HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:47 AM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,147 Posts
Interesting....

I've been hearing a lot of guys saying the servos strip after a while, and that you should get metal gear servos to replace the stock ones. Well, looking at the parts listing on page 55 of the manual, it comes stock with "PKZ1090 DSV130 3-wire Digital Servo Metal Gear". Hmm? How the heck are you guys stripping metal gear servos & how can you be sure another brand wouldn't end up the same way?!
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2011, 03:18 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickwitit View Post
Excellent idea Gryphon! Here's my measurements with my calipers.

distance between between adapter nut and adapter knurled back piece after finger tight = 9.83mm (or somewhere between 9.73 and 9.91 depending on where exactly the calipers are placed)

thickness of APC 6.5x6.5 Pylon = 9.97mm
" " 7x5 Sport = 9.63mm
" " 7x6 Sport = 10.35mm
stock prop = 11.55mm

So this explains why I'm having issues with the APC's. I will just use a washer and be done with it.
Good work...good post.

I meant to follow my post with some APC prop measurements but I got distracted.
I'm out of town now but when I get back I will take a bunch of measurements and post them after converting from inches.

-----------

Guys can we please get 1 or 2 more of you to check the dimensions of your stock prop? and stock adapters?

Just helps to make sure there are no surprises and that there is no manufacturing quality control issues .... anywhere.

Thanks,

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Aug 14, 2011, 06:51 AM
Gistel, Belgium
Joined Mar 2004
572 Posts
Hi peeps...

Had the F27c for years,then funjet, now funjet for a long time ( is now R I P ) and want to go 27Q now ...

Any known issues / must do mods / do's or dont's I need to know ...?

tnx !
guy5927 is offline Find More Posts by guy5927
Old Aug 14, 2011, 08:33 AM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
I've been hearing a lot of guys saying the servos strip after a while, and that you should get metal gear servos to replace the stock ones. Well, looking at the parts listing on page 55 of the manual, it comes stock with "PKZ1090 DSV130 3-wire Digital Servo Metal Gear". Hmm? How the heck are you guys stripping metal gear servos & how can you be sure another brand wouldn't end up the same way?!
It's not the metal gears that strip, the small pins that hold the gears in place are mounted into the plastic case, and the output shaft is supported by the thin plastic case, the pins bend, or the shafts egg out the plastic allowing the gears to push apart and jump teeth. HS-85s have larger gearshafts, a bearing supporting the output shaft, and stronger plastic, far more resistant to damage and stripping.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Old Aug 14, 2011, 09:11 AM
United States, OH, Mentor
Joined Jun 2007
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
It's not the metal gears that strip, the small pins that hold the gears in place are mounted into the plastic case, and the output shaft is supported by the thin plastic case, the pins bend, or the shafts egg out the plastic allowing the gears to push apart and jump teeth. HS-85s have larger gearshafts, a bearing supporting the output shaft, and stronger plastic, far more resistant to damage and stripping.
Weren't some people losing servos as well due to the arm binding actually into the plastic,when the put the right stick in the corner? Mine was doing this,but my throws were even,so I didnt wanna change anything. So I just cut out some foam to give the servo arms all the room they needed. No problems after many many flights. But is this bad for anything?
Mingus The Red is offline Find More Posts by Mingus The Red
Old Aug 14, 2011, 09:13 AM
Yen
Orlando, FL
Joined Aug 2004
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
-----------

Guys can we please get 1 or 2 more of you to check the dimensions of your stock prop? and stock adapters?

Just helps to make sure there are no surprises and that there is no manufacturing quality control issues .... anywhere.

Thanks,

Gryphon
using sickwitit's order of measurements:

distance between between adapter nut and adapter knurled back piece after finger tight = 9.73mm (or somewhere between 9.65 and 9.8 depending on where exactly the calipers are placed)

thickness 7x5 Sport = 9.62mm
" " 7x6 Sport = 10.35mm
stock prop = 11.45mm

used digital calipers
Yen is offline Find More Posts by Yen
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:08 AM
*Almost* fails at crashing
Greystanes, Sydney
Joined Apr 2007
158 Posts
I had my stock servo's strip out after my 3rd parachute landing. Replaced all of them with these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8761

They are a perfect fit size wise. Unfortunately the stock arms are slightly shorter than the PZ ones but I made up for that with 150% throws. They are nice and smooth and very strong, Had a great day blending
kizza42 is offline Find More Posts by kizza42
Old Aug 14, 2011, 02:12 PM
Joined Jun 2007
172 Posts
Rainin today,so I decided to change up the plastic parts on her with a metallic scheme. Changed the canopy look too. As I never was to thrilled with the way the nose area of this plane looked. I put the black nose paint on the day I got her. Dunno If I like this better,but it's different, And grows on me each time i look at it. Well over 150 flawless flights now,she gets some cosmetic changes for fun.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 02:51 PM
Joined Dec 2008
344 Posts
Mingus, nice job on your new paint scheme! Might I ask what kind of paint did you use?

