Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:15 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1 Posts
Help!
Please help me out with some questions i'm asking for a school project! Thanks!!

Please help me out by answering my survey questions. I have decided to do a psychology project on my favorite hobby. I would greatly appreciate it if you guys could give me some good feedback! Thanks!

“Anonymous Research RC Hobby Survey”

1. “What is your race/ethnicity?”
2. “Male or Female?”
3. “Age?”
4. “Why did you get into the RC hobby?”
5. “Do you engage in your RC hobby individually or in groups?”
6. “ Why do you think more males are involved in the RC hobby than females?”
7. “What keeps you interested in the RC hobby?”
bd18z3 is offline Find More Posts by bd18z3
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:28 PM
Flying Ace
Joined Dec 2010
10 Posts
answers

1. White
2. Male
3. 46
4. Was a failed attempt when I was very young, technology has added reliability, and the ability to replace at low cost.
5. Both individually, and myself, and with son (12)
6. Just like they are with dolls, Boys and airplanes.
7. Successful flights, changing products, challenge, and of course, the "crash & rebuild".
Stephan Brown is offline Find More Posts by Stephan Brown
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:29 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,372 Posts
Very interesting. A demographic survey of the RC community. I've wondered, but never asked...

1. Caucasian

2. Male

3. 16

4. It's always just interested me; I've been fooling with R/C stuff ever since I was too young to know what a radio signal was.

5. I fly and build individually, though I take part extensively in online discussions like this

6. Women are smarter than men and they know that this hobby is a money/time trap that will consume their lives. Men just wander in happily; the insanely mechanical and overly complex nature of the hobby seems to appeal to the inner male need to fool endlessly with their toys

7. Ummm... By now I'm so far in that it would be a shameful pity to leave it. I just love to be able to design a plane, and then build it, and then see my creation fly under my own control. It's almost a form of artistic expression that deals heavily with science and mechanical/electronic skills.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:34 AM
Jamie
alaska
Joined Sep 2006
278 Posts
1. White
2. Male
3. 31
4. I've always been fascinated with flight and the physics of it
5. Individually, Used to be in a club but I got sick of hearing old men fighting with each other
6. I think there are more men interested in aviation as a whole. I've worked as an acft mechanic for the past 13 years both civilian and military and it has always been man dominated both aircrew and mx.
7. I get bored with my planes fairly quick. I would say a successful maiden brings the excitement right back.
jamnbec is offline Find More Posts by jamnbec
Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:15 AM
RC did this to me
USA, CT, Jewett City
Joined Sep 2008
563 Posts
Ok…middle age…always wanted to fly…couldn’t afford it then…can now...why I keep doing it...hmmm...I ask that every time I crash...don't know...I guess its because I can.

Now the woman thing…easy answerer that is far more complex when all reason applied. As far as the domination of men in aviation…I think it’s a simple acceptance issue that only in the past decade has changed with any significance…men flew planes

I think thou this reason is far more complex women and men are groomed from the very first day of birth…girls into women…boys into men… I think a lot of the grooming comes direct for the advertising of the markets that goes as far back as its been done and still to this day…as example would you ever see a old black and white advertisement with a man in the kitchen selling any kind of kitchen products? How about now…how many cleaning things from soaps to vacuums to floor sweepers do you see men doing it?

Companies have and always will target the group that buys the product…and as they do this they also inadvertently send out subliminal messages that stereotype women and men. That all happened prior to video and still continues…with the evolutions of video technology…the stereotypes where securely founded to lead the public in opinion.

I think the roles of men and women have always been developed into changes…just look at the last election…but I think money rules the world and public acceptance of what is appropriate for little girls and will always be dictated by such.

Girls will be girls and play with dolls…boys will always want mechanical representing toys and get grease under the nails…not to say this is 100% but the majority will always be ruled by the markets that set the direction of your perspectives
rcflyerEric is offline Find More Posts by rcflyerEric
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:26 AM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,731 Posts
Anonymous Research RC Hobby Survey”

1. White
2. Male
3. 73
4. I grew up during World War II. maybe that's why I've always been plane crazy. I moved into RC in 1980 after building rubber, controlline, free flight since age 6
5. I fly at a club field, but prefer flying by myself.
6. Gender stereotyping, mostly. Since girls are so badly outnumbered, there's no peer group to help an interested girl stay in. i've known a few wives/girlfriends who participated, but it's lonely with only boys around.
7. Always something new. Got tired of RC, went back to controlline and rubber. BAck to RC, got into electrics. If I get bored again, maybe helicopters.....
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:36 AM
JUNK RADIO
USA, NY, Queens
Joined Dec 2006
3,100 Posts
date done.
Flazo is online now Find More Posts by Flazo
Last edited by Flazo; Mar 31, 2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:48 AM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
...getting ready for the move to LTUP....
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Last edited by HappyKillmore; Apr 04, 2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:58 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1 Posts
thanks for all your feedback!
bd18z3 is offline Find More Posts by bd18z3
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:42 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,372 Posts
Happy, what was the point of posting that?

