HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by impostor, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:07 AM
Renegade Eggroll
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
788 Posts
Discussion
An exercise in frustration

Last nite, the weather web sites were forecasting calm winds at 4-5mph in Chicago. So I grabbed my T-45 EDF jet and my UMT-28 to go fly. It would be the maiden flight for the T-45 and re-maiden for the UMT-28 since I replaced the wings and tail stabilizers.

Got to the flying are and the wind is stiff at 10-12mph, my WAG. It certainly wasn't 4-5mph. And it's cold. I decided not to maiden the T-45.

I went behind a small hill to try and it felt much calmer. It didn't feel as windy on the ground. I decided to fly the UMT-28. While it was relatively calm on the ground, about 100ft up, it was not calm. I think the wind is being kicked up by the hill. It was a handful to fly in the wind. ARGH!!! My little UMT-28 was being tossed around like a small skiff in stormy waters.

Even though I balanced it at home, adding a dime to the nose to balance it, the first throw it went straight vertical, then the wind caught it and took it away from me. I recovered and fought the wind to fly back and managed to gently crash it on the grass. I shifted the battery forward more and it helped, but with throttle, it goes vertical again. After a few more crashes, the last one bent the lower part of the rudder, I called it a nite.

I'm really frustrated right now with the UMT-28. I know it's a great plane, but it seems I can't friggin fly it unless it's dead calm. And those days are few and far in between for Chicago. I got the P-40 (previous blog) to fly when there's some wind. I want to fly. I don't want to stare at the planes on the shelf. So frustrated right now...
impostor is offline Find More Posts by impostor
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2011, 01:24 PM
Cumming, GA USA
Joined Jan 2011
222 Posts
T-28

Hey bro...don't get frustrated. I have been flying planes all sizes for 15 years. I have the micro T-28 and it flies great, especially with high rates for aerobatics....but......it must be calm. First time I flew her it was 10mph wind and it was quite funny....kinda like a butterfly in a hurricane. But on totally calm days she rocks and people get impressed as I fly her like a madman. You will need to only fly this plane with wind no more than 5 mph.
warwickcorvette1 is offline Find More Posts by warwickcorvette1
Old Mar 31, 2011, 01:49 PM
Renegade Eggroll
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
788 Posts
thanks warwickcorvette1 for the encouragement. I really do like the UMT-28. And you're right, it's like a butterfly in a hurricane. All over the place. I think that if you can master the UMT-28 in windy conditions, you can fly anything! I think I'm going to have to search out indoor flying venues.
impostor is offline Find More Posts by impostor