HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2011, 05:34 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,482 Posts
Discussion
burnt ESC and motor

i hooked up a 8A ESC and a small 10gram brushless motor to a watt meter i gave the motor several burst of full throttle than i hooked up this to the receiver and 2 small servos i gave the throttle two burst of full throttle by the transmitter than i moved both servos and about 2 seconds later the ESC sparked than popped at the same time the motor burnt out what would have caused this? while testing on the watt meter the motor stayed cold and was drawing 5A

cheers
gazza2003au is offline Find More Posts by gazza2003au
Last edited by gazza2003au; Mar 31, 2011 at 08:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:26 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,560 Posts
Sorry, what does "than I moved both receivers" mean ? Where do two receivers come into the story ?

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:06 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,482 Posts
sorry i ment servos Steve
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:15 AM
Suspended Account
USA, NV, Caliente
Joined Mar 2009
1,163 Posts
I would guess the bec in the esc failed.
crypto666 is offline Find More Posts by crypto666
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:38 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,269 Posts
!st guess - broken wire or bad connection. This shorts the motor and fries the ESC. Very fragile wires on those little motors-break easily.

2nd guess - POS ESC.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:40 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,482 Posts
the ESC was rated for 1A bec i ran 2 9g servos do u think this is the problem?
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:37 PM
Joined Jan 2007
5,269 Posts
Doubt 2 servos were a problem at all, esp. for that brief time.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 01:22 PM
Suspended Account
USA, NV, Caliente
Joined Mar 2009
1,163 Posts
I have had much larger generic esc and bec fail during initialization for no aparent reason.
crypto666 is offline Find More Posts by crypto666
Old Mar 31, 2011, 01:36 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,482 Posts
thanks for the replies guys what happen was i had all the electronics on the bench i had the motor,ESC,battery connected to the watt meter i done several full throttle test getting the data i than removed the watt meter and installed all the electronics with the receiver i than throttled up a couple of times moved the throttle back to the lowest point put the motor back on the bench than using both hands on the TX i moved the servos 2 seconds later the ESC sparked than the motor burnt out than the ESC blew this is the motor http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5358
the specs say to use 2cell lipo with a 7x5 prop i was using a 3cell lipo and a 3.5x3 prop using this the amp rating on the watt meter was 5amps well within the limit and the motor was cold to touch while it worked this is the ESC used http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6455
Old Mar 31, 2011, 03:41 PM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,185 Posts
5A is probably a bit much for that motor (it's really only good for about 4A on 2S) but that wasn't your problem. For no apparent reason the ESC decided to turn one motor phase on, and has fried both itself and the motor.

It's possible that your two '9g' servos drew more than 1A, overloading the BEC and causing the ESC to go crazy, or it may just have had a manufacturing fault. Buy cheap, buy twice!
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old Mar 31, 2011, 04:37 PM
Joined Jan 2007
5,269 Posts
3S @ 5A is over the top for that motor. I've tried re-winds of that same motor with larger gage better wire, had it run on 2S and fry almost instantly on 3S with NO prop. It has really crappy wire.

IMO you can't do worse than the SS ESC for lack of quality control.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 04:56 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,161 Posts
A possible cause is that the BEC was overloaded by trying to reduce the 3S input voltage down to ~5V, when it is only intended for 2S max. A 3S input is signficantly extra heat to dissipate, even on only 2 servos. So while 2 servos shouldn't pull more than 1A, the 3S input alone may have been the culprit. That scenario is consistent with your failure once you used it with servos connected and operating but the motor stopped. The BEC cooking probably affected the rest of the ESC, thus cooking the motor as well.
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:19 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,205 Posts
I have a bunch of ESC's which manufacturers and distributors have sent me [and I am grateful for that], but I've bought only four ESC's in my life... Pixie 20, Phoenix 10, 25, 45.... and they serve the purpose for everything I fly and everything I test. It is a PITA to have to switch ESC's from one plane to another... but I'd rather do that than buy a whole slew of inferior ESC's, just to have one for each plane (or test motor)!

My motto: no one ever regretted buying quality.

I'm not saying that many/most of these "other" ESC's don't do the job perfectly well... but the Castle Creations ones that I have purchased have worked fine for me... so why change..... and I love the PHX link!
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:27 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kiwi View Post
I have a bunch of ESC's which manufacturers and distributors have sent me [and I am grateful for that], but I've bought only four ESC's in my life... Pixie 20, Phoenix 10, 25, 45.... and they serve the purpose for everything I fly and everything I test. It is a PITA to have to switch ESC's from one plane to another... but I'd rather do that than buy a whole slew of inferior ESC's, just to have one for each plane (or test motor)!

My motto: no one ever regretted buying quality.

I'm not saying that many/most of these "other" ESC's don't do the job perfectly well... but the Castle Creations ones that I have purchased have worked fine for me... so why change..... and I love the PHX link!
what is your opinion on the burnt ESC and motor? castle gear here in australia cost an absolute fortune lol
Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:35 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,999 Posts
Amen Brother!

In 2008 I had a bought used Phoenix 25 and a few months later it burned up on me (fried a couple of MOSFETS). I sent if off to CC and, for a $25 flat rate repair charge, they send me a brand new Phoenix 25 ESC.

Recently, the P-25 I got in 2008 started arming normally but then stuttering motors and not running them. I thought it was a bad motor at first. After reloading the firmware a few times and generally checking everything else, I dropped in the mail to CC last week.

Today I got a call from them, completed the details for paying for another $25 out of warranty charge, and they are shipping me a new Phoenix 25 tomorrow. I'll have it in a few days.

The new one will come with a new one year warranty, that is standard on a repaired ESC.

Add in the better programming options, the telephone support, and all the other stuff and I don't consider CC ESCs be expensive at all. You are buying a lot of quality and service.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes