HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:23 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,762 Posts
She looks good & you more patient than I am that's for sure, LOL, I just wanna fly!! I can hardly wait 'til my batts are charged!!

Nice colors, she'll really make orientation easy for you!!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:44 AM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrg View Post
OK Moonbeam, i'll head out today and get it !! I think the corsair is gonna be jealous......
Just make sure to follow the recommendations you've read in this forum. I'll list the stuff I did:

1. Replace the control rods and horns with better Dubro ones.

2. (Is a "maybe" depending):
Completely stock out of the box with a 2200 25C 3S lipo I radar clocked mine at 94mph straight and level (4ft. alt), down the runway with NO wind. So it's plenty fine for the first several flights as is. BUT, if you decide you want just a tad more speed and performance, you can use either a 7x5 sport APC or 7x6 sport APC prop. If you do, you'll be right at the ESC's limits, so you'll want a higher rated ESC. In my case I got lucky and found an E-Flite 60amp Pro ESC in the RCG classifieds for dirt cheap and never flown.

Also, if it helps, here's my Tx settings on my DX7 (old version):

Ailerons (elevons): High Rates- Expo- 80%, 100% throws (D/R)
Rudders: High Rates- Expo- 55%, 85% throws (D/R)
Elevator (elevons): High Rates- Expo- 75%, 100% throws (D/R)

Ailerons (elevons): Low Rates- Expo- 85%, 55% throws (D/R)
Rudders: Low Rates- Expo- 70%, 85% throws (D/R)
Elevator (elevons): Low Rates- Expo- 80%, 55% throws (D/R)

To prevent the "elevons" from bottoming out (extending too far and hitting the foam), I show my "travel adjust" for the elevator to be 96% both down & up.

For "Differential" in the settings you'll want: "delta" for the wing type.

And then for safety reasons I set my timer at 4 minute countdown. That way I KNOW I have enough juice to get her back on the ground.

Hope that helps, feel free to PM me any questions, or just post them here for a variety of excellent suggestions!
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:46 AM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,212 Posts
SPLAIS,
You'll NEVER lose sight of that thing!!! Nice job!

Plus (Heaven forbid), you ever lose it in some woods, she'll be real easy to find.
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:01 AM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Sep 2012
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post

1. Replace the control rods and horns with better Dubro ones.
Is this still recommended if your stock control horns came with the backplates?
GooberRC is offline Find More Posts by GooberRC
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:35 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberRC View Post
Is this still recommended if your stock control horns came with the backplates?
nah, with back plates its fine. The stock rods are rather weak though.
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:01 AM
Yuma, AZ
Joined Oct 2003
363 Posts
My stock rods and horns have been fine. The latest version stryker horns have back plates and screws. The pushrods seem weak but have held up fine. That being said I do watch them and someday will probably change then out.

I'm an all thumbs kind of flyer. With the recommended throws I fly 50% expo on high and 30% on low, seems to work ok and not to sensitive. I also ditch those fragile stock props and am flying apc 7x5e props. I thought everything was ok, but best I can tell I fried my esc the other day. I have ordered a 60amp Turnigy but in the mean time I'm flying a 45amp Squall HP esc I had. That 7x5e prop is showing 44amps at WOT on the workbench.

PS: moonbeam, could you let us know what specific dubro rods and Clevis' your using. Thanks. And, yeah,hope that color really shows up, it's black on bottom. Haven't flown it yet because I'm waiting for props .
splais is offline Find More Posts by splais
Last edited by splais; Dec 28, 2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:14 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,762 Posts
I believe it's the Du-Bro Kwik-Link 12" 2-56 Rods with the clevis attached.

Catalog No. 185, at least in the beginning when guys were replacing 'em this is what they were using & suggested.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:31 PM
rrg
USA, KY, Edgewood
Joined Dec 2007
1,276 Posts
Just picked it up tonight and will be sitting down to check it out.Hey Moonbeam thanks for the settings, just so happens i use the DX-7.
rrg is online now Find More Posts by rrg
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:35 PM
Yuma, AZ
Joined Oct 2003
363 Posts
Missing something. Could someone tell me why some people are saying to use an apc sport prop instead of the "e" prop? Thanks.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:17 AM
rrg
USA, KY, Edgewood
Joined Dec 2007
1,276 Posts
So i am putting the Stryker together tonight and all of a sudden it hit me that a lot of rudder might come into play with this wing(my first). I'm mostly fly ailerons with hardly any rudder. Am i in for a big supprise here? The bad kind?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:30 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splais View Post
Missing something. Could someone tell me why some people are saying to use an apc sport prop instead of the "e" prop? Thanks.
If I remember there's something with the E prop pulling more amps at WOT? But I'm not sure, I've never tried the E prop, only the S, sorry, hopefully somebody else will have a better explanation.....
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:37 AM
Bring It On !!!!!
Newmarket, England.
Joined Aug 2006
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
If I remember there's something with the E prop pulling more amps at WOT? But I'm not sure, I've never tried the E prop, only the S, sorry, hopefully somebody else will have a better explanation.....
Seems a lot of guys are using the 7 x 5 "Sport or Nitro" prop with 4s .

However I have used both the E prop and the Sport prop on 3s.

Can't remember the amps draw for either but the ESC and motor still holds up very well. My stryker still going after 18 months and no issues with overheating or ESC problems.

Hope this is good info.
soundcheque is offline Find More Posts by soundcheque
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:26 AM
Yuma, AZ
Joined Oct 2003
363 Posts
Rrg, don't worry about it. You don't need rudder to fly plane. The rudder allows you to do all kinds of crazy aerobatics. The Stryker is a great aerobatic plane and recovers very quickly.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:52 AM
rrg
USA, KY, Edgewood
Joined Dec 2007
1,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splais View Post
Rrg, don't worry about it. You don't need rudder to fly plane. The rudder allows you to do all kinds of crazy aerobatics. The Stryker is a great aerobatic plane and recovers very quickly.
Allright... The answer that i was hopeing for....
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:29 AM
Yuma, AZ
Joined Oct 2003
363 Posts
Soundcheque, did you find that one or the other provide more power when on three cells between the sport and the electric. I love the 7x5e prop, can't believe anything could be better - but well, you know how that goes