HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2012, 08:58 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,345 Posts
Been flying my Bandit mostly on 3s. But just did 2 flights on 4s. Think I might have to get some more 4s batts. It really is a nice bird on 4s!!
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2012, 06:04 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,995 Posts
I'm tempted to get one of these. Real tempted! Got an unexpected tax return so I might just treat myself

I've been trying to read the entire thread but there is a lot here! What state does the kit come in? Is it a case of slapping in some radio gear and off you go or a bit more than that? Seen some posts about lining up the tailplane so I take it that has to go on!

What exactly is the crack with the IPAs too? PA say they have found the exact powertrain to use to stop us getting it wrong, sounds good. Then they offer 3 different versions for differing flying styles and offer different prop suggestions! So that makes me think IPAs are just a gimmick, why dont we just stick to our own ideas afterall...

150 is a bit steep for a motor and ESC. I do have a busted Cularis which I could gut the motor from to get airborne cheaper. Then again, if the IPA 40/45 is all that they say then I may just get the entire combo.

Opinions? Sorry for all the noob questions btw
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Jan 02, 2012, 06:55 PM
Registered Pilot
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2006
894 Posts
Soldering the servo wires

The instructions call for a lot of soldering of servo wires for the necessary extensions. Is there any reason not to just use pre-made servo extensions? That would save time and effort, and I think add very little weight (if any). Has anyone just used premade extensions and skipped all the soldering? Thanks.
bmschulman is offline Find More Posts by bmschulman
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2012, 07:25 PM
Joined Nov 2008
219 Posts
i hate soldering - i am terrible at it - i think soldering is one key area that could be eliminated to make the build so much easier - perhaps an option to buy pre soldered servos and leads would be a great thing for PA to consider ?

i have used pre made extensions with success - they do add a tiny bit of extra weight - but worth it for the ease of build.
Reflex Films is offline Find More Posts by Reflex Films
Old Jan 02, 2012, 08:25 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,241 Posts
TBH the most annoying part for me other than soldering up extensions, was the control linkages. The fact that once made you are left with no adjustment just bugs the hell out of me, as you spend quite a rediculous amount of time checking and double checking all your servo centering and rod lengths before glueing it all together only to have to use subtrim anyway, because getting it perfect is near impossible. I know it's all about saving weight but I have an Edge 540 that is of similar size and yet is a good 5-10oz lighter and it uses conventional metal rods with adjustment.

I have sourced a Motrolfly 2820-950 for mine which fit fine, I just needed to expand the opening the motor is fit through by a very minor amount as the Motrolfly is 39mm dia vs. 37.2mm for the Thrust. You could possibly go up to 40mm dia but I wouldn't go any larger even 40mm might be pushing it. I also had to play around with the shaft on the motor to get it shorter. I may have gone for the Thrust but I can get Scorpions and Motrolfly's cheaper than what they want for a Thrust.

My Horizontal stab level was perfect, no adjustment necessary.

If you can't be bothered soldering just stick to normal lightweight extensions.

I like to think of it as they've left all the annoying fiddly stuff for the owner as it would take to long in the factory, lol!

Of course i'm sure this will all be forgiven once flown!
luke352 is offline Find More Posts by luke352
Old Jan 03, 2012, 02:55 AM
Paul
Tasmania, Australia
Joined Nov 2008
525 Posts
Hi
Just about all set for the maiden on Thursday, weather allowing,
To get the CG correct I had to install the 11.1V 2200 mAh over way into the motor box is that correct?
I have the ESC mounted under the motor as per instructions.

Silent Pilot----- I did like the IPA kit saved me time not having to look for the correct set up, in the other forums these can give you other options to buy outside PA. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...238405&page=33

Bmschulman-----I agree about the soldering but it is your choice to solder or not solder I did both and added an extension lead on the esc to reach the RX

Thank you Paul
spirroau is offline Find More Posts by spirroau
Old Jan 03, 2012, 03:17 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,345 Posts
Yes on 3s you do have to have the battery pretty far forward.
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Jan 03, 2012, 04:16 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,995 Posts
Thanks Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2012, 05:08 AM
Paul
Tasmania, Australia
Joined Nov 2008
525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kamikaze View Post
Yes on 3s you do have to have the battery pretty far forward.
Thankyou Now for the Velcro.
spirroau is offline Find More Posts by spirroau
Old Jan 03, 2012, 10:21 AM
Registered Pilot
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2006
894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke352 View Post
If you can't be bothered soldering just stick to normal lightweight extensions.
I was going to use standard JR extensions. Are there special "lightweight" extensions that someone sells?
bmschulman is offline Find More Posts by bmschulman
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2012, 11:22 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmschulman View Post
I was going to use standard JR extensions. Are there special "lightweight" extensions that someone sells?
I think there are two "gauges" of wires and quality of terminals used on both.You will be fine with the JR extensions and there will be no noticed weight difference in flight between those extensions versus the "lighter",I'll say lighter quality extensions lol..
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Jan 03, 2012, 09:21 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,755 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm new here.

