Bring It On !!!!!
Newmarket, England.
Joined Aug 2006
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitycheat View Post
Using Futaba, Do we use elevon or ailvator?? trying to set up my new Stryker

Elevons mate.. (On my 6ex anyway)

Then,, if you want some reflex for launch,,, Use one of the custom mixes to link flaps (6) with elevator (2) at 15% and have it switch with flap.

This will give you approx 2 mm of up elevator with the flap switch clicked towards you for launching and landing.

It's not always necessary but the option is there if you need it.
soundcheque is offline Find More Posts by soundcheque
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:58 AM
Joined Sep 2011
288 Posts
Hi guys, I'm considering the Stryker as my next plane, partly due to its wind handling (mostly due to its awesome flight-characteristics). Where I fly, its ALWAYS windy so I'm wondering, how much wind is the Stryker controllable in? I understand that it'll get bumped around more flying slowly or in a harrier but at higher throttle, what can I expect as far as this?

Also, if I did buy this plane, would I be able to use the AR400 with my DX6i? I've read that I can but I want to double check as it's $20 more I'd have to spend on new props, servos, clevises etc. I do know that I have to trick the DX6i into to giving me full throw :-)

Thanks for your help guys, in advance :-)

Tom
Tomdomification is offline Find More Posts by Tomdomification
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:38 AM
Tulsa Int, Oklahoma, United States
Joined Oct 2003
241 Posts
Windy day flying is the reason I got the Stryker. I flew it a few days ago in winds gusting 25mph down the runway (yes, I was the only airplane guy at the field), and I did not have any problems. Really loved the hi speed passes downwind on 4s (put my 4s 2200 mah battery in for the extra weight). True, the aerobatics were harder to do, but I had fun anyway.

But, part of the difficulty is the wind direction. Its a lot easier to fly in 25mph winds down the runway than 25mph crosswinds.

No experience with the AR400 or DX6i. But I don't see a problem as long as its a full range receiver. I'm using a 600
wildnloose is online now Find More Posts by wildnloose
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:23 PM
Joined Sep 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildnloose View Post
Windy day flying is the reason I got the Stryker. I flew it a few days ago in winds gusting 25mph down the runway (yes, I was the only airplane guy at the field), and I did not have any problems. Really loved the hi speed passes downwind on 4s (put my 4s 2200 mah battery in for the extra weight). True, the aerobatics were harder to do, but I had fun anyway.

But, part of the difficulty is the wind direction. Its a lot easier to fly in 25mph winds down the runway than 25mph crosswinds.

No experience with the AR400 or DX6i. But I don't see a problem as long as its a full range receiver. I'm using a 600
Thanks for the reply :-)
Sounds like the plane for me! The AR400 is full range. I was mostly curious about issues using a four-channel RX with a wing. I'll think it'll be fine though.

Tom
Tomdomification is offline Find More Posts by Tomdomification
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:15 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,940 Posts
Thank you for the post on the elevon ?. Git ti figured out and did the maiden today. What a fun plane. I have been flying slower 3d for the last few years so the speed was a hoot. I actualy was able to hover a little and do a pretty nice inverted harrier on my 3rd flight.

I have seen some crazy fast flat spins. I would love to get mine to do them. can anyone tell or direct me to the secrets of the flats spins?

Highly recommend this plane to anyone on the fence.
Gravitycheat is offline Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:02 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitycheat View Post
Thank you for the post on the elevon ?. Git ti figured out and did the maiden today. What a fun plane. I have been flying slower 3d for the last few years so the speed was a hoot. I actualy was able to hover a little and do a pretty nice inverted harrier on my 3rd flight.

I have seen some crazy fast flat spins. I would love to get mine to do them. can anyone tell or direct me to the secrets of the flats spins?

Highly recommend this plane to anyone on the fence.
Max rates needed.....
Fly straight up, very high.
Kill throttle
Just before stall left stick bottom left and right stick top right
This starts the spin
Then leave left stick at bottom left and move right stick to bottom left
This kicks in turbo spin.
Recover high to start with till you get the feel
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:58 PM
rrg
USA, KY, Edgewood
Joined Dec 2007
1,256 Posts
So i put a 5x7 pusher prop on the stryker tonight to bench test it and had to reverse the motor to get it to "blow" in the right direction. Am i missing something simple here?
rrg is offline Find More Posts by rrg
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:21 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,648 Posts
Hmmm, reverse the motor? Just to be sure the prop was placed with the numbers facing towards the nose??

