SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 06, 2011, 06:34 AM
Kit Manufacturer
coreman's Avatar
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post
I've broken one strut just trying to straighten it out on the bench. Those meager spot welds really compromise the integrity of the wire strut even though they're buried in the mock plastic housings. Had to use cold weld epoxy and additional landing gear wire to get it back together.

<...>

I'm also going to experiment with flaperons to see if that makes any difference for lowering the airspeed for landing approaches.
I have one and have had similar issues as the ones listed here. I got the ailerons backwards when i went to flaperons and so I had a crash right off the bat. The nose went back together pretty well and I sorted the controls out and it's flown well. I fly off a rough field so the welds on the landing gear gave way early and after fixing those one of the wing mounting blocks split so I just removed the gear. it flies fine without them. Since I crashed right out of the box, the pilot came out and as I reported earlier, he weighs 28 grams. I'm using a GWS 11x6 and it seems fine. I don't see any of the landing snaps with the flaperons and it slows down for a plop in the grass landing so I'm happy. I am still flying 1300s as I feel the lighter weight helps the characteristics. All in all it does what I want. it is a toss in the sky fun plane that looks like a plane. It fills a spot in the hanger.
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2011, 11:46 AM
Feeding the RC Addiction
RCAV8T0R's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
549 Posts
Spitfire Vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmybeetle View Post
I did see it and I really enjoyed watching it. Your bird performed how it should for a small park flyer. Made me want to "upgrade" my HK "Spitty" even more so after seeing how well yours flew.

Can't understand why they don't put stronger motors and ESC's in (these planes) from the beginning. I know keeping production costs low are the main reasons but when they buy in bulk the final cost couldn't be more than a few US dollars which in the grand scheme of things wouldn't that much of a detractor (for me). I would gladly pay a little extra up front for it to be set up properly from the factory. Just my opinion, though...

Then again, that would take away the fun of making the modifications that some or most of us enjoy as a part of the hobby...
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 06, 2011, 02:00 PM
AMA 52726
Edge767's Avatar
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jun 2005
1,605 Posts
I just looked at the motor again; it is quite small. I'm thinking about putting a bigger motor in, perhaps sometime this week since it's so windy I can't spend any time flying.

Mine flies well enough with the stock setup, though it takes time to build up speed, etc. I'm guessing it flies more like a real plane in that regard; it's not over-powered. Real prop fighters don't have unlimited vertical; neither does the Art-Tech Spitfire. It does nice aerobatics, though, and it looks great in the sky!
Edge767 is offline Find More Posts by Edge767
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Artwork Applied to the Mustang
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 06, 2011, 02:46 PM
No Guts, No Glory
timmybeetle's Avatar
Nederland, LI, Helden
Joined Sep 2010
581 Posts
This is in my opinion the best motor for SPITFIRE upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post
I just looked at the motor again; it is quite small. I'm thinking about putting a bigger motor in, perhaps sometime this week since it's so windy I can't spend any time flying.

Mine flies well enough with the stock setup, though it takes time to build up speed, etc. I'm guessing it flies more like a real plane in that regard; it's not over-powered. Real prop fighters don't have unlimited vertical; neither does the Art-Tech Spitfire. It does nice aerobatics, though, and it looks great in the sky!
ATED: PRODUCT ID: L3010C-1300BM
Turnigy L3010C-1300kv (420w)

Specifications:
Dimension: 37mm x 18mm
Weight: 87g
Kv: 1300rpm/V
Voltage: 11.1v (3s)
Max Power: 420w
Max Current: 40.1A
No load Current: 1.8A
Diameter of shaft: 4mm
Thrust: 1650g
ESC: 50A~60A well I fly with a mystery 30A and a 10E7 prop

greets Hans
timmybeetle is offline Find More Posts by timmybeetle
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 06, 2011, 07:19 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
RCAV8T0R's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
549 Posts
4S Pack Test Coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
I have one and have had similar issues as the ones listed here. I got the ailerons backwards when i went to flaperons and so I had a crash right off the bat. The nose went back together pretty well and I sorted the controls out and it's flown well. I fly off a rough field so the welds on the landing gear gave way early and after fixing those one of the wing mounting blocks split so I just removed the gear. it flies fine without them. Since I crashed right out of the box, the pilot came out and as I reported earlier, he weighs 28 grams. I'm using a GWS 11x6 and it seems fine. I don't see any of the landing snaps with the flaperons and it slows down for a plop in the grass landing so I'm happy. I am still flying 1300s as I feel the lighter weight helps the characteristics. All in all it does what I want. it is a toss in the sky fun plane that looks like a plane. It fills a spot in the hanger.
Thanks for the reply. Every little bit of shared experiences help with this hobby and the subject airframes.

I fly off a graded dirt strip with soft, silty patches so that is an issue especially for belly landings so I'm keeping the gear on. I do have gorilla (duct) tape for scuff protection but I enjoy wheeled landings.

In fact, I had on of my best landings ever with the Spitfire last time out. Greased it right in, straight, no wing bobble or gear bounce. Wish I had that on video...

I haven't tried the 1300's as I like to have extended flight times. Having said that, one main reason I upgraded the motor and ESC is that I've got a 1300 mAh 30C 4S pack just for this bird to test out.

I'm pretty sure 14.8v will yank the wings right off the fuselage. I've test-fitted it already and with the mods I've done meaning Deans connector and enlarging the battery compartment, it fits right in. Just need to double check the CG and I'll be good to go for some (momentary) pure vertical power climbs...

Basically, this is my first foray into the world of warbirds but I'm certain it won't be the last. I'd like to get a larger plane with retracts and built-in flaps. That would be ideal. Time to start dreaming about the next one...
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 06, 2011, 07:57 PM
Kit Manufacturer
coreman's Avatar
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post
Thanks for the reply. Every little bit of shared experiences help with this hobby and the subject airframes.

I fly off a graded dirt strip with soft, silty patches so that is an issue especially for belly landings so I'm keeping the gear on. I do have gorilla (duct) tape for scuff protection but I enjoy wheeled landings.

In fact, I had on of my best landings ever with the Spitfire last time out. Greased it right in, straight, no wing bobble or gear bounce. Wish I had that on video...

I haven't tried the 1300's as I like to have extended flight times. Having said that, one main reason I upgraded the motor and ESC is that I've got a 1300 mAh 30C 4S pack just for this bird to test out.

I'm pretty sure 14.8v will yank the wings right off the fuselage. I've test-fitted it already and with the mods I've done meaning Deans connector and enlarging the battery compartment, it fits right in. Just need to double check the CG and I'll be good to go for some (momentary) pure vertical power climbs...

Basically, this is my first foray into the world of warbirds but I'm certain it won't be the last. I'd like to get a larger plane with retracts and built-in flaps. That would be ideal. Time to start dreaming about the next one...
too much power is never enough. The problem with all the upgrades I have been seeing is that they all raise the wingloading which then decreases the glide performance (read: landing characteristics) that was already an issue. As you said, this is a warbird, some scale performance is in order

I had a retract plane and after rebending the struts just about every other flight, I built a fixed gear wing for it. They just don't tolerate my field. And it's not my crappy landings as much as the long takeoff rolls over the washboard grass tufts.
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 06, 2011, 09:43 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
RCAV8T0R's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
549 Posts
Spitfire Hop Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post
Great information, and I hope to hear how it goes with the new setup! I'm interested in beefing up the specs on my AT Spit as well.
Glad I could be of some help. It's great to share experiences with other RC enthusiasts about our decisions that translate into either failures or successes.

I'm fairly certain this Airfield motor will do the trick for me. It's made for the larger and heavier Hellcat. Previously, the best change I made (with the stock set up) was going to the 9E9 prop. The 10E7 didn't make much of a difference over the stock tri-prop and I didn't want to tax the motor and ESC by going to bigger props, i.e.; 11E7 or larger, even though I have those in the hanger at the ready and was going to do so.

The Volcano 30A ESC I put in is rated for 3-4 cells and as I've mentioned, I have a 1300 4S that I'm going to test out with the modded power train. Hoping for good results the next time out...

Good luck with your choices in getting your AT Spitfire dialed in. That in itself can be both a nerve-wracking and very rewarding experience. Just takes some educated guessing coupled with the trial and error testing phase out at the flying field.
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Last edited by RCAV8T0R; Sep 07, 2011 at 10:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 04:41 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
RCAV8T0R's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
549 Posts
Hop Up (& Down) Update

Well Spitfire fans, all the upgrades turned out to be very successful. I flew her twice yesterday and was very impressed. Flies like a completely different aircraft.

I also tried using the flaperons but really couldn't tell the difference since it's such a small plane. Maybe it's more noticeable at lower speeds but I only tested it out during normal level flight.

Now this HK Spitfire flies with much more authority. The upgraded motor and ESC provides plenty of power and speed, just what I was hoping for.

Flew it once and landed cleanly after about 8 minutes on one 1800 mAh lipo. Checked the cell voltages and it showed an average of 3.8 volts. Flew it the second time for the same 8 minute duration but with another 1800 battery and ended up having to land it dead stick with the wind. Not a pretty sight. Crash landed it hard on the dirt runway at the flying field.

