HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2011, 06:48 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
The APC 7x5 sport (NOT the "E"), as recommended by Alucard was one awesome $1.89 upgrade in my book. Balance, bolt on & go.

Everything's better: launching, acceleration, climb. Maybe there's a 3-or-4mph penalty to the top end (as he said), but I really don't notice much. The benefits far outweigh a slightly slower ship.

It's cheep so try one.

Another thing I did was enable the prop brake on the esc. Now, I glide in silence- and faster, too.

Before, there was WAY too much windmilling & noise going on.
Ok, no one will tell me why to not get the "e" 7x5 prop....my hobby shop has that one in stock and I am grounded until I get a prop so please tell me why the e prop wont work....
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2011, 07:15 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
Ok, no one will tell me why to not get the "e" 7x5 prop....my hobby shop has that one in stock and I am grounded until I get a prop so please tell me why the e prop wont work....
The "E" prop with its wide blades pulls quite a bit more amps through your motor than the 7x5 Sport prop. Most likely too much for the motor.
The 7x5 Sport prop has slimmer blades and pulls less juice. A little more than the stock 6x6 prop, but not nearly as much as the 7x5E will pull.

If you're in very cool weather and do a lot of gliding, the 7x5E may work OK. But you'd have to be very careful with it.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Jul 22, 2011, 07:28 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killab View Post
Thanks for the honest response. I upgraded to an 80 amp esc for this exact reason, I knew at some point i would want to upgrade stuff, and would much rather spend the money once than 2 or even 3 times.

I may in the future switch to 4s batteries, but at the moment i have 7 3s 2200's so would probably stick with those for now.

What is the price of this new motor? (sorry might have missed that post) and also can you tell me if it is heavier than the stock motor. I have notice that this plane could use alittle more weight in the back to help with cg.

Thanks again
A standard Mega 16/25 motor weighs 115g. Q option will be within a few grams of that.
It's also longer, so the extra weight is moved rearward.

Normal price on this size motor is $115 from a US dealer. Hopefully Mega gets us within $5 of that. The first run at dealer price through GryphonRCU will save some money. Not sure just how much.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Jul 22, 2011, 07:53 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
The "E" prop with its wide blades pulls quite a bit more amps through your motor than the 7x5 Sport prop. Most likely too much for the motor.
The 7x5 Sport prop has slimmer blades and pulls less juice. A little more than the stock 6x6 prop, but not nearly as much as the 7x5E will pull.

If you're in very cool weather and do a lot of gliding, the 7x5E may work OK. But you'd have to be very careful with it.
ok, thanks. that just seems weird that a "electric" prop does not work on an electric motor properly, but a "gas" prop works ok. even the hobby shop owner thought that was weird when I told him about everyone using the gas prop.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 08:15 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,776 Posts
Reviewing my order of the 7x5 prop it's the "thin" one and not the 7x5 "sport" one, so is that going to make a difference, or self explanatory??? It's going to be thin, lol
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Jul 22, 2011, 08:41 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Ready for Saturday

DX8 Telemetry. I will have an airspeed read-out on my DX8.

This stuff just barely fit

Battery connectors are Anderson Powerpoles.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Jul 22, 2011, 08:49 PM
Joined May 2011
420 Posts
Just got myself a Stryker but the Gens Ace batteries I was trying to use won't fit. Well, the battery itself fits but the cable goes out through the side, and that won't fit. The connectors are also different. This is the battery I'm trying to use. Is anyone else using it? What's the best way to make it fit? Can I change the connector from the plane or do I need to change my battery connections>? Thanks.
PepeM is offline Find More Posts by PepeM
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:02 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeM View Post
Just got myself a Stryker but the Gens Ace batteries I was trying to use won't fit. Well, the battery itself fits but the cable goes out through the side, and that won't fit. The connectors are also different. This is the battery I'm trying to use. Is anyone else using it? What's the best way to make it fit? Can I change the connector from the plane or do I need to change my battery connections>? Thanks.
yes you need to change it out to ec3 i think it is. I personally changed mine out to xt60 since i buy my batteries from HK.
Killab is offline Find More Posts by Killab
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:03 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
A standard Mega 16/25 motor weighs 115g. Q option will be within a few grams of that.
It's also longer, so the extra weight is moved rearward.

