SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 02, 2011, 05:36 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrealpie View Post
So... Today was a great day for flying, Got about 5 flights in and then... The worst happend.. Turns out that the dang control horn is glued to paint, who would of known! It came off the surface at about 8 feet off the ground doing about 73mph. I went to pull up but all it did was roll over and dirt dart. Foam went EVERYWHERE and it launched my battery a good 30 feet. Speed Controller is completely destroyed, the heat sink came off and the wires got severed. the only good thing is my Rx and Motor, as well as all 4 servos. I would recommended drilling 2 holes in the control horn and running some screws into a back plate. Crashing over something as stupid as that. Way to Fk up Parkzone, why would you put good horns on the rudders but not the elevons?
Call HH. They may help with a replacement. Email them the photo.
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2011, 05:40 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickwitit View Post
Holy Ok, that's enough for me. It's time for me to stop being lazy and just add the damn backplates to my elevons. Does anyone have the part numbers for this mod? Can we drill holes in the stock arms and just add the backplates?

Also, has anyone called Horizon about this? They need to do the right thing and ship us the appropriate control arms for free.
Just cut a piece of plastic from any heavy plastic bottle (or 1/16 ply) and use small sheet metal screws.
Old Jul 02, 2011, 05:44 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Could someone comment on this esc brake setting?

...sorry to see/hear of these wrecks, looks like a bottle of foam safe CA will have yall back in the air in no time!
I changed mine to hard brake.
Old Jul 02, 2011, 07:13 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
913 Posts
Finally found a Graupner 6.5X6.5, looks promising for a faster alternative to stock with more thrust. Just got back from trying it out, so far all the measurement are on the stock setup with 2200 3S 25C lipo. It seems there is a decent ammount of difference in readings from everyone, tired lipos, higher C rating, elevation, or just variables in the stock setup, I'm not sure, but check your own stuff to be sure of the exact measurements, although my findings should work comparitively

so far:
stock 6x6: 90-95mph, 40A, 450W, 36oz thrust/4S 105-110mph, 55A, 625W, 40oz thrust
The basic included prop, draws the least ammount of power, decent speed, thrust is unlimited, but barely, and only for the first half of a battery charge for me, slow acceleration. On 4S it really gets moving, vertical is improved, and it sounds like a banshee. The biggest obstacle I have with it is the weight of the battery, mostly because it goofs up the CG, it is also at the ragged edge of what the stock ESC can handle.

7X5 APC sport: 85-90mph, 48A, 550W, 50oz thrust
My previous favorite prop, a small decrease in top speed for a large increase in thrust, vertical is unlimited and strong, quick aerobatics, harriers, and rolls are improved. There is more torque to compensate for, and till you get the hang of it hard pulls on elevator and loops can easily drop a wing if you are slow and on the throttle. It also slows the plane down a bit better when you lett of the throttle,

7x5 APC E-prop: 58A, 630W, test stopped(stock 40A ESC)
Too much for the stock ESC, stopped testing after getting an amp reading.

7X5 APC E-prop cut down to 5.875": 85-90mph, 48A, 550W, 44oz thrust
Was better than the stock prop, draws as much as the 7X5 sport, about the same top speed, but less thrust, and broke on an elevator landing after a couple flights.

