but it will require some rehab. So be damn careful when hand launching this thing.

Look here's the deal with the F-27Q. It's a fantastic plane but unfortunately the accountants really compromised it. I enjoyed flying it and I learnt alot from it. However in my opinion some unacceptable corners where cut with this aircraft. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that when this plane was released it wouldn't terribly long for people to throw 4s and 5s setups into it. Totally stock (no mods to the aircraft structure) I would seriously doubt the long term structural viability of the F27Q with high powered setups.

Look from my perspective I'm considering the baby Stryker. Since it is so much lighter the possibility of structural failure are much reduced. That being said on a personal level I'm very gun shy about buying another Horizon Hobby plane.

Bottomline I'm not saying don't buy an F27Q. I think it's worthy of consideration. That being said if you get one go in with your eyes open.

I hope this helps and this certainly was not written with any malice intended.

Danny
Dan the man is offline Find More Posts by Dan the man
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:11 AM
always looking for clouds
socommk23's Avatar
Joined Aug 2010
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the man View Post
Hey Guys,

I've thought long and hard about putting this on this thread. I know there alot of F27Q fans out there so I've been a bit nervous about putting this up. However I had an incident with my F27Q that put me in hospital. Consequently there are some things that any potential purchaser of an F-27Q needs to be aware off.

Before I kick off let me give you some background about myself. I'm an Aeronautical Engineer and I've been flying for over 17years. During this time I've designed and successfully built my own wings and fuselage planes. My flying background spans balsa, foam and hotliners. Unfortunately my business commitments have curtailed my design and building activities but I still love flying and get an absolute blast out of it.

First things first the positives of the F27Q. Aerodynamically this thing is a masterpiece. Where it particularly excels is it's ability to get into the most terrible mess and all you have to do to recover is let go of the sticks. I was also blown away with how effective the cooling was. For anyone transitioning from yank and bank and flying and wanting to learn rudders, this aeroplane is worthy of serious consideration.

However some very serious corners where cut with this aircraft. These are,
*The servo pushrods where far too brittle. I replaced mine immediately.
*The controls (elevons and rudders) suffer from terrible flexure.
*Because it's just Z-foam the control horn mounts are prone to failure, which is what happened to me when I threw the thing to an inverted flat spin.

What all this translates too is while you can achieve insane roll and pitch rates you lack the precision of something like a hotliner or a flying wing with correctly sized balsa controls.

Also the other thing to watch is that rear prop. The standard 6x6 prop is way under powered so I upgraded the prop to a 7 x 5, which assisted greatly. However there was one small problem. To resolve the control precision and ensured I didn't have a control surface failure I glassed the controls. It fixed that problem but added 50g of weight to the plane. So when I hand launched the plane instead of flying straight off it came down on my right index finger and it put me in hospital. I'll be OK but it will require some rehab. So be damn careful when hand launching this thing.

Look here's the deal with the F-27Q. It's a fantastic plane but unfortunately the accountants really compromised it. I enjoyed flying it and I learnt alot from it. However in my opinion some unacceptable corners where cut with this aircraft. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that when this plane was released it wouldn't terribly long for people to throw 4s and 5s setups into it. Totally stock (no mods to the aircraft structure) I would seriously doubt the long term structural viability of the F27Q with high powered setups.

Look from my perspective I'm considering the baby Stryker. Since it is so much lighter the possibility of structural failure are much reduced. That being said on a personal level I'm very gun shy about buying another Horizon Hobby plane.

Bottomline I'm not saying don't buy an F27Q. I think it's worthy of consideration. That being said if you get one go in with your eyes open.

I hope this helps and this certainly was not written with any malice intended.

