HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2011, 08:37 PM
More Planes Than Sense
United States, PA, Wexford
Joined Feb 2010
333 Posts
What a Plane!

Picked mine up a week ago and have been waiting for a good day to maiden. Finally yesterday was the day. WOW! What a fun plane to fly! I've only been flying about a year, but after a couple of shaky take offs, I had a ball! Landings went well, too. Can't wait to learn more about flying the great plane.
wgarman is offline Find More Posts by wgarman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2011, 08:50 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killab View Post
so what do you think smoked the motor? what was the amp draw you were putting out?
Amp draw was around 61. But it's SUPER hot out here in Phoenix right now and I didn't let up on it. We were doing Doppler passes downwind at sunset. Really fun and now all my buddies want one.

Anyway, I was WOT a lot, so I'm sure the magnets may have shifted in the can because it was grinding a bit when I tried to spin it.

I usually fly Scorpion motors in all my planes because they can take the Arizona heat. May look into a Scorpion replacement that can handle my abuse...

-Buzzed

Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Jul 05, 2011, 08:55 PM
Fly it like you stole it!
USA, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jun 2009
832 Posts
Just had my first 40c flight

This was definitely the best fit battery for the plane performance wise, but I also got my CG dead on this flight. I brought the plane vertical and throw the sticks into opposite corners, and the Q whipped around and went into a perfect flat spin. I wasn't able to get it to do such great flat spins in my past flights.

Anyways, The Q keeps on getting more and more enjoyable, I had it crawling across the flight line at a walking pace, the flight envelope of these wings are ridiculous!
chevypower1930 is offline Find More Posts by chevypower1930
Old Jul 05, 2011, 09:01 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzed View Post
Amp draw was around 61. But it's SUPER hot out here in Phoenix right now and I didn't let up on it. We were doing Doppler passes downwind at sunset. Really fun and now all my buddies want one.

Anyway, I was WOT a lot, so I'm sure the magnets may have shifted in the can because it was grinding a bit when I tried to spin it.

I usually fly Scorpion motors in all my planes because they can take the Arizona heat. May look into a Scorpion replacement that can handle my abuse...

-Buzzed

I heard 118 degrees in Phoenix the other day. I used to live there. When it's that hot you will burn a motor night flying when it goes down to 98.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jul 05, 2011, 09:03 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Mar 2008
173 Posts
Prop suggestions for stock setup

I bent my stock 6x6 prop during my maiden launch learning curve and want to get some spare props. My LHS's don't have any PZ 6x6 props in stock. Does anyone have any suggestions for some alternative props for the stock setup (ESC and Motor). Will an APC 7x5e prop work? I searched through the thread and only found prop discussions for modded setups..... Thanks.
AeroControl is offline Find More Posts by AeroControl
Old Jul 05, 2011, 09:47 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroControl View Post
I bent my stock 6x6 prop during my maiden launch learning curve and want to get some spare props. My LHS's don't have any PZ 6x6 props in stock. Does anyone have any suggestions for some alternative props for the stock setup (ESC and Motor). Will an APC 7x5e prop work? I searched through the thread and only found prop discussions for modded setups..... Thanks.
APC 7X5 sport(not thin electric)

Graupner cam 6X6, or speed 6.5X6.5

You need to ream them to 8mm, and either use a 1/8" spacer or the E-flite 5mm adapter, if you use the E-flite adapter, you don't need a spacer, but need to ream the prop to 10mm 1/2 way through with a stepped reamer. Posted the numbers a couple pages back, but these are safe for use with the stock 3S setup, and offer improved performance, the 7X5 has a lot more thrust, the 6.5X6.5 graupner has more thrust and speed. APC makes pylon props that look promising, but seems nobody has found any yet.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Old Jul 05, 2011, 09:55 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,741 Posts
very nice

I may have to try those sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816 View Post
Anderson PowerPoles. You need the crimper, but they are awesome. No soldering.

