SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:18 AM
No Guts, No Glory
Nederland, LI, Helden
Joined Sep 2010
572 Posts
ArtTech HobbyKing Spitfire

Hi Fooks

After smashing my Spitfire a couple of times against the ground I rebuild it.
And today I test flight it and it flies even better than before ha ha.

I use a 10E7 prop and a spinner bought at a local store I don't know the brand, its just a alu back plate with a nylon hood.
I fly with 3s2200 zippy and it's excellent.

keep flying save

greets Hans
timmybeetle is offline Find More Posts by timmybeetle
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:54 AM
AMA 52726
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jun 2005
1,515 Posts
Nice job, timmy! I was thinking about a new paint job for my Spitfire and perhaps a new motor/ESC combo. I may just try a new prop first.

are you still running the stock motor and ESC with that prop?
Edge767 is offline Find More Posts by Edge767
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2011, 02:55 PM
No Guts, No Glory
Nederland, LI, Helden
Joined Sep 2010
572 Posts
ArtTech HobbyKing Spitfire final flight 31-08-2011

Hi Fooks

Tonight I had my final flight with spitfire.
As you could see I repaired it but tonight at flying field it went down again......

I don't know what the problem was but it pulled to the left and trothle up and flying only at 5 meters height it went down wit a major crash.

I don't think I will repair it this time .....

I hope it wasn't the rcvr and I will check this in my F4U Corsair tomorrow....I hope I will not be banging my head against the wall doing this but I want to know if RCVR is problem........?!?!?!?!?

Anyway this is for as far as I can see it at this moment the end of my SPIT.

greets Hans
Old Sep 01, 2011, 12:23 AM
AMA 52726
Joined Jun 2005
1,515 Posts
Sorry to hear it, Hans!!!

Will you replace it with another one?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2011, 07:19 AM
Germany, near Stuttgart
Joined Jan 2007
32 Posts
Hard to loose a plane in such a manner!

Hmmm, years ago i had (and most other also ) problems here in -D- with the "old" tecnologie on 35-Mhz and i lost in the same way 3 planes, one after one in 2 months. For mee the only choice was to chance to 2,4 Ghz.

May be the BEC failed, or the ESC and a servo was killed ??
May bee too, your metallic-color was the problem? Led you out the antenna out of the fuse?

- Pramus -
Pramus is offline Find More Posts by Pramus
Old Sep 01, 2011, 03:39 PM
No Guts, No Glory
Nederland, LI, Helden
Joined Sep 2010
572 Posts
ArtTech HobbyKing Spitfire final flight 31-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pramus View Post
Hard to loose a plane in such a manner!

Hmmm, years ago i had (and most other also ) problems here in -D- with the "old" tecnologie on 35-Mhz and i lost in the same way 3 planes, one after one in 2 months. For mee the only choice was to chance to 2,4 Ghz.

May be the BEC failed, or the ESC and a servo was killed ??
May bee too, your metallic-color was the problem? Led you out the antenna out of the fuse?

- Pramus -
Well I flew several flights with this setup in the afternoon without any problems.
I checked today rcvr in another plane and there where no problems at all.
I have a Hobbyking XMTR v2 2.4 GHz.
I think that Lipo connection ore ESC could be the problem to my crash.
Anyway I don't give up that easy so I'm rebuilding my Spit and she will fly again that for sure.

keep flying save greets hans
Old Sep 03, 2011, 08:17 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmybeetle View Post
Well I flew several flights with this setup in the afternoon without any problems.
I checked today rcvr in another plane and there where no problems at all.
I have a Hobbyking XMTR v2 2.4 GHz.
I think that Lipo connection ore ESC could be the problem to my crash.
Anyway I don't give up that easy so I'm rebuilding my Spit and she will fly again that for sure.

keep flying save greets hans
Hans,
Sorry to hear of the demise of your spitfire. I liked the Reno racer look. Got any video of the new paint scheme in the air.

I agree that this plane is grumpy. 900mm planes are not versatile like the bigger 1400mm versions. The larger they are the more forgiving and well behaved they are. This plane definitely likes a coordinated turn and is a pain in the ass to land. I've glued my rudder and wing tips as she is is rough and tumble on landing.