Danny
sorry to hear you havent had much luck with this plane. and injury is never nice when all we do this for is fun.

i personaly have had the stryker q for almost 2 years, launch it by its fuss hand grips and have never had an incident with it once as far as injury or flight failure of the airframe.

ive only had a bad experience wih the factory solder esc to battery conections that over heated and desoldered in flight. can only assume it was a bad joint. it crashed, luckily on an empty beach. picked up the a/c, resoldered properly. no problems since. still on the same airframe, slightly twisted but it flies.
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:03 AM
Registered User
Yuma, AZ
Joined Oct 2003
314 Posts
Dantheman,

I'm sorry you hurt yourself. but you VIOLATE THE PRIMARY SAFETY PRECAUTION for this plane and then blame the plane. It does not take an engineer to know that launching this plane overhand with the power on is asking for trouble. There are at least two ways to safely launch this plane power on, see my post #7044.

I dont know what version of the plane you have, but there is nothing wrong with the pushrods and it doesn't have anymore flex than a lot these planes. I've flown mine straight into the ground and into a fence at full throttle and banged it up all kinds of ways and it is still flying. Using common sense with these planes goes a long way to insuring safety and durability.
splais is offline Find More Posts by splais
Last edited by splais; Jan 24, 2013 at 07:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:16 AM
sKrude up, Rejected!
DogFly.'s Avatar
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2008
3,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the man View Post
Hey Guys,

I've thought long and hard about putting this on this thread. I know there alot of F27Q fans out there so I've been a bit nervous about putting this up. However I had an incident with my F27Q that put me in hospital. Consequently there are some things that any potential purchaser of an F-27Q needs to be aware off.

Before I kick off let me give you some background about myself. I'm an Aeronautical Engineer and I've been flying for over 17years. During this time I've designed and successfully built my own wings and fuselage planes. My flying background spans balsa, foam and hotliners. Unfortunately my business commitments have curtailed my design and building activities but I still love flying and get an absolute blast out of it.

First things first the positives of the F27Q. Aerodynamically this thing is a masterpiece. Where it particularly excels is it's ability to get into the most terrible mess and all you have to do to recover is let go of the sticks. I was also blown away with how effective the cooling was. For anyone transitioning from yank and bank and flying and wanting to learn rudders, this aeroplane is worthy of serious consideration.

However some very serious corners where cut with this aircraft. These are,
*The servo pushrods where far too brittle. I replaced mine immediately.
*The controls (elevons and rudders) suffer from terrible flexure.
*Because it's just Z-foam the control horn mounts are prone to failure, which is what happened to me when I threw the thing to an inverted flat spin.

What all this translates too is while you can achieve insane roll and pitch rates you lack the precision of something like a hotliner or a flying wing with correctly sized balsa controls.

Also the other thing to watch is that rear prop. The standard 6x6 prop is way under powered so I upgraded the prop to a 7 x 5, which assisted greatly. However there was one small problem. To resolve the control precision and ensured I didn't have a control surface failure I glassed the controls. It fixed that problem but added 50g of weight to the plane. So when I hand launched the plane instead of flying straight off it came down on my right index finger and it put me in hospital. I'll be OK but it will require some rehab. So be damn careful when hand launching this thing.

Look here's the deal with the F-27Q. It's a fantastic plane but unfortunately the accountants really compromised it. I enjoyed flying it and I learnt alot from it. However in my opinion some unacceptable corners where cut with this aircraft. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that when this plane was released it wouldn't terribly long for people to throw 4s and 5s setups into it. Totally stock (no mods to the aircraft structure) I would seriously doubt the long term structural viability of the F27Q with high powered setups.

Look from my perspective I'm considering the baby Stryker. Since it is so much lighter the possibility of structural failure are much reduced. That being said on a personal level I'm very gun shy about buying another Horizon Hobby plane.

Bottomline I'm not saying don't buy an F27Q. I think it's worthy of consideration. That being said if you get one go in with your eyes open.

I hope this helps and this certainly was not written with any malice intended.

Danny
Danny,
Although you are an aeronautical engineer, you decided to modify a perfectly good airframe, adding weight to it, resulting in personal injury.
So don't blame the plane, Parkzone does a great job on their airplanes.
I hope you heal quickly, and are back on the flightline soon.
DogFly. is offline Find More Posts by DogFly.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:06 AM
Gravity impaired
jrjr's Avatar
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,514 Posts
My first experience with a Q was hand launching for a friend. I looked at the bottom and thought, cool a grip for overhand launch. Then, I thought I had better get my hand out of the way fast as that prop would be coming fast. All went well though and we had several successful flights.

I guess sometimes all that book learnin' sucks the common sense out of people. I am not an engineer.....
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:13 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
pugsam's Avatar
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,526 Posts
Danny,

I just did a Search this Thread for "hand launch."

It got 399 hits. (And there was 1 for "hand lauch." )

The bottom line for many of us is that overhand launching can be a bit dicey, and it's safer and just as easy and effective to go sidearm or frisbee-style.

There are lots of video and photo demonstrations. Exact technique (for example, left- or right-hand release, gripping the Q's left or right wing, launching across the pilot's body or from the side, etc.) seems to be a matter of personal preference.

Very sorry to hear of your injury, and best wishes for a speedy recovery!

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Last edited by pugsam; Jan 24, 2013 at 08:20 AM. Reason: include photo credit
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:43 AM
always looking for clouds
socommk23's Avatar
Joined Aug 2010
422 Posts
am i the only one that uses the intended over arm launch? ive never had an issue. not even a close call. i am very carefull and get my hand away quickly. i didnt know so many people would have changed the intended launch technique through fear of injury
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:52 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
474 Posts
I think the overhand launch is crazy. I don't even launch my micro Stryker overhand. Power off will have it plowed into the ground before you can apply power and power on is an emergency room visit time bomb.

The easiest way to launch is just hold the wing and toss gently at 60% throttle.
AWDstylez is offline Find More Posts by AWDstylez
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:03 AM
always looking for clouds
socommk23's Avatar
Joined Aug 2010
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDstylez View Post
I think the overhand launch is crazy. I don't even launch my micro Stryker overhand. Power off will have it plowed into the ground before you can apply power and power on is an emergency room visit time bomb.

The easiest way to launch is just hold the wing and toss gently at 60% throttle.
personally i disagree. for it to be that dangerous you would have to leave your arm up in the launch position while it flys from your hand.

each to their own i guess.

but ive had hundreds of launches like this and each one has been a non event.
can even see me about to launch it in the vid several posts back.
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:14 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
pugsam's Avatar
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by socommk23 View Post
personally i disagree. for it to be that dangerous you would have to leave your arm up in the launch position while it flys from your hand.
each to their own i guess.
but ive had hundreds of launches like this and each one has been a non event.
can even see me about to launch it in the vid several posts back.
A Stryker did this to a very-capable and -experienced pilot:



http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4053

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:17 AM
always looking for clouds
socommk23's Avatar
Joined Aug 2010
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
A Stryker did this to a very-capable and -experienced pilot:



http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4053

accidents can happen to anyone. people become complacent with their experience. maybe a distraction or something he missed caused the accident.

what do you consider a "very capable and experienced pilot"?

i can post a pic of my hand after a stryker launch if it strengthens my side of the story?

socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Parkzone F 27Q stryker friz Electric Plane Talk 181 Nov 04, 2011 02:54 PM
Found Parkzone F-27c stryker PNP NIB rcwarrior Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 0 Nov 11, 2010 07:48 AM
Question Please Help! Can I use 14.8V 2200mAH on ParkZone F-27C Stryker? rcwarrior Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 3 Nov 11, 2010 12:13 AM
Discussion Looking for plans for foamy similar to Parkzone F-27c Stryker CX2Mike Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 5 Oct 24, 2010 01:00 PM
For Sale Parkzone F-27c Stryker PNP or BNF beginner4life Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Sep 12, 2010 11:02 AM