6.5X6.5 Graupner speed prop 95-100mph, 50A, 575W, 39oz thrust
My new favorite. This prop was hard to find, I thought it would be good, but till I found one in the corner of a small old hobby shop, I didn't get a chance to test it. It will do an honest 100mph pass on a good fresh battery, the fastest of the bunch by about 5mph, thrust is also improved over stock. It doesn't have the rocket like vertical of the 7X5 sport prop, but it is a definite improvement over stock, and bites into the air better for easier launches and powering out of slow flight. It feels more like a motor upgrade than a prop change, and basically splits the difference between the stock prop, and the stock prop on 4S.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Old Jul 02, 2011, 07:21 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,287 Posts
Nice job. I'm looking into ordering some of the Graupner Speed 6.5x6.5 and 7x7's it'll be a while before they get here though.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Jul 02, 2011, 07:38 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
913 Posts
Also ran into a new problem to add to the list. Started as an odd instability at slow speed and when doing aerobatics, ended up being a loud flutter at speeds over about 50mph. Turned out the right side rudder horn chewed up the foam, and was loose, making the rudder flop around easily, and giving poor control of the surface. I pulled the horns off, used some thin CA to fill in where the foam started to tear around the horn mount, then added some epoxy, set the horn in it, and spread the bead around the top edges of the horn to support the surface. I've been doing a lot of hard spins and dialing in a good knife edge mix so it has been stressing it(5-10% opposite aileron, 5-10% down elevator, right rudder KE and left rudder KE are a bit different)

So far for those new to the plane and thread.

1. Elevon horns glued over paint, they can and have caused crashes, rip them out, epoxy them in, add backing plates for a bit of extra security.

2. Servos are weak, the geartrains are easily bent, and they strip. Mine started stripping on the first flight, lasted 3 before it was bad enough to replace. They are a hair smaller than the more powerful, and more reliable HS-85MG, use the short dubro super strength arm set, longest one is as long as stock, this is a far beefier setup, just as precise, a hair quicker. They require 3" extensions.

3. Airbrakes, rudders both turning outwards provides a brake, not exactly throwing out the anchor, but they do slow downlines, and help with landing. The rudder servos need to be in separate channels on the RX, this requires 3" extensions. plug the right side into rudder, left into aux1(flap). Mix rudder to flap with trim on at 100% both directions so both work as rudders. Mix flap to rudder at 100% to make them work as flaps. I use 50% mid flaps without elevator compensation, 100% with 5% down elevator. You may need to reverse channels, or use -100% in the mixes to get them to move the right way.

4. Haven't had it happen to me, but a few have had the elevon clevices strip over the threaded rods and come loose. A couple drops of CA on the ends of the rids that come through the clevices with kicker can be some cheap insurance, or you can replace them with aftermarket rods.

5. The elevons and rudders flex, doesn't seem to do much other than make handling a hair sloppier. I used .5X3mm flat carbon on the trailing edges, lued down with CA, then I wrapped packing tape over the trailing edges, no flex, more precise rolls and handling, not by a lot, but enough to justify $5 and 10 minutes.

6. rudder horns chewing up the foam, explained above.
Old Jul 02, 2011, 07:50 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,453 Posts
I moved the ESC back an inch and pushed the lipo back to the foam stopped at the back of the lipo bay. It definately livened up the flight controls. Pitch control became a little touchy and roll rate improved, even on lows. Flat spins seemed a little tighter. Not sure where the CG ended up but I know I am closer to 5" then the 5.5" in the instructions.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Jul 02, 2011, 08:40 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
913 Posts
New video, speed passes with the Graupner 6.5X6.5, and a few spins. I can get it spinning OK, but not sure how a few others (warderseeker on youtube) get the insane boomerang looking spins about twice as fast. I push the left stick to the lower left, right stick to upper right, and it gets to spin pretty good, and I can get it a little faster by moving the right stick to the center slowly, adding power, and bumping the rudder the other way halts the spin in it's tracks.