I got into 3D a few months ago and bought an Addiction X. I can now do rolling harriers, prop-hanging, inverted flat spin, etc... I'm very happy with it, and have received many great compliments at the park. I like the look of the Banit a lot due to its higher wing loading and great speed and precision.

I have a few questions and would be very grateful if you could answer them

1) What servos would you recommend? Reading through this thread, the HS-65MG looks ideal, but would the 5065MG be a better idea? Someone said the MKS DS92 maybe a good idea also, has anyone tried them yet?

2) How long did it take you guys to build? It took me about 17 hours in total to build the Addiction X, so a comparison to this would be great

3) Does the spinner come pre-cut?

4) How much better is 4S than 3S in terms of speed and fun? I fly at a park which is fairly big but am worried the 4S will be too much power and speed.

I will very likely be doing a build thread when I buy this model, which will be probably be early next month

Thanks
RCPilot1234 is online now Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Finally! Durafly Junior Review
Old Jan 03, 2012, 09:31 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
Hello everyone, I'm new here.

I got into 3D a few months ago and bought an Addiction X. I can now do rolling harriers, prop-hanging, inverted flat spin, etc... I'm very happy with it, and have received many great compliments at the park. I like the look of the Banit a lot due to its higher wing loading and great speed and precision.

I have a few questions and would be very grateful if you could answer them

1) What servos would you recommend? Reading through this thread, the HS-65MG looks ideal, but would the 5065MG be a better idea? Someone said the MKS DS92 maybe a good idea also, has anyone tried them yet?

2) How long did it take you guys to build? It took me about 17 hours in total to build the Addiction X, so a comparison to this would be great

3) Does the spinner come pre-cut?

4) How much better is 4S than 3S in terms of speed and fun? I fly at a park which is fairly big but am worried the 4S will be too much power and speed.

I will very likely be doing a build thread when I buy this model, which will be probably be early next month

Thanks
a couple of months and you are already doing rolling harriers??I hate you!

hs 65 or the digital versions will be great!Ive not tried the others you mentioned.
4s is more power than 3s.not sure if it is better.Its just different.
I "THINK" the spinner comes precut but you may have to trim it some.I forget.
You can probably figure a little less than the addiction build mostly because you have now assembled a pa plane so you've got the "stink off"
so to speak. rock on and good luck!!
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Jan 03, 2012, 10:00 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
a couple of months and you are already doing rolling harriers??I hate you!

hs 65 or the digital versions will be great!Ive not tried the others you mentioned.
4s is more power than 3s.not sure if it is better.Its just different.
I "THINK" the spinner comes precut but you may have to trim it some.I forget.
You can probably figure a little less than the addiction build mostly because you have now assembled a pa plane so you've got the "stink off"
so to speak. rock on and good luck!!
5065MG it is then As for the power, I may go for the 4S then! I can always reduce the amount of power if it's too much. The Addiction X spinner came precut, but I had to trim it like you said to get a perfect fit. That's nice to hear that I can transfer my experience from the Addiction build to the Bandit

I practice on the simulator a lot, especially with the rolling harriers I like how I can transfer what I learned there very easily to the Addiction Unfortunately, my flying is still messy and imprecise. This is about my twelfth flight on the Addiction X (this video will give you an idea on the size of my flying space also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxEQ2CL80p4

I'm hoping I can get some footage with the Bandit too

Thank you very much for your quick reply
RCPilot1234 is online now Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Finally! Durafly Junior Review
Old Jan 04, 2012, 02:48 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,995 Posts
Nice flying there!!

Now come on, level with us dude, a noob dont put a video together like that Promo quality video, pro cameraman etc!

For that style of flying 3S would be best I'm sure. Yes you could throttle back 4S but why bother with the extra weight?

(Jealous) Tony!
RCG Plus Member