That's a weird one......
rcoconut is online now Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:01 AM
Bring It On !!!!!
Newmarket, England.
Joined Aug 2006
688 Posts
With a PUSHER prop the numbers are always facing towards you, standing BEHIND the model with a REAR mounted motor.

The prop and motor should then spin ANTI-CLOCK to provide the rearward thrust in the correct way.

This is the exact mirror of a front mounted motor which will have the numbers on the standard tractor prop facing towards you standing at the front of the model.

The motor should then turn anti-clock to provide rearward thrust.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:23 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,885 Posts
Why do people have so much trouble with prop direction? Simply locate the leading edge. It should be blindingly obvious which way on it has to go and which way it needs to turn. And, btw, not all props have lettering on them and even if they do, it's not always on the back.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:16 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrg View Post
So i put a 5x7 pusher prop on the stryker tonight to bench test it and had to reverse the motor to get it to "blow" in the right direction. Am i missing something simple here?
The key there is the "pusher". They need to spin opposite of the normal prop. You don't need a pusher but can use one if desired. Just remember that the motor torque will be opposite of the normal. They are designed for twin motor applications so that the 2 motors torque counteract each other.

Normally the prop numbers face the front of the plane. Mounting a normal prop on the back doesn't change that. The produced wind still needs to flow rearwards.
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:26 AM
Bring It On !!!!!
Newmarket, England.
Joined Aug 2006
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Why do people have so much trouble with prop direction? Simply locate the leading edge. It should be blindingly obvious which way on it has to go and which way it needs to turn. And, btw, not all props have lettering on them and even if they do, it's not always on the back.
Struggling to understand why an RCG Plus member has had to reply with such a condesending answer TBH.

If you couldn't supply the information in a more positive manner then why bother at all.

Clearly to some members it is difficult to understand which way a prop has to go on therefore the initial question.. As usual it's only easy if you know how.

There are also many members who still don't know which is the leading edge therefore this part of your answer is of no use to those trying to understand the fundamentals of prop installation.

You could have at least supplied an attachement to indicate what you are talking about to those who have no idea.

Also thousands of members, including myself find that PREDOMINANTLY the lettering and numbering is on the front of the propeller when looking at it head on mounted on the motor or engine, and is PREDOMINANTLY discussed on many threads as being so.
Therefore this will be the case for the mentioned pusher prop on the rear mounted motor of the Stryker.

I can't believe that you have sprung up on this large thread only to post such a degrading contribution.

With respect Gerry I'm not particularly impressed with your poorly worded reply which may have only served to make newer members reluctant to ask future technical questions.
Last edited by soundcheque; Jan 20, 2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:22 AM
rrg
USA, KY, Edgewood
Joined Dec 2007
1,256 Posts
Didn't mean to start something here. It is " blindingly obvious" what a leading edge is. The first thing i did was flip the prop. This ended up with the same results. This is a brand new Stryker, a PUSHER. I bought a PUSHER prop. I end up with a puller I know how to fix it. Just thought i would ask. Gerry i have 24 of these money pitt's..........
rrg is offline Find More Posts by rrg
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:04 AM
Bring It On !!!!!
Newmarket, England.
Joined Aug 2006
688 Posts
You have'nt started any thing at all rrg

Flipping the prop will , as you've seen, have no effect on the thrust direction. It will be more efficient one way though, of course with the leading edge travelling in the direction of rotation first....

The trailing edge travelling in the direction of rotation first will still manage to produce the same thrust direction but less efficient.

The only option is to change the rotation of the prop and motor which you did. all you need to do then is ensure that the leading edge is travelling in the direction of rotation first to give you the max performance.

You got there in the end.. As I said.. It's only easy if you know. If you don't know then ask. It's not normally a problem for most folk to provide some positive input.
Last edited by soundcheque; Jan 20, 2013 at 09:15 AM.