Stryker F-27Q with 6.5X6.5 Graupner prop(extended repost) (9 min 36 sec)
Last edited by alucard0822; Jul 05, 2011 at 07:24 AM.
Old Jul 02, 2011, 09:36 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrealpie View Post
So... Today was a great day for flying, Got about 5 flights in and then... The worst happend.. Turns out that the dang control horn is glued to paint, who would of known! It came off the surface at about 8 feet off the ground doing about 73mph. I went to pull up but all it did was roll over and dirt dart. Foam went EVERYWHERE and it launched my battery a good 30 feet. Speed Controller is completely destroyed, the heat sink came off and the wires got severed. the only good thing is my Rx and Motor, as well as all 4 servos. I would recommended drilling 2 holes in the control horn and running some screws into a back plate. Crashing over something as stupid as that. Way to Fk up Parkzone, why would you put good horns on the rudders but not the elevons?
Boy, you convinced me. I just added home-made backing plates. Turned out pretty good. Used a dremel to remove the points from the small wood screws so they wouldn't catch on the ground. Notice the patch where I let the collet come in contact with the foam?
Old Jul 02, 2011, 10:24 PM
Joined Apr 2010
142 Posts
So I've flown my striker maybe half a dozen times dialing everything in and being pretty cautious. This evening I decided to really open her up and I was doing a lot of very fast passes at WOT. It was really impressive but I guess i lost track of the time and all of the sudden I hear the engine start to throb. I'm guessing I ran out of battery. I try to bring her in but the controls are really muddy and it comes down hard about 50 yards away from me. I see white pieces fling out from the body of the plane. I'm already getting depressed as I walk over to survey the wreckage. As it turns out, just the nose and canopy came off and the prop broke. I was amazed. It hit pretty hard. This plane is strong! I'm so relieved. I guess I need to learn how to set that throttle timer thing on my dx6i
Jwhatley is offline Find More Posts by Jwhatley
Old Jul 02, 2011, 11:28 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwhatley View Post
So I've flown my striker maybe half a dozen times dialing everything in and being pretty cautious. This evening I decided to really open her up and I was doing a lot of very fast passes at WOT. It was really impressive but I guess i lost track of the time and all of the sudden I hear the engine start to throb. I'm guessing I ran out of battery. I try to bring her in but the controls are really muddy and it comes down hard about 50 yards away from me. I see white pieces fling out from the body of the plane. I'm already getting depressed as I walk over to survey the wreckage. As it turns out, just the nose and canopy came off and the prop broke. I was amazed. It hit pretty hard. This plane is strong! I'm so relieved. I guess I need to learn how to set that throttle timer thing on my dx6i
Set a timer
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jul 02, 2011, 11:28 PM
Captain - Team Hoser
Ottawa, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
183 Posts
Picked up my Stryker-Q just over a week ago and have half a dozen flights in so far. Tried the overhead launch but as a lefty I couldn't get to the throttle quick enough. I used to launch my Stryker-C overhead with power on but I've grown chicken since then! I have had a lot of success with a side arm launch.

Here is a short video showing the technique I use. Just over half throttle. You can tell when it is ready to fly. Just keep it away from your leg :-)

Parkzone Styrker Q Launch (0 min 8 sec)
ijames23 is offline Find More Posts by ijames23
Old Jul 02, 2011, 11:44 PM
Potage, MI
Joined Dec 2003
534 Posts
My launch method is similar except I use my right hand. The only problem I have is throwing it up at too high an angle, which results in it hitting the ground at too steep an angle!

Vince
Vince53 is offline Find More Posts by Vince53
Old Jul 02, 2011, 11:52 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijames23 View Post
Picked up my Stryker-Q just over a week ago and have half a dozen flights in so far. Tried the overhead launch but as a lefty I couldn't get to the throttle quick enough. I used to launch my Stryker-C overhead with power on but I've grown chicken since then! I have had a lot of success with a side arm launch.

Here is a short video showing the technique I use. Just over half throttle. You can tell when it is ready to fly. Just keep it away from your leg :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV50i6FV65s
Good call. I would highly recommend this launch method as long as your AUW is somewhere close to stock.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jul 03, 2011, 03:13 AM
Joined Jan 2010
12 Posts
Stock battery weight? (PKZ1029)

I'm keen to know the weight of the stock LiPo for the F-27Q, that's the green PKZ1029. I know the dimensions from the Parkzone site but the weight seems to be a be of a secret. I can then select my first battery to try with this model.
GarethE is offline Find More Posts by GarethE