Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 31, 2011, 01:23 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2011
6 Posts
Discussion
What plane for new plane flyer, familiar with helicopter

Hello All,

I'm new to rc groups to ask you guys a question. I have started flying rc stuff with helicopters, i am now able to fly my first loops. I see at the club various plane flyers. I would like to try myself but i dont those boring floaters u know and i want just a simple plane for fun. I thought i might skip the Easystar kinda plane because im a OK helicopter flyer. I would like the opinion of you guys on that. And im looking for some advice for a cheap plane that is not boring. I am getting kinda bored quickly from floaters because i am used to helicopters that need to be steered constantly.

I was looking at HK's kinetic 800, would that be a plane to suit my expectations?

Denniz

p.s. I would like to carry the plane on a bicycle
DennizMT is offline Find More Posts by DennizMT
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:08 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,144 Posts
Pick up the Parkzone ultra-micro T-28. Challenging enough that you won't get bored. Light enough that you won't spend too much on repairs after you crash it - and you WILL crash it. Plus, at under $100 for the BNF is affordable. And parts can be found in most any hobby store.
Belem is offline Find More Posts by Belem
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:36 PM
Oh you pull BACK on the stick?
Varmet6's Avatar
Bloomington, IN
Joined Feb 2010
500 Posts
I'd say that's some good, sound advice there^^

Guess +1 would've done the job too eh?
Oh well, good luck with whatever you choose!
Varmet6 is offline Find More Posts by Varmet6
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:45 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,996 Posts
HZ Champ. One of the bigger micro planes, easy to fly (confidence) and a blast to fly! If I were you, I did helo also, I would not start on a plane with ailerons.
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:45 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2009
368 Posts
a heli flyer should be finw with a aileron plane--the only reason to start with three channel is if the sensitivity and non-self righting characteristics od an aileron plane are too difficult. but a heli flyer is used to that
djacobox372 is offline Find More Posts by djacobox372
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2011, 10:22 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2011
6 Posts
thanks for the advice. The parkzone seems nice, but a little small what means i cannot fly it even with a little wind. But its great that its BNF, because i'm spektrum flyer. I will take a look in some other models too. Any other advices except the t28 or is that THE ideal plane for me?

thanks in advance
DennizMT is offline Find More Posts by DennizMT
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2011, 10:39 AM
Are we having fun yet?
paullie's Avatar
USA, NY, Clarence
Joined Jan 2010
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennizMT View Post
thanks for the advice. The parkzone seems nice, but a little small what means i cannot fly it even with a little wind. But its great that its BNF, because i'm spektrum flyer. I will take a look in some other models too. Any other advices except the t28 or is that THE ideal plane for me?

thanks in advance
T28 is ideal because it will be an easy transition for you and still tons of fun once you're comfortable with the spinny part being on the front rather then on top.
paullie is offline Find More Posts by paullie
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2011, 10:51 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullie View Post
T28 is ideal because it will be an easy transition for you and still tons of fun once you're comfortable with the spinny part being on the front rather then on top.
Ye i agree totally but im just 'scared' it will be too small. Because there is always a little wind here. I usually fly my 450 up to winds of 6-11 MPH, and i would like the plane to be able to do the same... can it?
DennizMT is offline Find More Posts by DennizMT
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2011, 12:14 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Xpress..'s Avatar
Joined Oct 2007
20,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennizMT View Post
i would like the plane to be able to do the same... can it?
Well, let me ask you this question:

Can YOU?
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2011, 12:37 PM
manual flying apologist
Adidas4275's Avatar
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennizMT View Post
Ye i agree totally but im just 'scared' it will be too small. Because there is always a little wind here. I usually fly my 450 up to winds of 6-11 MPH, and i would like the plane to be able to do the same... can it?
i was in the same situation as you.... i fly a SR and 120 SR heli and bout the T-28D BL

not the ultra micro but the 44" size plane.

i have flown it 2 times and both times crashed, repairs to the foam are fairly easy and my LHS has all the spare parts.


I was "worried" about wind as well and so i bought the full size.


a 3ch high wing slow flying plane would definitely be easier to learn on.... the t-28d eats up space quickly and I have stalled it the 2 time i have flown.


I am sure that I will get a hand of it, but a full size 3ch might be better..


something like the super cub
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ7380
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2011, 12:54 PM
Registered User
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Aug 2010
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennizMT View Post
Ye i agree totally but im just 'scared' it will be too small. Because there is always a little wind here. I usually fly my 450 up to winds of 6-11 MPH, and i would like the plane to be able to do the same... can it?
Learning any plane for a beginner should probably be done at 5 mph or less; just my opinion.

Either the Champ or the UM T-28 will be fine in a steady breeze from 5-10 mph once you get experience, with gusting it is more about how hard you willing to work at it.

The beauty of choosing an ultra micro is that it has that same <= 5 mph limit for a beginner but since you can fly it in such a small space, you can just glance out the window and notice "Hey! It's fairly calm! I'm grabbing my UM for 20 minutes of fun and practice."

With a bigger plane, you've got to travel to a bigger field and that might mean by the time you get all your gear together and get there... the winds have picked up or it was windy at the big field the whole time anyway.

UMs allow that "grab and go", opportunistic beginner flying. It means you might actually get MORE flying in since beginners should look for calm conditions anyway. With the Champ, you're only risking $89 and includes a radio you can sell for $25 if you want to. The plane might only end up costing you $55, and for that, you've got a fun little plane, forgiving to learn on, that looks great in the air and is easy to keep flying for inexpensive spare parts and the ability to shrug off damage. You can also buy spare batteries for like $2.50 from Value Hobby (in Chicago).

That Champ is hard to beat for beginner training (and lasting) value.
MiddleMarc is offline Find More Posts by MiddleMarc
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2011, 12:57 PM
manual flying apologist
Adidas4275's Avatar
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleMarc View Post
Learning any plane for a beginner should probably be done at 5 mph or less; just my opinion.

Either the Champ or the UM T-28 will be fine in a steady breeze from 5-10 mph once you get experience, with gusting it is more about how hard you willing to work at it.

The beauty of choosing an ultra micro is that it has that same <= 5 mph limit for a beginner but since you can fly it in such a small space, you can just glance out the window and notice "Hey! It's fairly calm! I'm grabbing my UM for 20 minutes of fun and practice."

With a bigger plane, you've got to travel to a bigger field and that might mean by the time you get all your gear together and get there... the winds have picked up or it was windy at the big field the whole time anyway.

UMs allow that "grab and go", opportunistic beginner flying. It means you might actually get MORE flying in since beginners should look for calm conditions anyway. With the Champ, you're only risking $89 and includes a radio you can sell for $25 if you want to. The plane might only end up costing you $55, and for that, you've got a fun little plane, forgiving to learn on, that looks great in the air and is easy to keep flying for inexpensive spare parts and the ability to shrug off damage. You can also buy spare batteries for like $2.50 from Value Hobby (in Chicago).

That Champ is hard to beat for beginner training (and lasting) value.


definitely true depending on where you live


I have a open field across the street from my house that is 1/2 x 1/2 openness ;D

grab and go for a large plane as well. not sure where the OP lives, so a UM might be better for him
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2011, 01:01 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2011
6 Posts
thanks all,

i'll have a look into it.

If anyone has some other smart suggestions, please post them
DennizMT is offline Find More Posts by DennizMT
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2011, 03:01 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,996 Posts
If you want big, stable, and ailerons ... take a look at the Eflite Apprentice 15e.
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2011, 03:23 PM
Registered User
Colorado Springs, CO.
Joined Mar 2009
327 Posts
You want a more advanced, and responsive plane? Get "The Beast" by EFlite. Just give me time to buy stock in Horizon Hobby so that I can profit from your replacement part purchases.
Scarface26 is offline Find More Posts by Scarface26
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Old plane with old batteries or new plane with new lipo? yamabiker Electric Plane Talk 33 Jan 03, 2011 07:05 PM
Discussion What makes a plane a good wind flyer? MiddleMarc Electric Plane Talk 43 Oct 29, 2010 08:12 PM
Discussion Familiar with this Ebay plane? TW-742 Sky Hawk 46'' RTF ace5000 Electric Plane Talk 6 Oct 14, 2007 02:31 PM
What plane for my new Multiplex Permax BL-480/4G with GB? IwantaJet Electric Sailplanes 28 Jul 06, 2005 02:51 AM
Question Is anyone here familiar with this plane? Starguard Parkflyers 5 Apr 24, 2004 04:59 PM