Mine is still together but I'm on my 3rd prop. Everything else still stock 1300mAh battery, gear removed.
Harold
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Sep 03, 2011, 12:46 PM
No Guts, No Glory
Nederland, LI, Helden
Joined Sep 2010
572 Posts
ArtTech HobbyKing Spitfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
Hans,
Sorry to hear of the demise of your spitfire. I liked the Reno racer look. Got any video of the new paint scheme in the air.

I agree that this plane is grumpy. 900mm planes are not versatile like the bigger 1400mm versions. The larger they are the more forgiving and well behaved they are. This plane definitely likes a coordinated turn and is a pain in the ass to land. I've glued my rudder and wing tips as she is is rough and tumble on landing.

Mine is still together but I'm on my 3rd prop. Everything else still stock 1300mAh battery, gear removed.
Harold

Hi and I have to make an corection.

About flying this plane mine was very very stable in the air and gentle when landing it.
I had no problems flying it and even with less speed she was easy to fly.
I think it's because I flew it with 3S2200 and when it;s balanced than she flies like a dream.

Spitfire zilver dutch final flight (5 min 16 sec)

I in the proces of rebuilding the plane but the nose part is realy damaged and a lot of parts Ha ha but I will manage this also.

I will let you know after I managed to get in in the air again about my findings.

greets hans
Last edited by timmybeetle; Sep 03, 2011 at 02:29 PM. Reason: new movie and pic
Old Sep 04, 2011, 05:23 AM
No Guts, No Glory
Nederland, LI, Helden
Joined Sep 2010
572 Posts
Motor update arttech/hobbyking spitfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post
Nice job, timmy! I was thinking about a new paint job for my Spitfire and perhaps a new motor/ESC combo. I may just try a new prop first.

are you still running the stock motor and ESC with that prop?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=22

I can say this is the real thing for this plane.

greets Hans
Old Sep 05, 2011, 12:48 PM
No Guts, No Glory
Nederland, LI, Helden
Joined Sep 2010
572 Posts
update rebuilding my Spitfire

Hi Spitfire fans

I couldn't trow my spit into the trash and I am not an person to give up that easy.
So my spit is almost ready to fly again.
At pics you can see it really has some beating of flying the Battle Of Britain haha
I'm waiting for my new RCVR and than I will perform a new test flight ......

if you see my spit now you couldn't imagine that front of plain was one mess.
I giant puzzle but as you can see I did full fill my task.

So next time flying this wonderful plane

greets Hans
Old Sep 05, 2011, 03:01 PM
AMA 52726
Joined Jun 2005
1,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmybeetle View Post
Hi Spitfire fans

I couldn't trow my spit into the trash and I am not an person to give up that easy.
So my spit is almost ready to fly again.
At pics you can see it really has some beating of flying the Battle Of Britain haha
I'm waiting for my new RCVR and than I will perform a new test flight ......

if you see my spit now you couldn't imagine that front of plain was one mess.
I giant puzzle but as you can see I did full fill my task.

So next time flying this wonderful plane

greets Hans
Congratulations, Hans! You've done a great job!!! I'm glad to see you keeping your Spitty in the air! My son will soon be taking the controls of my Art-Tech Spitfire so that he and I can fly Spitfires together (I also have the PZ Spitfire).
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2011, 04:01 PM
No Guts, No Glory
Nederland, LI, Helden
Joined Sep 2010
572 Posts
Having fun flying Spitfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post
Congratulations, Hans! You've done a great job!!! I'm glad to see you keeping your Spitty in the air! My son will soon be taking the controls of my Art-Tech Spitfire so that he and I can fly Spitfires together (I also have the PZ Spitfire).
Hi

Thanks for reply and great to hear that you both will fly Spitfires.
A flier at our club also has an PZ and we fly together sometimes.

By the way I also fly Durafly Hobbyking and a Ripmax Spitfire....yes I'm a Spitfire addict ha ha.....

greets Hans
Old Sep 06, 2011, 12:13 AM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
529 Posts
Spitfire Comments

Flown my Hobby King (HK) Spit a few times now and have some observations and comments for the Group. Nicely detailed plane but it's still an HK/Art-tech machine. Down on power and lacks a decent landing gear.

