SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:26 PM
Fly Fast!
scotia ,NY
Joined Jul 2008
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvaSpeed View Post
Over the head, first throw it then throttle smoothly.
I dont like the throw ,then apply power method,
i would rather go 1/2 to 3/4 power then do the
over the head launch,i did the over the head launch
with my mini stryker,then gave it throttle,and it bashed
into the ground..!
Now its fine i go to 1/2 throttle,then throw it and it works all the time for me!

I do understand the safety about launching it first,then giving it throttle,but
im afraid of doing that then by the time i do give it throttle ,it will be to late and
crash !
dbgood is offline Find More Posts by dbgood
Last edited by dbgood; Apr 22, 2012 at 11:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:29 PM
Fly Fast!
scotia ,NY
Joined Jul 2008
627 Posts
My Funjet Ultra i give it 3/4 throttle ,then launch it
but it has a crazy torque roll to it when launching,i
hate it ,hope my Stryker wont do the same!
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:36 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by photecs View Post
Grovey,

Nice job man.. let me add my 2 cents...
When you launch it - hold the plane like you are now on the leading edge of the right wing with your left hand, but put your fingers on top and thumb on the bottom of the wing... don't toss it, but rather just a nice "guide" into the right direction...
I'm sure you'll find it much better.
My very first launch wasn't pretty, but it made it...
But launches #2 and #3... nose dive! Been there... done that.
Then I got the 7X5 sport prop.... never looked back.
I will try that thanks! I am glad the maiden flight is over and the nerves are out of the way.

I am guessing I need to start concentrating on using rudder more, and not bank and yank this plane. I don't think this plane likes banked turns too much, unless of course I need more time flying to really understand the characteristics.

I would like to hear some more from y'all about this if you can impart some knowledge and pearls of wisdom on what I should be aiming for.

I almost ditched the plane as you can see in the video towards the end. It seems that lots of speed is lost by too aggressive of a turn. Then again this was only end flight, so might be a bit too early to try and judge everything on this single flight.
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:38 PM
Hope is not a Strategy
Australia, VIC, Caroline Springs
Joined Apr 2011
1,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovey View Post
I will try that thanks! I am glad the maiden flight is over and the nerves are out of the way.

I am guessing I need to start concentrating on using rudder more, and not bank and yank this plane. I don't think this plane likes banked turns too much, unless of course I need more time flying to really understand the characteristics.

I would like to hear some more from y'all about this if you can impart some knowledge and pearls of wisdom on what I should be aiming for.

I almost ditched the plane as you can see in the video towards the end. It seems that lots of speed is lost by too aggressive of a turn. Then again this was only end flight, so might be a bit too early to try and judge everything on this single flight.
have you flown much before the stryker mate?

my only advise is really just stick with low rates for now, and use calm and slow movements on your sticks, maybe bump up your expo a little to help at the start and then back it off the more confident and smoother your controlling gets.
Lojik is offline Find More Posts by Lojik
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:56 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,949 Posts
IMHO, based on 200+ launches, the best technique is:

1. Left hand -- holds the Q's right wing. Fingers on top, thumb on bottom.

2. Right hand -- is on the TX.

3. With right hand, apply throttle (at least 50%, maybe 75%.....enough so that you feel the Stryker wanting to pull away strongly). Then move hand to the right stick -- ready to apply a tweak of elevator or aileron if necessary.

4. With left hand, smoothly guide the plane forward and away, keeping its wings level.

Piece of cake.

I've never had any launch problem, since I started doing it this way.

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:59 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
@Lojik

I am more of a helicopter guy though I have flown planes before. I have several ultra micros including the beast 3D.

I hope I was on low rates in that video. If I wasn't that may explain things but I will be more aware next time. I was at the RC club, extremely nervous with lots of people there. I don't remember everything lol.

I hear ya on the expo. I may turn it up for the next flight.

@pugsam

Is it bad for the plane and/or motor if too much throttle is engaged before launch?
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:08 AM
Hope is not a Strategy
Joined Apr 2011
1,482 Posts
Hey groovy, same here but being a helicopter guy you should be used to using rudder in your turns. All good, just keep up the practice.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:15 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,949 Posts
Quote:
.....Is it bad for the plane and/or motor if too much throttle is engaged before launch?
If you have too much throttle, it could be tricky to control in the first second or two, until you get some altitude and attain a stable cruise.
pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:46 AM
USA, AR, Fort Smith
Joined Aug 2010
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post

3. With right hand, apply throttle (at least 50%, maybe 75%.....enough so that you feel the Stryker wanting to pull away strongly). Then move hand to the right stick -- ready to apply a tweak of elevator or aileron if necessary.

4. With left hand, smoothly guide the plane forward and away, keeping its wings level.

Piece of cake.