You just accused someone of being racist, sexist, and ageist, you've made at least one rude/suggestive comment, and you have accused the poster of stereotyping even when his "assumption" is A) true, and B) upheld by responses to the question.

Just another person whose opinion isn't worth my time, I suppose...
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:00 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyKillmore View Post
1) Irrelevant...and you're racist for even asking. Alternate Answer: My race is usually the 50m breast-stroke
2) Irrelevant...and you're sexist for even asking. Alternate Answer: Male or female what? I have two kids, one of each.
3) Irrelevant...and you're ageist for even asking. Alternate Answer: I don't know, I'd guess you're 16?

All 3 questions above are designed to single me out as a particular "class" and all 3 are protected classes in the US.

4) The chicks
5) I prefer "groups" but my wife isn't really into that.
6) You're stereotyping here. You've made assumptions that there are more males involved. Your bias is showing.
7) See #4.

I answered my 2010 census pretty much the same way. I'm glad I could help!
Been a while since you were in HS then eh? They do surveys like this all the time to show that there are race, gender and generational gaps everywhere. His survey is in no way shape or form any of what you accused him of. I answered every quesion on the census 100% truthfully... collecting data is not anythingist. Get over yourself.

1. Irish/Scottish <- I did put that down as race on the census... ok it's caucasian
2. Male
3. 30
4. I've always liked planes since I was a little kid, and my dad is also a plane nut, so he instilled the insanity in me from about the age of two... I named my first cat Airplane. I also have some limitations physically and my stomache isn't really into being upside down or sustaining significant G-forces, so fighter/test pilot/astronaut was out.
5. I enjoy flying with a handful of people and am a crowd pleaser at public events... non competition events that is. I also like just stepping out the door and flying a slow flyer or heli around the yard.
6. Some are intimidated by planes and all things mechanical... just as they tend to stay away from technical fields. Of course women are the nurturers as well so you see more of them in social service positions and teacher positions too. We know that women can be good pilots though... Patty Wagstaff's skills are certainly not to be taken lightly.
7. I haven't built one of every aircraft yet.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:03 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyKillmore View Post
1) Irrelevant...and you're racist for even asking. Alternate Answer: My race is usually the 50m breast-stroke
2) Irrelevant...and you're sexist for even asking. Alternate Answer: Male or female what? I have two kids, one of each.
3) Irrelevant...and you're ageist for even asking. Alternate Answer: I don't know, I'd guess you're 16?

All 3 questions above are designed to single me out as a particular "class" and all 3 are protected classes in the US.
just because some asks does not make them a "racist, sexist or an ageist". yes, these types of questions are protected when your looking for a job but it doesn't mean it can't be in a survey.

why someone would give up pertinent info about themselves ....over the INTERNET, without knowing what or why the info is being used, is beyond my compression. think before you post.
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:05 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,372 Posts
Dirt, just from a glance at your profile I can gather that your name is Jack, you have an 8-year-old daughter, and you live in Ohio. Whether this is true or not, I have no idea, and I probably can't verify any of it in much the same way that you probably would have a tough time proving that I answered these questions truthfully. Either way, I'll probably get nervous when people start asking for my social security number and eye color...

I actually find these things very interesting. So far, ages have been all over the board from 16 to 73, but everyone who's given a response is a white male.

It would be cool if there was a question about how long you've been in the hobby, just out of curiosity
Last edited by C₄H₁₀; Mar 31, 2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:30 PM
Champs Anonymous Member
United States, MD, Bel Air
Joined Mar 2011
618 Posts
Ive been wondering this for a while too. Glad to see someone asking this, with purpose of course. And yeah HappyKillmore I agree that it must have been a while since you've been in a public school. Heck, even a private school now-a-days. Go into your kid/grandkids school and count how many different colors of skin you see. This survery's purpose isnt to tell women they belong behind a stove or that playing with toys is just for men, its a school survey thats it. Ok.. anyway

1. Caucasian
2. Male
3. 19
4. My brother bought a little rc helicopter and it interested me, so i had to "one-up" him and get a 55in plane. Oh and the facts of flight interest me of course
5. I fly individually but i work on my plane with my father.
6. Same reason why so many more guys golf, or go shooting, or go to car shows than women, beause we like to play =) ( This is not saying women don't like to have fun, they get to have just as much fun as we do just in different ways)
7. I "enjoy" working on planes and i love the characteristics of flight and this is probably the closest ill ever get.
GJOsik is offline Find More Posts by GJOsik
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:30 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP16 View Post
It would be cool if there was a question about how long you've been in the hobby, just out of curiosity
Since you were in diapers... no really.

Actually started building 18 years ago, and flying 16 years ago... just R/C.

I had tons of those $.75 balsa gliders and rubber band powered planes, and a bunch of foam gliders starting when I was about 5-6, and then graduated to guillow's kits at about 10. I also built and launched rockets throughout my childhood and into my early 20's... still have quite a stockpile of rockets and motors (explosive failure rate for motors after about 15 years of storage is approximately 50% lol).

Oh and my social security number is ***-**-****
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Closed Thread