I came around once for what I thought was my final approach before losing power but it turned out the field wasn't clear. I was forced to go around again and then the battery voltage dropped so much that the ESC cut the power to the motor and down she went. Bent the motor shaft and ripped apart the left lower landing gear plate. The (brand new) motor took most of the force. This probably spared the airframe since it was only the nose area that got crushed by the spinner but only slightly. I'm disappointed since it was flying so well and I was having a lot of fun. Such a shame.

I guess the good news is most everything is fixable and I've made most of the repairs already. Earlier last week I was having a little difficultly getting the 9E9 2-blade prop and plastic spinner to mount up without any wobble so I might go back to the stock 3-blade prop and spinner. With the new motor set up I'm thinking she'll still do well.

Oh yeah, there's one more adjustment I need to make. I'm reducing the setting on my Airtronics radio Stop Watch to 7 minutes instead of 8!

I can't wait to get her airborne again...
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Last edited by RCAV8T0R; Sep 12, 2011 at 05:31 PM. Reason: organization
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2011, 06:08 PM
AMA 52726
Edge767's Avatar
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jun 2005
1,605 Posts
Very cool, RCAV8TOR! Post some pics! I'd love to see how this plane is looking!
Edge767 is offline Find More Posts by Edge767
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Artwork Applied to the Mustang
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2011, 04:34 PM
No Guts, No Glory
timmybeetle's Avatar
Nederland, LI, Helden
Joined Sep 2010
581 Posts
very happy my spit is airborne again

Hi Fooks

I'm very glad to fly my spitfire again an man did she fly great.

Its a real joy to see this plane flying true the skies and thats where she belongs.

So never give up.....ha ha

greets Hans
timmybeetle is offline Find More Posts by timmybeetle
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2011, 05:19 PM
Registered User
richard9999's Avatar
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,690 Posts
I fly my Art Tech Spit without the wheels (one of the plastic strut holders broke, but I was going to remove the wheels anyway since it looks so much better in the air). She flies, and belly lands on grass, very nicely, but I have a paranoia about motors with long, threaded shafts bending and so I first flew the Spit using a Hobbyking prop saver threaded to M4 x 0.6 and have now modified a 50mm plastic spinner to fit the prop saver, so that the prop has a bit of give on landing. This requires making a couple of collars using a lathe, so if anyone has a lathe and is interested I will post more details, otherwise the photos should give enough information
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2011, 09:47 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmybeetle View Post
Hi Fooks

I'm very glad to fly my spitfire again an man did she fly great.

Its a real joy to see this plane flying true the skies and thats where she belongs.

So never give up.....ha ha

greets Hans
Hans,
Great rebuild. She looks great with her battle scars.
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2011, 08:15 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
878 Posts
I did the 2200mAh battery mod and she flies better. Less twitchy and maybe a big less glide but overall a better performer. Next move will be a 2 blade prop and maybe a honking big motor. I flew for 18 min and only put 1850mAh in the pack. You can fly so long you get distracted.
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 08:21 AM
Registered User
Warbird@home's Avatar
The Netherlands, NB, Hapert
Joined Apr 2002
1,284 Posts
crash and re birth

She is one of my favourites and I couldn;t scrap her after a bad crash....so.......
......Here she as a Dutch aeroplane.......


Ray
Warbird@home is offline Find More Posts by Warbird@home
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2011, 02:41 AM
Registered User
Jeffbrook's Avatar
Joined May 2005
51 Posts
An APC 9x9 prop and a 4 cell lipo work well with the stock motor and esc. To be safe, I cut some of the esc's shrink wrap away from the bec so they could better dissipate heat. She's a fast one now.

I cranked up the duel rates and end point adjustment on the radio to 115%. This makes the control throws crazy high, until you move all the linkages on the servo horns in by one hole. This is a trick I sometimes use to obtain more resolution out of cheap servos. The plane responds better to small control inputs now.

Made numerous other small mods, as the overall quality isn't the best - but most of us knew that before buying this bird. . Still, for the money, I'm super happy with the result. High speed passes down the flight line look great!
Jeffbrook is offline Find More Posts by Jeffbrook
Last edited by Jeffbrook; Oct 01, 2011 at 02:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Art-Tech Spitfire Ta152 Electric Warbirds 30 May 24, 2011 02:25 PM
Discussion Reinforcing Art Tech Spitfire ttuzun Electric Warbirds 1 Aug 11, 2009 04:51 AM
Discussion Art-Tech Spitfire ad at Hobby Lobby Ta152 Electric Warbirds 14 Apr 15, 2009 03:46 PM
Discussion Art Tech Spitfire. Atra Parkflyers 0 Sep 23, 2008 05:23 AM
For Sale Art Tech P-51 RTF & Parkzone Spitfire RTF; Price Reduced Codehead Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 May 07, 2008 12:07 AM