I've broken one strut just trying to straighten it out on the bench. Those meager spot welds really compromise the integrity of the wire strut even though they're buried in those mock plastic housings. Had to use cold weld epoxy and additional landing gear wire to get it back together.

I've tried three props, the stock OEM tri-blade, an APC 10E7, and an APC 9E9 all using the stock power train. Out of all the props, the 9E9 is working the best but still not satisfactory for a (semi) scale warbird. In my humble opinion this little plane should have unlimited vertical right out of the box but no such luck.

For this reason I decided to upgrade the motor with one that's a direct bolt-on replacement from Hobby Partz for the Airfield Hellcat. It's the brushless Motor for their F6F 1100mm 1050kv.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/93a806-10-brushlessmotor.html

Not a huge jump in size but better than the stock 700kv motor. Also put in a 30A ESC to help with the increased power output of the "bigger" motor. I'm also using 1800 mAh batteries for a little longer flight times than the (recommended) 1300's.

Had some issues trying to get a 2" Dubro plastic spinner set up to work but I think I've got that handled. I'm using parts from an E-flite prop adapter and it seems to be holding on the threaded shaft securely now.

I haven't flown it with the new power set up but if "feels" like it's got more guts than before. I'm also going to experiment with flaperons to see if that makes any difference for lowering the airspeed for landing approaches.

In stock form it flies OK, but it's very underpowered. Hopefully, these latest mods will wake this lil' warbird up and get some unlimited vertical in the mix. Landings need to more speed than typical sport planes but (not) too much more. Just need to be a little more conscious with the throttle to get the plane to settle into a nice glide angle.

Looking forward to my next flights with the new power train set up and the 9E9. I'll let you know how it goes.
RCAV8T0R is online now Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Last edited by RCAV8T0R; Sep 06, 2011 at 09:53 AM. Reason: missing words
Old Sep 06, 2011, 12:27 AM
AMA 52726
Joined Jun 2005
1,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post

Looking forward to my next flights with the new power train set up and the 9E9. I'll let you know how it goes.
Great information, and I hope to hear how it goes with the new setup! I'm interested in beefing up the specs on my AT Spit as well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2011, 01:37 AM
No Guts, No Glory
Nederland, LI, Helden
Joined Sep 2010
572 Posts
motor modification

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post
Flown my Hobby King (HK) Spit a few times now and have some observations and comments for the Group. Nicely detailed plane but it's still an HK/Art-tech machine. Down on power and lacks a decent landing gear.

I've broken one strut just trying to straighten it out on the bench. Those meager spot welds really compromise the integrity of the wire strut even though they're buried in the mock plastic housings. Had to use cold weld epoxy and additional landing gear wire to get it back together.

I've tried three props on the OEM, the stock tri-blade, an APC 10E7, and an APC 9E9 all using the stock power train. Of all, the props the 9E9 is working the best but still not satisfactory for a (semi) scale warbird. In my humble opinion this little plane should have unlimited vertical right out of the box but no such luck.

For this reason I decided to upgrade the motor with one that's a direct bolt-on replacement from Hobby Partz for the Airfield Hellcat. It's the brushless Motor for their F6F 1100mm 1050kv.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/93a806-10-brushlessmotor.html

Not a huge jump in size but better than the stock 700kv motor. Also put in a 30A ESC to help with the increased power output of the "bigger" motor. I'm also using 1800 mAh batteries for a little longer flight times than the 1300's.

Had some issues trying to get a 2" Dubro plastic spinner set up to work but I think I've got that handled. I'm using parts from an E-flite prop adapter and it seems to be holding on the threaded shaft securely now.

I haven't flown it with the new power set up but if "feels" like it's got more guts than before. I'm also going to experiment with flaperons to see if that makes any difference for lowering the airspeed for landing approaches.

In stock form it flies OK, but it's very underpowered. Hopefully, these latest mods will wake this lil' warbird up and get some unlimited vertical in the mix. Landings need to more speed than typical sport planes but too much more. Just need to be a little more conscious with the throttle to get the plane to settle into a nice glide angle.

Don know if you seen this.....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=22

http://www.youtube.com/v/O72v5fLiqLc?version=3&fs=1

greets Hans