HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2011, 02:42 PM
No Guts, No Glory
Nederland, LI, Helden
Joined Sep 2010
544 Posts
ArtTech HobbyKing Spitfire

28-05-2011

wind lie down so I could make a test flight with Spit after modification of prop, 10E7 and new spinner.
Lipo 22003cel , well its a plesent suprise I can fly Spit now at 30-40% trottle compare speed too stock setup.
Giving full trottle I go unlimited vertical but most of all I got some spare speed in Spit.
Really enjoy flying this plane.

didn't monitor Lipo after 12+min flying so will do that later and update this.
I monitor LIPO and got 35% but I forget that I tested at home static trust and watt meter test.
So I think I can fly with this setup around 18 minutes and maybe more!

timmybeetle is offline Find More Posts by timmybeetle
Last edited by timmybeetle; May 29, 2011 at 02:30 AM. Reason: update lipo power
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2011, 12:39 AM
No Guts, No Glory
Nederland, LI, Helden
Joined Sep 2010
544 Posts
too much wind

Update Hobbyking-ArtTech Spitfire

Last week I was trying to fly....I bought a anometer(wind)...but make a mistake with menu!
I choose m/s instead of Km/h so reading was 7 m/s and I flew away...after just one turn my Spit went into the ground couldn't get here in control.
I thought what the ...below 10 must be fine......my mistake haha
Yes I am aware that this was far to much wind for the little Spit...because it's more than 25 Km/h......
My Durafly-Hobbyking could handle this but this Spit has a wingspan of 1,4M.
With landing I could hoover above runway haha now I know why.......!

Anyway Spit is repaired and flying again just as it did before so thats the good part.

Keep flying save and watch the WIND haha...

greets Hans
timmybeetle is offline Find More Posts by timmybeetle
Old Jun 06, 2011, 05:17 AM
Germany, near Stuttgart
Joined Jan 2007
32 Posts
Hi Hans,
my Spit crashed in the same way you wrote. I use a DT 750 from HK, 2.200 mAh Lipo and 11 x 8 Aeronaut folding prop. At maximum throttle this consumes 19 A = 195 W and she goe's fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmybeetle View Post
I choose m/s instead of Km/h so reading was 7 m/s and I flew away...after just one turn my Spit went into the ground couldn't get here in control.
I thought what the ...below 10 must be fine......my mistake haha
Yes I am aware that this was far to much wind for the little Spit...because it's more than 25 Km/h......
The trick ist like shelterock posted:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
....I set up dual rates on the ailerons and moved the elevator pushrod to the middle horn position. I switched the servos /pushrods so they cross in the fuse and therefore deflect less than from the factory. .....
Cross the pushrods for rudder and elevator! And so it's no more a problem to pull her up. The elevator-pushrod is too weak and mine bend in such way that the elevator gone down whilest more speed and I pulled the stick for elevatur up . May be this is not a problem with stock-motor, but we fly a little bit faster (didn't we ).

- Pramus -
Pramus is offline Find More Posts by Pramus
Last edited by Pramus; Jun 06, 2011 at 05:55 AM. Reason: edit: prop-data
Old Jun 19, 2011, 08:52 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,418 Posts
Maidened my Art Tech Spit today and I was mostly very impressed. With a 1300 mAh 3S pack fitting easily in the battery compartment she balanced correctly and took off and flew beautifully, more like a real Spitfire than a sport plane, which is fine. First landing was a 3 pointer (on slightly rough grass) but on the second the lower landing gear mount broke. This is not such a problem as I will now hand launch the Spit (now that I know it flies OK) after and belly land it after removing the lower scoops etc. since I think that looks much better in the air.

I made a couple of mods:

Since I have never had much luck with keeping long, threaded motor shafts straight, I fitted a prop saver to it for the maiden (using a 10 x 5 prop). This is a HobbyKing 3mm prop saver which was tapped (M4 x 0.6) and a special sleeve made up. This will probably be necessary for belly landing the plane, but think I can modify it to allow a 50mm spinner to be fitted together with the prop saver (I will post later if this works).

I glued a plastic L under the removable part of the cowling and tied this to the motor mount with elastic since I think I read somewhere that this had a tendency to fly off!

I reversed the elevator and rudder servos to give straighter control rods (as mentioned above).

I ironed down or glued the horrible tape, and replaced the yellow on the leading edge with decent iron on film.

All in all a rather nice Spit, both looking and flying
richard9999 is online now Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Jun 19, 2011, 10:26 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,418 Posts
One other mod I made to the Spit was to remove the pilot. You can do this by pulling him out from below, without the need to remove the cockpit.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 05:30 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard9999 View Post
One other mod I made to the Spit was to remove the pilot. You can do this by pulling him out from below, without the need to remove the cockpit.
yeah, I weighed mine out of the plane and he was 28 grams.
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Gia Normans are coming
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:35 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pramus View Post
Hi Hans,
my Spit crashed in the same way you wrote. I use a DT 750 from HK, 2.200 mAh Lipo and 11 x 8 Aeronaut folding prop. At maximum throttle this consumes 19 A = 195 W and she goe's fine.

The trick ist like shelterock posted:

Cross the pushrods for rudder and elevator! And so it's no more a problem to pull her up. The elevator-pushrod is too weak and mine bend in such way that the elevator gone down whilest more speed and I pulled the stick for elevatur up . May be this is not a problem with stock-motor, but we fly a little bit faster (didn't we ).

- Pramus -
Thank you, Glad to be of service. I've been flying successfully without landing gear and haven't broken a prop. The grass has split and destroyed the yellow tape on the leading edge of the wing. I also cartwheeled a landing that bent the tail wheel. I may well remove that as well since i don't plan on taxiing anyway. That might save a couple grams in favor of the cg too.
Anyone know if the plastic piece under the tail section is easily removable?
shelterock is online now Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:09 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,418 Posts
Well, after the plastic piece holding the landing gear broke on the 2nd maiden, I flew the Spit without gear today, and she certainly looked much better in the air. Both hand launch and landing were problem free, and I will carry on like this, certainly as long as the Australian grass stays reasonably soft!

One mod I made after removing the radiators and scoop from the underside was to glue on parts of plastic spoons to protect the servos and the bit of foam which held the scoop.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:53 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2007
1,370 Posts
New Art-Tech Spitfire
http://art-tech.cn/english/ArticleSh...?ArticleID=328

Looks much better than the old one.
FLOEY is online now Find More Posts by FLOEY
Old Jun 27, 2011, 01:09 PM
AMA 52726
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jun 2005
1,493 Posts
Cool! I may have to check it out! I'm waiting for some nice weather to fly mine again, but I'm always open to another Spitfire in the hangar!
Edge767 is offline Find More Posts by Edge767
Old Jun 27, 2011, 01:23 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2007
1,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post
Cool! I may have to check it out! I'm waiting for some nice weather to fly mine again, but I'm always open to another Spitfire in the hangar!
I got the Kyosho aiRium 25" Spitfire it's my favorite warbird. Got also
the Bf.109 same size and E-flite P-40.
FLOEY is online now Find More Posts by FLOEY
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:08 PM
AMA 52726
Joined Jun 2005
1,493 Posts
So, some developments since I wrote this review.

I have come to call this plane, "Grumpy" due to its grumpy tendencies on landing and roll-out. It's a fun plane to fly that requires coordinated turns (my first experience with mixing) to look right, but landings with this plane require a lot more precision and attention than my other planes. The problem is not with the placement of the gear, but with the thin wires that are used for the gear which allow the wheels to spring from side to side too much causing the plane to snap a lot more than planes with more rigid gear. This made the plane for me not as fun to fly since I love landing so much. Thus, I was beginning to think that this plane was going to become a hangar queen and not one of my front-line flyers. Well, I used to think this until I took the gear off and started landing on grass.

Where the landing gear on the Spitfire make it prone to tipping on a wing on any rollout that isn't perfectly straight, landings in grass are a breeze and she sets down super smooth. I typically don't like hand launching and gearless recovery, but with the Spitfire, I had no choice: the landing gear mounting plate snapped again and I couldn't fix it easily. I decided to try it without the gear, and to be honest, I fell in love with this plane. It flies so much better without the landing gear attached, and landings are so stress-free that it's now one of my go-to planes whenever I just want to go fly for a few batteries at a local large grassy area.

It looks great in the sky with the gear gone, it flies better without the gear, and landings are less stressful. That makes for a great combination and definitely turned this plane into one of my favorites.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 01:56 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post
So, some developments since I wrote this review.

I had no choice: the landing gear mounting plate snapped again and I couldn't fix it easily.
Yeah, mine was the same thing. I just pulled the struts out and flew it. After several grass landings I still haven't torn loose the radiator scoops so i will leave them. it is a fun little plane
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Gia Normans are coming
Old Aug 08, 2011, 09:11 PM
AMA 52726
Joined Jun 2005
1,493 Posts
It's been another three weeks, and I've been putting a lot more time on this plane. Still flying without the LG attached, and I will probably always do so with this plane. For a Spitfire with LG, I'll stick to the PZ Spitfire.

Anyway, this plane seems to be doing really well. It flies great, rolls fantastically, and is quite stable for a bird its size. No issues with the airframe, electronics, or motor thus far. Still on the very first prop, too! Radio is an Orange RX and so far, no issues.

A solid plane that fits in my car nicely for those times when I just want to go to the park and launch for a few sorties. Can't beat it!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 03:16 AM
Norge, Akershus, Gjerdrum
Joined Aug 2011
1 Posts
Propeller and spinner???

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmybeetle View Post
Hi spitfire flying guys.

I updated my Spitfire motor because the stock motor works good but has in mine opinion a little bit lack off power.

I used this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14742

as replacement and you can see its fits the same as stock one.
I use at the moment a 10E7 prop which gives me 1450 grams of static trust.
I use a 3s 2200 Lipo and a 30A mystery ECS, rated 30A with burst 45A for 12 sec
It throws around 38 amps , 350-400 watts.
So be careful with full throttle.
I just bought that motor What propeller and spinner are you using???

For now I'm using a 11x8,5 without spinner. It's wery fast, but dos not have a lot of power/trust.
My 1500mah battery gives me about 6 minutes of fun flighttime
Maxmekkers is offline Find More Posts by Maxmekkers