Normal price on this size motor is $115 from a US dealer. Hopefully Mega gets us within $5 of that. The first run at dealer price through GryphonRCU will save some money. Not sure just how much.
so how do i get on that list?
Killab is offline Find More Posts by Killab
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:13 PM
Joined May 2011
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killab View Post
yes you need to change it out to ec3 i think it is. I personally changed mine out to xt60 since i buy my batteries from HK.
I tried hard and I managed to barely squeeze the battery in. I'll change the connectors on the esc tomorrow as I already have plenty of those batteries. Can't wait to fly this baby.
PepeM is offline Find More Posts by PepeM
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:24 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
i am going to be ordering a 6 pack of the APC 7x5 sport props from my LHS tomorrow. He said he has to buy those in packs of 6, and can sell me all 6 for $10. if I buy just one from towerhobbies, its almost $7 after shipping for just one, so might as well get 6! I am willing to trade one of them for one stock prop if anyone wants to trade. interested? I will be getting them Wednesday.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:12 AM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816 View Post
DX8 Telemetry. I will have an airspeed read-out on my DX8.

This stuff just barely fit

Battery connectors are Anderson Powerpoles.

Rick
Can't wait to see your speed results.
jhroof is online now Find More Posts by jhroof
Old Jul 23, 2011, 06:22 AM
Rc Fan From Belgium
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2011
381 Posts
Here is some small vid of me at the beach on holliday in poland with the stryker.
Nothing fancy just a few speed runs and some gliding around.
Dont wanna scare the people on the beach with spins and stuff (also because i dont dare to do it yet haha)

Grts Dave

Parkzone Stryker F-27Q on the beach in Poland - Mielenko (4 min 0 sec)
Anda Inc. is offline Find More Posts by Anda Inc.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 08:25 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
......I spoke to owner of MEGA just now, he said he is willing to install (2) front shields on all the MEGA Q options.
Meaning both ends of the motor will have the bolt pattern.
..........AND there will be no additional charge due to that 2nd front shield.
***Now the motor can be bolted to the F27Q, F27C, or FunJet.This will make many more folks go after the Q option....He wants to cap the dealer price offer to the first 10-12 people (any 16/X/XQ) placing order to avoid issues with dealers. List of names to be provided by me.
All, I know is that I will be looking to see the motors go on F27Q Strykers at first.

Next week, I will try and get the final word on the Q option price increase if any. It will either be no extra charge, $10 at most, and if about $5 I'll just ask him to eat it and not charge extra at all.....at least I'll try.
Seriously...he is a totally great guy and a very good friend, he told me he really prefers not charging extra. He has been too busy to look at it this week.
Your motor build will start early this week.

***Thank you for accepting to step in to help me, and Gary of Custom RC Parts, and MEGA to finalize the best possible design for the MEGA powered F27Q owners.
....and now you can assume the 2nd front shield (output shaft side) will be clocked as before in comparison to the wires.

Gryphon (Longtime MEGA customer...not employee or dealer)
Gryphon,
Thanks for the news about the Q mounting option.

I'm not familar with any other inrunner that provides the option of having front and/or rear mounting. That is really an unique feature and has the potential of not just providing a viable alternative to outrunners on F-27Q's and Funjets but potentially a whole lot of other models that current use the now universally accepted rear mounted outrunners.

Does Dan realise that he has just expanded his potential market for his high performance but affordable inrunners motors by at least a thousand fold by this simple end shield/cap modification????

Having an inrunner that is rear mounted on a conventional x mount that also can have one of his gearboxes mounted on the front to give the ability to turn a large prop just like an outrunner but at greater efficiency can only be described as marketing brilliance!!!

(The extra length of an inrunner, even with a gearbox over that of a outrunner isn't an issue as its common practice to mount outrunners on standoffs or a plywood mounting box from the firewall. Dan just needs to work towards having a x mount included as part of his Q option.)

When the Mega Q option was first mooted I just thought it was a convenient way to mount an inrunner, that we are all familar with due to our experiences with modifying the original Strykers, but you and Murdo, in collaboration with Dan are potentially leading an inrunner revolution that goes well beyond some Parkzone foamies!

Congratulations guys, I don't think you have realised what you've accomplished!

Regards
Peter (Just a recent Mega Motor convert who has bought 9 now with his own money!) M

PS: Can you imagine the potential sales for Q optioned 22 series Megas equipped with gearboxes in the mass ARF market?
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Last edited by Peter M; Jul 23, 2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:23 AM
J. Titors Gr Gr Grandpappy
Charlotte,NC
Joined May 2005
2,036 Posts
First was the control horn pull out, second was the servo gear hop failure, third was plastic clevis pin... these parts are not up to the task.... they emit a foul and unpleasant oder like a dookie filled diaper.
Sonofagun is offline Find More Posts by Sonofagun
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2x0