Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:02 AM
Joined May 2010
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _rob View Post
Hello all,

I've been reading the forum for a little while now and here's my first post. I had a SPECTACULAR crash today on about flight number 20. I misjudged on a high speed low pass and made contact with a tree.

I recovered all of the important parts and have a lot of the parts on hand; to include the airframe, not to include servos.

My ESC, reciever, battery and motor are ok, but my servos didn't fare so well. The control arms broke on both servos in one wing.

My question is, how do I take the control arms off of the servos in order to replace them, and then once they are back together how do I re center? The screw turns and doesn't come out. Does this mean that the servo is broken or am I missing something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I would really check the servo's. I also had a crash (actually a mid air) and broke the arms off. Two servo's still worked but upon close inspection had found that I had actually bent the output shafts slightly when the arms broke. For the investment, you are probably safer going with new servos so there is no question on reliability when you get back in the air.
ghueser is offline Find More Posts by ghueser
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:04 AM
lawndart aerobatic ace!
Joplin, Misery
Joined Mar 2007
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strykerf27q View Post
Can you post a video of your Stryker doing a blender? I would love to see what it looks like and learn how.
Unfortunetely my work schedule is screwy now, and I don't get a chance to go out to the field on the days when somebody else is around to run a camera. A blender is pretty straightforward though, actually one of the easier tricks to learn. You'll need quite a bit of altitude learning it though. It's pretty much a high speed dive with a high rate aileron roll that you snap to an inverted flat spin. When doing it with a stryker though, you can't just roll out, and adding throttle while in the spin just makes it go faster. To exit out I personally push the nose back over to a dive, wait for the rotation to stop, then fly the plane out.

You might check the following link out, Josh aka BoneDoc does a great video with a transmitter overlay so you can see the stick movements. He also does a whole string of video's on different aerobatic tricks.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=891552
gr8taz nitro is offline Find More Posts by gr8taz nitro
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:03 AM
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Diksmuide
Joined Dec 2011
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _rob View Post
I have the same setup. As far as I know, there are only two available mix slots on the DX6i, so we aren't able to program the elevator into the mix. Have you tried gliding around slowly with the "airbrakes" activated? I have found that to be lots of fun. I have also taken to landing with them on. Great feature for the plane.
Yup ,tried to glide with brakes on .that's why i want de elevator in de same mix ,to let it levell nice .
One option is to buy a dx7s or dx8 ?
Second option using two switches ?
Deneddy is offline Find More Posts by Deneddy
Old Jul 19, 2012, 01:15 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Well just got back from the maiden flight and WOW what a beast this thing is,cant belive the shear speed of it,and thats on standard parts.But before i got to see this i had a job launching it.
First launch went staright up and i just caught it before it hit the ground,buti must have had my expo all wrong cause it was so twitchy I only had to tap the sticks and it turned,and that was on low rates so i bout it down and dialed in about 45% expo on low rates.
So i was ready for my second attempt and trew it in the air didnt catch it in time and it dived nose first into the ground,i now have a squashed nose held together with tape,tried again and didnt catch it,and a third didnt catch it.
Time to try the side throw method and first time almost had it but second time gave it a bit more welly and it pretty much flew out of my hand.
Once in the air the new expo did the trick,still very responsive though,did a few circuts only had to click it a few times for some up elevator trim apart from that it flew nice and level.Battery ran out and i glided it in and flared it up for a nice flat landing.
Unfortunatly got called away before i could use my other 2 batteries so I'll have to try some rolls and loops next time.
Any tips for those????
Got called away before i could use my other two batterys
megadaz is offline Find More Posts by megadaz
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:29 PM
Joined Mar 2012
139 Posts
should have gotten an apc 7X6 prop before even maidening it. I messed the front of my first stryker all up because of the terrible stock prop.
strykerf27q is offline Find More Posts by strykerf27q
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:37 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Is there anything on the phoenix sim that flys like the stryker??
megadaz is offline Find More Posts by megadaz
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:46 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strykerf27q View Post
should have gotten an apc 7X6 prop before even maidening it. I messed the front of my first stryker all up because of the terrible stock prop.
I might be misremembering, but I think that the APC 7x6 sometimes has proven a bit much for the stock setup.

Your mileage may vary, but I happily run 7x5's (APC and Master AirScrew).

Plenty of thrust and speed for these old bones.

Dave

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Jul 19, 2012, 04:21 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Megadaz...nothing tricky about loops and rolls. Just move the stick. It will roll super fast. I usr 65% expo on low rates. Even with stock prop it should take off just fine but a 7x5 prop will make it much easier.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Jul 19, 2012, 04:39 PM
Norge
Joined Aug 2011
50 Posts
New stock motor with higher KV.

Old one is 2200kv. New one is 2250kv.

Did anybody who recently bought a stryker get it with the new 2250 kv motor installed?

Here is two links.
http://shop.smallsize.no/product_inf...6b85363bfe68ed
http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/aeroon...er_spares.html
Exsodius is offline Find More Posts by Exsodius
Last edited by Exsodius; Jul 19, 2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 04:42 PM
Norge
Joined Aug 2011
50 Posts
Do you guys think the ball bearings in the motor will last longer with the esc programmed with brake on?
Exsodius is offline Find More Posts by Exsodius
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:24 PM
Joined Mar 2012
139 Posts
mine are the 2200kv motors but i just datalogged it today and it got up to 108k rpms on a 4s going with the wind
strykerf27q is offline Find More Posts by strykerf27q
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:25 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Dec 2005
254 Posts
The difference would be so infinitesimal that I would not worry about it. Good bearings last forever, bad bearings go bad no matter how you pamper them.
bd5wingnut is offline Find More Posts by bd5wingnut
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:41 PM
United States, ID, Sandpoint
Joined Apr 2009
696 Posts
Thanks for the help. Sounds like a 7x5 prop might help along with the right wing right hand launch. I may just be tossing it too hard instead of focusing on a smooth level release.
crobar is offline Find More Posts by crobar
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:46 PM
United States, ID, Sandpoint
Joined Apr 2009
696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsodius View Post
New stock motor with higher KV.

Old one is 2200kv. New one is 2250kv.

Did anybody who recently bought a stryker get it with the new 2250 kv motor installed?

Here is two links.
http://shop.smallsize.no/product_inf...6b85363bfe68ed
http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/aeroon...er_spares.html
I recieved mine last week and it has a 2200KV motor but is has the updated horns with backplates.
crobar is offline Find More Posts by crobar
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:46 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobar View Post
Thanks for the help. Sounds like a 7x5 prop might help along with the right wing right hand launch. I may just be tossing it too hard instead of focusing on a smooth level release.
I humbly suggest the right wing, left hand launch..........right hand on the ail/ele stick........

yes, not a toss, just guide it away......just help it track out of your left hand, fingers on top, thumb underneath, and keep the wings level as you release your grip!!!!.... with enough throttle to fly-off and climb-out with little or no up-elevator...........

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Last edited by pugsam; Jul 19, 2012 at 07:08 PM. Reason: my wife just reminded me how little my opinion matters....