HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:19 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,776 Posts
I remember when you did that paint scheme Moon!!! I like that, & even better is your Slow Stick!! I LOVE the LED's on her!! That's gotta be fun at night!!

I loaded up my ParkZone Super Cub with LED's, always wanted to do the Stryker up, but even if I did I don't think I'd have the guts enough to fly her at night, I'd be too scared, LOL!!! After more than a year & 100+ flights she still makes me nervous during the day when I fly her, I can't imagine how I'd feel flying her at night, LOL!!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:38 PM
Yuma, AZ
Joined Oct 2003
364 Posts
Wondering if anyone has come up with a unique way to reinforce the skids?

Our field is horrible. Asphalt that has been crack sealed over and over again to point of being covered with huge bumps. I keep breaking/tearing off the skids. Got to do something.
splais is offline Find More Posts by splais
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:14 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,936 Posts
I put neon orange duct tape on the skids, and replace the tape whenever it starts looking scruffy.

Doesn't add much structural strength; just a layer of abrasion-protection. But it's nice for aestheics and vis.
pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:37 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrg View Post
Where did you find the day glow tape? Man i have a boat load of those My Little Pony's....
My brother gave me the tape, I think he got it from work or somebody at work or something like that? Having a heck of a time finding more though!

Our house is completely over run with My Little Ponies. Have to admit, I'm a big Pinkie Pie fan having been forced to watch so many episodes, she's hilarious! I like the lady that does Rainbow Dash & Apple Jack's voice, (she's hot! Ashleigh Ball, sings in a band called "Hey Ocean").

Hey Rcoconut,
Thanks!! Yeah I don't have the required "brass pair" either to fly the Stryker Q at night. For night flying, the Slow Stick is about my speed.

The ole Stryker is gaining new fans every time I fly it. This past Saturday I was flying at that large mass of land near my brother's house. The property owner came out with his grand kids to watch, and they kept wanting me to fly the Stryker Q. Had 5 planes with me but they were just all about the Stryker. Had a great day of flying!
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:57 PM
Yuma, AZ
Joined Oct 2003
364 Posts
Having a problem with my Stryker. In high alpha flight I get a lot of wing rock that is hard to control. I don't know if this is a CG problem, power problem or what; but doing slow high alpha flying is proving difficult. Open to any suggestions.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:59 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,776 Posts
After all my flights I have yet to do any High Alpha (I'm always having too much fun Boomeranging or WOT passes), hopefully you'll get some responses soon.... Good luck
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:10 AM
I can fix that!
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Jul 2011
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splais View Post
Having a problem with my Stryker. In high alpha flight I get a lot of wing rock that is hard to control. I don't know if this is a CG problem, power problem or what; but doing slow high alpha flying is proving difficult. Open to any suggestions.
I think that because the prop is behind the elevons (not blowing on the control surfaces), and high alpha causing low airflow across them, you can't help but get wing rocking.
Try it inverted instead, and you'll see that having the rudders out of the shadow of the wing will give you more stability, but upright, there isn't enough air moving across the control surfaces to give any control.
doug.wagner is online now Find More Posts by doug.wagner
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:14 PM
Yuma, AZ
Joined Oct 2003
364 Posts
Well thanks for the tip. Yes flying high alpha stuff inverted works very well. I guess because as stated the rudders are in cleaner air flow.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:27 PM
Yuma, AZ
Joined Oct 2003
364 Posts
Some prop discussion

I've been flying my Stryker on the stock motor with a 45a esc out of a Squall HP because the stock esc failed. The prop I've been using is the apc 7x5e, which is an incredible prop in this plane, aside from the fact it is all around better than the stock prop plus cheaper and more durable. To put comments in perspective - I like going fast, but also like aerobatics and trying to go 100mph is not that important to me. The plane goes PLENTY fast with my setup and actually has true unlimited vertical capability.

I just received two Graupner Speed 6.5x6.5 props after reading how good they are. I must be missing something because it does not pull as many amps, generate as many watts, or pull anywhere near as well as the apc. Now this testing was only on the ground with a meter because the weather is horrible. When I was holding the plane at wot I would estimate the apc pull is nearly twice that of the graupner.

Anyone want to comment?

PS: On another subject, this is the backhanded frisbee launch I use and have found to be very easy and comfortable. You don't throw it, just let it fly out of your hand.
Last edited by splais; Jan 10, 2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:16 PM
rrg
USA, KY, Edgewood
Joined Dec 2007
1,289 Posts
Hey splais, i might be reading this wrong. Are you saying that you were flying the 7x5e prop on the stock esc when it failed? Because i'm getting ready to do the same thing....
rrg is offline Find More Posts by rrg
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:39 PM
Yuma, AZ
Joined Oct 2003
364 Posts
Yes, but need to qualify that. First I THINK I ran my meter on it and it was pulling 44amps at wot on the ground. But I had a few things that may have contributed to its failure - a couple of really hard crashes, one that was at close to full throttle and straight into the ground. I also had a couple of accidental full throttle runs with no prop on motor. Don't know if these things contributed or not. I have flown the dog snot out of it using the 45a Squall esc with no problem at all. Hope this helps, think you will be fine
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:35 PM
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Dec 2012
12 Posts
I'm looking for a new airframe for the parts in the F27Q. I'm not a big fan of flying wings so I'm gutting mine. What could I put these parts in for a slower flight?
davebales is offline Find More Posts by davebales
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:40 PM
Bring It On !!!!!
Newmarket, England.
Joined Aug 2006
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebales View Post
I'm looking for a new airframe for the parts in the F27Q. I'm not a big fan of flying wings so I'm gutting mine. What could I put these parts in for a slower flight?
The parts will go in anything that parkzone make, including all the warbird type models. You could run the motor on 2s lipos to accomodate the larger props.

You'll have 4 servos so that will work for dual aileron, elevator and rudder and of course you have the excellent 2200kv motor and 40 amp esc which has 55 amp burst capability.

The equipment will also fit into a 2 meter glider such as the Parkzone Radian and Pro , just to give examples.
The Parkzone models already come ready to fly but I'm just using the size of the models as a rough guide for you.

The range of Multiplex models are very good foam (Elapor) units which usually come with the need to install all your own equipment.

If you're trying to get away from flying wings then that may be a place to start. The Easy Glider Pro is an instant suggestion for 2s and although it is classed as a "Hotliner" you may well be pleasantly surprised with the Blizzard, a stunning performer which would be excellent for the power set up of the Stryker either on 3 s for max performance or on 2s for a more sedate glider.

Only needing servos and esc the Graupner Elektro Junior S is a beautiful model too. It comes supplied with the motor and spinner suitable for the plane but requires everything else.
http://www.gliders.uk.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G4565

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...+pro&FORM=IGRE

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...2-18&sp=-1&sk=

Of course you could always sell your Stryker as it is and then fund your next project without having to butcher the Stryker. It will sell easily providing it's in good condition.
soundcheque is offline Find More Posts by soundcheque
Last edited by soundcheque; Jan 15, 2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:27 AM
Austin, Texas
Joined Dec 2005
254 Posts
I second the 2 meter idea...
bd5wingnut is offline Find More Posts by bd5wingnut
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:06 PM
I can fix that!
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Jul 2011
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebales View Post
I AM a big fan of the flying wing. I'll take the carcass when you're done!
doug.wagner is online now Find More Posts by doug.wagner