SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 31, 2011, 02:13 PM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Discussion
Look what Fedex brought

It's an Art Tech Genius 500, it's going to be very frustrating not being able to fly it until I've gone through all the on ground training here:
http://www.dream-models.com/eco/battery01.html

But I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end

Yes I know it's not the best 500 machine out there but I wasn't going to spend 1000 on what is basically a stepping stone to a Quad/Hexacopter
It's basically a training aid, but you never know I might get addicted

It is supposed to be fully ready to fly out of the box but I'd like to check it over before spinning it up, I can check blade balance and tracking but I think I'll need a pitch guage and look up instructions on what to do with it ?
TeeJayBee is offline Find More Posts by TeeJayBee
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2011, 04:24 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
48 Posts
ahhhhhhhhh....shes beautifull !!!
kkellyheli is offline Find More Posts by kkellyheli
Old Mar 31, 2011, 05:34 PM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Wow, she's big.

Interesting head. Are the blades clamped down with some sort of rubber?
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:40 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_fjs View Post
Interesting head. Are the blades clamped down with some sort of rubber?
It has a spacer which allows for inconsistency in the blade grips.

At least maybe it will liven up a town that is obviously looking for something to do...

This isn't really news is it? I mean, probably this house has been there for years, right?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...f-parting.html
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:53 PM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_fjs View Post
Wow, she's big.
Not as big as most 500's, she's more like a 475 (yeah I know there's no such thing but it's between a 450 and 500 in physical size)
Some great Youtube clips, not that I'll be doing any 3D stuff, just want to develope smooth and controlled flight on instinct without having to think
Only time I'll ever go into Idle Up mode is when I want to learn autorotation to get out of trouble
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:06 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Congrats! Before spooling it up for the first time, please go over all bolts (without nylon nuts) for loctite.

Next, adjust the blades to "0" degree pitch at mid-stick and then adjust the high and low to be the same, whatever degree fitting your needs. Then check for cyclic pitch, running between 6 and 8 degrees.

Don't forget to set throttle hold and then fail-safe just in case the rx goes out. You want to set it so that the throttle goes to "no throttle" and blade pitch goes to zero degree.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:13 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Oh man CS, you are giving me delivery envy. Come back and tell us how it flies.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:35 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
Congrats! Before spooling it up for the first time, please go over all bolts (without nylon nuts) for loctite.
Yeah that's the problem with RTF helis... first you have to take them apart and build them again... so they can actually be more work than a kit. Good for noobs though because it's easy to see how everything goes together.

Seriously... re-threadlock everything down to the swash plate balls even...
Old Apr 01, 2011, 06:00 AM
Bournemouth - UK
Joined Feb 2009
204 Posts
Nice feeling opening the box and there she lies Looks like a good positive start, looking forward to the first spool up.
hedgeheli is offline Find More Posts by hedgeheli
Old Apr 01, 2011, 07:33 AM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Cheers folks
I spun her up after taking advice and checking all the nuts/bolts
I also had to double check the TX settings to make sure they were as set by the factory tester, all OK
I've had to put nylon tie wraps round the skid rubbers so that it doesn't grip the floor while I'm practicing walking it on the floor, I'm going to get to doing those excersises later today (quick finger count, yes all there at the moment, I'll check again later )

Oh by the way, great help and advice from the UK distributor for Art Tech - Century UK, they had taken the trouble to note down the correct TX settings in PDF format and pointed me in the right direction
Old Apr 01, 2011, 08:54 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
I guess you can give that Solo Pro to your wife now!
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 01, 2011, 11:44 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Cool... looks like the bargain basement is coming up a little bit - that's good.

I don't advise doing the RADD-skidding thing - just get a simulator and learn to take off normally and hover it. I am no longer sure what the RADD skidding thing is about. I used to advocate it, but I've changed my mind about it, as I haven't actually seen any benefit of it, over just bunny-hopping around. The simulator is the best training tool other than the helicopter itself. I teach RADD myself - but nobody wants to stay on the ground, and I no longer see the benefit of scooting around, as it's not any easier than hovering with training balls on, and the helicopter isn't going to react the right way on the ground - particularly the newer ones.
Old Apr 01, 2011, 02:24 PM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Yes that's kinda true Jasmine
It does help to familiarise yourself a little with the sensitivity of the controls (to a degree)
It is designed for people who have never held a transmitter in their hand before though, so I may well be skipping a tiny bit ahead and weather permitting put my training gear on and do a battery or two on hovering, then move onto hoving left in and right in and if I can the batteries charged quick enough by Sunday PM I may be flying 2ft left to right and visa versa, the discipline in my mind will be that if it gets out of control at any point that's 35 for new blades

Oh yes bargain basement stuff is right
These retail at 279.95 over here (about $449), I bought it from a guy who had purchased it a month ago and hadn't flown it, he also threw in the extra battery and training gear

All for 132 ($212), as things over here are always more expensive, roughly $1 = 1 that's the equivalent of you paying $132 for it
Last edited by TeeJayBee; Apr 01, 2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2011, 06:41 PM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Well it's too damned blustery out there (for a novice first flight0 even with the training gear on

Had a go but the controls are far too sensitive for my skill level yet
I'll have to try again on a calmer day or find a 20ft square indoor area (not likely)
Old Apr 01, 2011, 07:16 PM
Joined Feb 2011
160 Posts
Wow! Its got BALLS! BIG Orange ones! Congratulations! Have fun!
james1300 is offline Find More Posts by james1300