This is the BEST way to launch the stryker, and any other hand launch planes (except holding it from the back of the fuselage instead of the wing). This way of launching is much easier if you have a neck strap connected to your controler since you have to move your right hand from one stick to the other.
galdionite is offline Find More Posts by galdionite
Old Apr 23, 2012, 02:53 AM
Hope is not a Strategy
Joined Apr 2011
1,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by galdionite View Post
This is the BEST way to launch the stryker, and any other hand launch planes (except holding it from the back of the fuselage instead of the wing). This way of launching is much easier if you have a neck strap connected to your controler since you have to move your right hand from one stick to the other.
Ok I want to try this, can someone make a vid or describe in detail where on the right wing you should hold it and how to move your arm.

Are you holding it at the end of the wing and holding it out at 90 deg to your body or are you holding mid wing and kinda behind your arm?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:11 AM
Joined Mar 2006
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojik View Post
Ok I want to try this, can someone make a vid or describe in detail where on the right wing you should hold it and how to move your arm.

Are you holding it at the end of the wing and holding it out at 90 deg to your body or are you holding mid wing and kinda behind your arm?

Only about five pages back in this topic I posted this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
No handlaunch is no biggy at all, see how it's really well and easy done: (not my vid, but this guy invented the PERFECT way to do it!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI-lF...ure=plpp_video

Furthermore you want to replace the prop with a 7x6. (you probably need a washer too, because the mount that comes with the Stryker can only tighten very thick props.

You will have a blast!!!!

Understandably you might not want to read up "that many..." pages back, but on the previous page of your post this was posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojik View Post
This is just personal preference but I would not do an overhand launch with power, I have seen too many people new to launching fail at that and usually bust a finger or two or dunk the model nose first

try the below:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebSlnlK8V5U

Also you are running a 7x5E so this this will not even need 75% power, 50% and she will float right out of your hand, trust me 7x5e and this bird is a floater on half throttle.

took me 2-3 goes to get the launch right but once you got it down your sweet as. there is very little torque from that prop setup on stock so don't worry, keep rates on low.
So all the information IS right there, what else do you want?
MartinT is offline Find More Posts by MartinT
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:40 AM
Joined Mar 2006
494 Posts
Quote:

You don't want to rudder turn this plane (unless you are doing it as a special maneuver) This plane can be considered as a high performance plane, (like in comparison to the real world: a (fighter) jet) So that means you do NOT use your rudder when making a turn. (As opposed to other types of planes, like high/low winged trainers, biplanes, propeller driven aircraft, sailplanes and such. With those you DO use rudder when turning.

Did you use the control throws from the user manual?

Try the low rates, but even better (and use them in conjunction): use MORE exponential. (like 50%!)

Some guys on the forum here will whine and say stupid things like "that is for sissies" Most of the time they only say that just to brag and pretend to be a boss, but for the ones that are seriously saying that: They are idiots, and they really have no f@cking clue! (they probably really don't : they do not understand the effect of it, and don't know that it is used in the real world as well!) Of course some guys don't NEED it because they are really good sticks, but even then, it not same to convict the use of it...

All exponential does is make the sticks around the center a little LESS sensitive. which is good so now you can move the sticks a bit without flipping the jet over on it's back. If you NEED to make an aggressive movement, you HAVE the full control throw available to you, just move the stick to it's extreme.
So what exponential does for you: it makes you a smoother (i.e. better) pilot: because you can make smaller corrections that are smooth, and not so twitchy.
"Exponential" is everywhere in vehicles in the real world, be it as a speed sensitive type of system (in power steering) or deflection limiters or what ever. So as it is widely used in the real world, to say then that in modeling it is for sissies and not real is just as stupid as guys saying that foam planes is not real modeling, since there is no balsa in it...

Well just my 2cts...
MartinT is offline Find More Posts by MartinT
Last edited by MartinT; Apr 23, 2012 at 05:51 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:02 AM
Hope is not a Strategy
Joined Apr 2011
1,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
Only about five pages back in this topic I posted this:
Understandably you might not want to read up "that many..." pages back, but on the previous page of your post this was posted:
So all the information IS right there, what else do you want?
Sorry if i'm going over the same topic but you don't need to get angry at me

I was only wondering how he did his as he said he launched from the right wing with fingers on top:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Piece of cake.
The video you and I posted and the way I've been doing it is launching off the left wing with fingers underneath which is kinda the opposite way round in my head and was wondering what his motions were, I was asking him on here so I could get a better understanding of another way to launch the stryker

didn't mean to upset you, sorry
Last edited by Lojik; Apr 23, 2012 at 06:11 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:10 AM
Fly Fast!
scotia ,NY
Joined Jul 2008
627 Posts
Are you guys using the tape that came with the kit to
attach the rudders?
Any problems doing it that way?
Or are some using CA ?
Thanks..
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:26 AM
Hope is not a Strategy
Joined Apr 2011
1,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbgood View Post
Are you guys using the tape that came with the kit to
attach the rudders?
Any problems doing it that way?
Or are some using CA ?
Thanks..
I know two guys who fly there strykers pretty hard and only used the supplied foam tape, personally I used the supplied foam tape and also did what they suggested in the manual and run a bead of CA down the join to seal the rudder in place