Bob
thinman is offline Find More Posts by thinman
Old Aug 14, 2011, 03:11 PM
Joined Jun 2007
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinman View Post
Mingus, nice job on your new paint scheme! Might I ask what kind of paint did you use?

Bob
Nothin fancy, For the canopy I used Rustoleum "Specialty Metallic" 4 bucks from home depot,silver,sprayed on,in three liiiight even coats. And the wings,motor area and front fins area,(The other plastic areas), I got some "Scratch fix" "bright silver metallic PS2 Chrysler" touch up paint in a tiny bottle. It has more of a reflective finish,but is a pain,as it needs to be brushed on. And keeping the brush strokes out of the end result is a trick.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 03:17 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
Yea thats the thing. In the Manual is says 35-40mm of travel on H/R's!! When you Stick your Right Stick in either of the Bottom corners it was causing the Binding. When in the corners could easily give yea in the neighborhood of 60mm. But the Z bends would prevent that from happening! Binding and stripped servos.

Its not the gear but the pins as mentioned. But its still a stripped servo.
I toned down my H/R's to 22mm or so. Now that gives me 35mm when in the corners.

I like the idea of cutting out the foam like Mingus done.
I've got 10 or so flights on the Q and servos are fine. 2 more today...Loves it!!
But noticed today 20mm full up Elev it was harder to do a Parachute landing.
But i was running a 2200mah and i it was all the ways forward. I got rool of that non slip rubber for your cabinets im going too glue to the bottom.

Its quite the difference inverted to with it forward and bigger batt vs the 1800mah's i have been testing.

So im going too up it 25-27mm and see.
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2011, 03:45 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,878 Posts
Our club had a fun fly BBQ today and there was a radar gun there which was calibrated BUT I'm not sure how accurate it was, as some of the readings from other planes were inconsistent.

Anyways, my Q's fastest speed from a Dive was 98 MPH, and around 90 mph on flat and level passes. I am running a cut down prop, which is now 6.6.5, which prob reduces speed a little BUT way better vertical.

Still - if the gun was accurate, the speed is not bad.

The only planes faster was a model called a Cloud Dancer which was clocked at 101 mph.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Aug 14, 2011, 03:46 PM
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Nov 2010
340 Posts
We were having trouble with hand launching, so we wanted to give a try at putting some landing gear on my son's F-27Q Stryker. I hadn't seen any photos of people giving this a try on the newer Stryker, so I wasn't sure what gear to try. I ended up getting the gear for a Hobby Lobby F-9F Panther for $14. Popped out the belly wheel and dug out the foam for the nose wheel assembly. Made plywood mounts for the rears and glued them to the foam.

We tried it out this morning and the landing gear worked great. Though, a rough landing did bend the wire on the nose wheel a bit.
gpraceman is offline Find More Posts by gpraceman
Old Aug 14, 2011, 05:58 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpraceman View Post
We were having trouble with hand launching, so we wanted to give a try at putting some landing gear on my son's F-27Q Stryker. I hadn't seen any photos of people giving this a try on the newer Stryker, so I wasn't sure what gear to try. I ended up getting the gear for a Hobby Lobby F-9F Panther for $14. Popped out the belly wheel and dug out the foam for the nose wheel assembly. Made plywood mounts for the rears and glued them to the foam.

We tried it out this morning and the landing gear worked great. Though, a rough landing did bend the wire on the nose wheel a bit.
Ha thats looks Sick raceman!! Its going too cause abit of drag but taking off on pavement should add some coolness!!
My Clubs runway is grass. So mine well never see Landing gear.
HK has some decent retracts for pretty good prices as well.

Retracts would be the Bomb for-sure. You'd Prob have to cut the skid plates but would be sick!!
Have you flown her like this yet? Should get some vids for sure. I'd like too see that take off!!!
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Aug 14, 2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 07:40 PM
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Nov 2010
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Ha thats looks Sick raceman!! Its going too cause abit of drag but taking off on pavement should add some coolness!!
My Clubs runway is grass. So mine well never see Landing gear.
HK has some decent retracts for pretty good prices as well.

Retracts would be the Bomb for-sure. You'd Prob have to cut the skid plates but would be sick!!
Have you flown her like this yet? Should get some vids for sure. I'd like too see that take off!!!
We were not worried about the drag at this point. My son is still learning, so being a little slower is helpful, not hurtful.

We gave them a try this morning. They worked out quite well. We shot some video, but I have to figure out how to get it off our video camera.

I don't think you could put retracts on this plane. The foam is too thin in back of the fuselage.
gpraceman is offline Find More Posts by gpraceman
Last edited by gpraceman; Aug 14, 2011 at 07:46 PM.