Rick
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jul 05, 2011, 10:03 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
APC 7X5 sport(not thin electric)

Graupner cam 6X6, or speed 6.5X6.5

You need to ream them to 8mm, and either use a 1/8" spacer or the E-flite 5mm adapter, if you use the E-flite adapter, you don't need a spacer, but need to ream the prop to 10mm 1/2 way through with a stepped reamer. Posted the numbers a couple pages back, but these are safe for use with the stock 3S setup, and offer improved performance, the 7X5 has a lot more thrust, the 6.5X6.5 graupner has more thrust and speed. APC makes pylon props that look promising, but seems nobody has found any yet.
APC 6.5x6.5" pylon are available from many sources including tower.
The 7x5e is the best prop 3s.
"Sport" (glow) props are best for higher power levels
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old Jul 05, 2011, 10:16 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
APC makes pylon props that look promising, but seems nobody has found any yet.
APC sells direct, in addition to Tower and other online retailers.
http://www.apcprop.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=6.5

6.5" diameter and pitches from 2.9" to 6.5".
5" through 6.5" pitches are in 1/2" increments for fine tuning.

Prices are good on their site and shipping is fair and quick.

No excuses now!
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Jul 05, 2011, 11:01 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816 View Post
Anderson PowerPoles. You need the crimper, but they are awesome. No soldering.

Rick
Id also like too try these as well!!
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2011, 11:03 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benihama View Post
hey alucard
wich Hitec Servos would you recommend for the Q? Dang this Stryker got a realy nice concept but at some points the quality isnt that good
Yea id like too know aswell!! I think i recall someone saying HS55's ,don't quote me on this!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2011, 11:11 PM
Fly more, bitch less.
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Nov 2010
366 Posts
So still having a blast with my Q. I noticed that the fin/landing skids on mine are getting real beat up and have gotten severely flimsy after multiple landings. This is my first Stryker so is this just a normal "wear and tear" part that needs to constantly be replaced or are my landings too harsh? I've probably flown her about 25-30 times already.
noobiznessflying is offline Find More Posts by noobiznessflying
Old Jul 05, 2011, 11:17 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobiznessflying View Post
So still having a blast with my Q. I noticed that the fin/landing skids on mine are getting real beat up and have gotten severely flimsy after multiple landings. This is my first Stryker so is this just a normal "wear and tear" part that needs to constantly be replaced or are my landings too harsh? I've probably flown her about 25-30 times already.
Nice, I'm going too Maiden mine at the field tomorrow!! Im still waiting on my 2200mah's so all i have now is a Nano 1800Mah. So ill should be able too squeeze a 4-5 min Flight. Im going to be taking it easy anyways. Im working on my Wings with the club and the CFI is there lol. I'm also going too Maiden my NextStar .40 Glow!!
Ive been flying for 8 years but only last year decided too join a Club!! There all excited too see the Q!!

Wish me Luck!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2011, 11:25 PM
Fly more, bitch less.
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Nov 2010
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Nice, I'm going too Maiden mine at the field tomorrow!! Im still waiting on my 2200mah's so all i have now is a Nano 1800Mah. So ill should be able too squeeze a 4-5 min Flight. Im going to be taking it easy anyways. Im working on my Wings with the club and the CFI is there lol. I'm also going too Maiden my NextStar .40 Glow!!
Ive been flying for 8 years but only last year decided too join a Club!! There all excited too see the Q!!

Wish me Luck!!
Good luck man and get ready for an adrenaline rush!
noobiznessflying is offline Find More Posts by noobiznessflying
Last edited by noobiznessflying; Jul 05, 2011 at 11:26 PM. Reason: grammar
Old Jul 05, 2011, 11:26 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Yea id like too know aswell!! I think i recall someone saying HS55's ,don't quote me on this!!
HS65MG would be the bare minimum for this plane.
HS85MG or HS5085MG (digital) would be best if you expect power and speed upgrades.

If they don't quite fit...
dig a bigger hole.
(this is a running theme in Strykers.)
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc