Old Jan 04, 2012, 04:23 AM
Byron C
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2011
726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
Hello everyone, I'm new here.

I got into 3D a few months ago and bought an Addiction X. I can now do rolling harriers, prop-hanging, inverted flat spin, etc... I'm very happy with it, and have received many great compliments at the park. I like the look of the Banit a lot due to its higher wing loading and great speed and precision.

I have a few questions and would be very grateful if you could answer them

1) What servos would you recommend? Reading through this thread, the HS-65MG looks ideal, but would the 5065MG be a better idea? Someone said the MKS DS92 maybe a good idea also, has anyone tried them yet?

2) How long did it take you guys to build? It took me about 17 hours in total to build the Addiction X, so a comparison to this would be great

3) Does the spinner come pre-cut?

4) How much better is 4S than 3S in terms of speed and fun? I fly at a park which is fairly big but am worried the 4S will be too much power and speed.

I will very likely be doing a build thread when I buy this model, which will be probably be early next month

Thanks
Since you're used to the extra ease and relaxed flying pace of the ADX, already have the 3S packs on hand, and flying in a space restricted area, I'd definitely go with 3S on the Bandit to start.

Flying the Bandit on 4S is just a prop-N-pack change away, so that can be done anytime in the future when you feel the "need for speed" HTH, Byron
3DeltaFly is offline Find More Posts by 3DeltaFly
Last edited by 3DeltaFly; Jan 04, 2012 at 10:11 AM. Reason: typo correction
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2012, 08:12 AM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
5065MG it is then As for the power, I may go for the 4S then! I can always reduce the amount of power if it's too much. The Addiction X spinner came precut, but I had to trim it like you said to get a perfect fit. That's nice to hear that I can transfer my experience from the Addiction build to the Bandit

I practice on the simulator a lot, especially with the rolling harriers I like how I can transfer what I learned there very easily to the Addiction Unfortunately, my flying is still messy and imprecise. This is about my twelfth flight on the Addiction X (this video will give you an idea on the size of my flying space also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxEQ2CL80p4

I'm hoping I can get some footage with the Bandit too

Thank you very much for your quick reply
Great flying!!! I think for you 3S would be better for the space you fly in, the spinner comes pre-cut, and i think it takes less time to build than the addiction x, mainly because this one doesnt use a pull pull system for the rudder, apart from that the build is very similar.
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 04, 2012, 08:42 AM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Nice flying there!!

Now come on, level with us dude, a noob dont put a video together like that Promo quality video, pro cameraman etc!

For that style of flying 3S would be best I'm sure. Yes you could throttle back 4S but why bother with the extra weight?

(Jealous) Tony!
I forgot about the weight thing, lol I've watched some more videos, and 3s does look powerful enough. Moreover, I can use the batteries from the Addiction X then (3S is cheaper, too) I think it's going to be 3s then!
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Old Jan 04, 2012, 09:17 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,499 Posts
Same here, I already got a bunch of 3S so they will do fine

Still not sure what to expect in the box, I mean not sure what needs doing to assemble this model...

I dont have any 4S batts, just 3S + 6S, I notice that the Extra MX (sorry off topic I know) uses 2x 3S in series so I wonder if that would work with my 6S packs instead? (off topic further but... in my helis 1x6S is far more efficient than 2x3S)
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Jan 04, 2012, 11:59 AM
Registered Pilot
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2006
935 Posts
Quote:

Still not sure what to expect in the box, I mean not sure what needs doing to assemble this model...
Pretty much standard ARF building. Attaching wings, tail, gear, cowl and engine, servos, linkages, radio, gluing hinges, etc. I wish PA would put the manual on their website so that we know what else we need to buy to complete the plane at the time we are buying it. Just about every major manufacturer has their manuals up on the internet now (which is also good if you lose yours or need to refer to it for repairs later, such as the CG or recommended throws after a crash and repair).
bmschulman is offline Find More Posts by bmschulman
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2012, 01:16 PM
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Jan 2008
203 Posts
Firewall?

Hey guys,

Just ordered a Bandit in YELLOW and I'm busy looking around for information on alternative power setups before dropping the $$$ on the iPA setup.

From what I've read, the Bandit's firewall has been pre drilled to accommodate the Thrust 40 motor. My question is, what are the dimensions of the hole pattern? Can someone provide some measurements? or maybe even a rudimentary drawing??

What alternative motors have people played with for this airframe?

Thanks!

Justin
jredingt is offline Find More Posts by jredingt
Last edited by jredingt; Jan 04, 2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 01:39 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,738 Posts
I know in my old AMR, which called for the Thrust 40, I used the Torque 2814-820, which lined up perfectly. Now the bolt holes on the 2814-820 also line up with the Hacker A30-14L, so theres 2 other options that should work. The Torque 2818-900 also uses the same cross brace. Hope that helps some.
stevelmaa is online now Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old Jan 04, 2012, 01:49 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jredingt View Post
Hey guys,

Just ordered a Bandit in YELLOW and I'm busy looking around for information on alternative power setups before dropping the $$$ on the iPA setup.

From what I've read, the Bandit's firewall has been pre drilled to accommodate the Thrust 40 motor. My question is, what are the dimensions of the hole pattern? Can someone provide some measurements? or maybe even a rudimentary drawing??

What alternative motors have people played with for this airframe?

Thanks!

Justin
I plan to use an Axi 2820/14. Not sure if the mounting holes on the firewall match with that engine, cause both still are warped and waiting till tomorrow ..., but I think that motor is also a good option ... lets see....
ultimatetwo is offline Find More Posts by ultimatetwo
Old Jan 04, 2012, 01:54 PM
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Jan 2008
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelmaa View Post
I know in my old AMR, which called for the Thrust 40, I used the Torque 2814-820, which lined up perfectly. Now the bolt holes on the 2814-820 also line up with the Hacker A30-14L, so theres 2 other options that should work. The Torque 2818-900 also uses the same cross brace. Hope that helps some.
Cool! Thanks for the leads. That gives me a few directions to go while looking for hole pattern layout.

Anyone else?
jredingt is offline Find More Posts by jredingt
Old Jan 04, 2012, 02:23 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
.......What exactly is the crack with the IPAs too? PA say they have found the exact powertrain to use to stop us getting it wrong, sounds good. Then they offer 3 different versions for differing flying styles and offer different prop suggestions! So that makes me think IPAs are just a gimmick, why dont we just stick to our own ideas afterall...

£150 is a bit steep for a motor and ESC. I do have a busted Cularis which I could gut the motor from to get airborne cheaper. Then again, if the IPA 40/45 is all that they say then I may just get the entire combo.

Opinions? Sorry for all the noob questions btw
SP,

We meet again! I've been flying a PA Extra 260 for about three years now. Based on my very positive experience with the Extra's exceptional build quality, outstanding flight characteristics, and class-leading power-to-weight ratio, I will soon be building a Bandit.

Regarding PA's IPAs - it's definitely not a gimmick. Read the info on PA's site, check the datasheets, and notice the inflight telemetry data PA uses to optimize each power-package to its respective airframe. When you choose the IPAs, you get spec performance - same as what you see in the promo videos. Plus, you get a power-package that is well-matched to the airframe, with components that are guaranteed to play well together.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2012, 02:47 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,273 Posts
Of the top of my head it's a 25mm pattern, I got a Motrolfly 2820-950, fit perfectly just had to enlarge the mounting holes slightly and increase the shaft hole as the Motrolfly has a collar on the front to prevent the bell? etc.. being pushed back. Only other issue was the shaft was too long so had to make a couple new flats on the shaft for the retaining grub screws to tighten against so I could slide the shaft back about 15mm.
luke352 is offline Find More Posts by luke352
Old Jan 04, 2012, 02:59 PM
Joined Jul 2008
43 Posts
Hey bandit owners. I am eagerly awaiting the maiden flight of my Blue Bandit (not completely built yet), and had a question about the different batteries people are using in this airframe.

The only batteries I fly anymore are the sky lipo's. I have four 2200's(3s) that pretty much keep me flying non-stop at the field with the Hitec charger. I have well over a hundred cycles on those, and they have been fantastic! So, I am planning to continue flying this same brand in the Bandit during this upcoming season.

My question: I will be ordering some 4s batteries sometime soon, as I definitely want to fly this plane on that set-up some day. Although, I want to begin with a 3s set-up first.

To cut this short, I was wondering if there are people flying their Bandit on larger 3s packs than the reccomended 2200 size? The sky 2200's are 197gms. I was thinking of ordering some sky 2650 lipo's when I order my new 4s packs. Those 2650 3s packs come out at 247gms vs 197gms on the 2200's... I was thinking that this would actually be beneficial, since everyone seems to be mounting their 2200's so far forward to obtain the reccomended center of gravity. Plus, they may provide a slightly longer run-time, and maybe a bit more power too?

Does anyone have some feedback for me?
Thanks, Ian
Lifesaver is offline Find More Posts by Lifesaver
Old Jan 04, 2012, 03:15 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,479 Posts
My only advice would be to experiment with other brands of battery

I kid... but I have puffed more of those Sky's than any other brand. From my personal experience, their C-ratings are inflated and get far hotter temps during discharge than my Turnigey nanos.

After my last 5s sky lipo turned into a balloon from running a 70mm edf, I have not used them since. I have found Turnigey nanos to out-perform ANY other brand on the market in terms of discharge rates, number of cycles in a life, and in operating temperatures. My testing included regular turnigey batteries, nanotechs, sky, venom, precision aerobatics and thunder power.

Moreover, I like that with my nano's and my Hyperion Super Duo3, I am able to charge at 20 amps!!! That results in a fully balanced charge in under 6-7 mins. I have also not seen any drop in performance from charging at these rates for over 6 months.

The best part is, charging at these rates has changed the way I buy and transport batteries. No longer do I need more than 2 batteries for any plane because I can charge one on the Duo faster than I can discharge one in the air
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snuggles Speaks
Old Jan 04, 2012, 03:31 PM
zürich
Joined Jun 2008
1,074 Posts
bought two 4s 3300 for the bandit.
should give 7 min flying time.
long leng is offline Find More Posts by long leng
Old Jan 04, 2012, 06:18 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa4geg View Post
Since you're used to the extra ease and relaxed flying pace of the ADX, already have the 3S packs on hand, and flying is a space restricted area, I'd definitely go with 3S on the Bandit to start.

Flying the Bandit on 4S is just a prop-N-pack change away, so that can be done anytime in the future when you feel the "need for speed" HTH, Byron
Thanks for your reply! As you say, I can always up the battery to 4S when I want. That would make more sense than the other way
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout