HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2011, 02:15 PM
Jerry McFlyer-Show Me The Lipo
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Dec 2010
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayars View Post
However, as I fly bigger and bigger airplanes (up to 40%) I notice more and more how much different the PA planes fly then anything else out there. If I come from a bigger plane down to a PA plane it takes me a good battery pack to get back in "touch" with the plane.
I think you'll find that coming down from a bigger plane to a smaller one will be similar, irrespective of the brand.

I fly REAL planes ( that's 100% just to clarify ) and I find the same thing as you when I then go home and fly my Bandit and other makes of planes

Got to go now. I have to find a thread about slicks to go and write epic novels about the Bandit on
bring the thunda is offline Find More Posts by bring the thunda
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2011, 02:20 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bring the thunda View Post
I think you'll find that coming down from a bigger plane to a smaller one will be similar, irrespective of the brand.

I fly REAL planes ( that's 100% just to clarify ) and I find the same thing as you when I then go home and fly my Bandit and other makes of planes

Got to go now. I have to find a thread about slicks to go and write epic novels about the Bandit on
Easy search to find a slick thread. Just go look at the TOP of the 3d portion of rcg.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Nov 24, 2011, 02:40 PM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,452 Posts
Happy thanks giving everyone!!! BTW PA is offering a 20% discount for black friday!!!

I think my last video got lost in all this pages of conversation.... here it is for those that haven't seen it!, overall the Bandit is a really awesome airplane.

PA Bandit Xtreme Aerobatics flown by Daniel Dominguez (7 min 1 sec)
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 24, 2011, 03:23 PM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
Easy search to find a slick thread. Just go look at the TOP of the 3d portion of rcg.
42 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=994615
51 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857340
71 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1102219
89 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=959467
104 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1368467
42-126" Slickness http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=slickness

Easy Peasy. Choose your poison.

I'm sure you would be welcome to compare any plane to one of the Slicks in any of the threads. Many of the guys have planes from multiple manufactures. Nothing really wrong with doing that as it's in the 3D section and not in a manufacture support section of the site.
cayars is offline Find More Posts by cayars
Old Nov 24, 2011, 04:01 PM
Jerry McFlyer-Show Me The Lipo
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Dec 2010
49 Posts
Quote:
42 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=994615
51 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857340
71 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1102219
89 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=959467
104 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1368467
42-126" Slickness http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=slickness

Easy Peasy. Choose your poison.

I'm sure you would be welcome to compare any plane to one of the Slicks in any of the threads. Many of the guys have planes from multiple manufactures. Nothing really wrong with doing that as it's in the 3D section and not in a manufacture support section of the site.

Thanks for the links to slick threads. I was going to post a comment, but i couldn't because i was laughing so hard after seeing the photos on post
number 18498 on the most recent page of the 51" slick thread. I haven't seen such a pile of wood since the last time I played pick up sticks 30 years ago.

It must have been a heavier than usual landing. Maybe they should use some PA Carbon Fiberfusion in slicks from now on.
bring the thunda is offline Find More Posts by bring the thunda
Old Nov 24, 2011, 04:23 PM
TRETTLOCK
Göppingen
Joined May 2009
161 Posts
Not Enough Stickers??
PA what else is offline Find More Posts by PA what else
Old Nov 24, 2011, 05:00 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,345 Posts
Quote:
Since a lot of people need an EduCatsion, I think we all need to go back to Flight School 101!

http://vimeo.com/5090998
Whoa Whoa WHoa HANG ON A MINUTE!!!

Someone posted this video, and no one commented on it you just all kept ranting about wind, and weight and Bandits and Slicks yadda yadda. Are you all mad!!!
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Nov 24, 2011, 05:04 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Joined Nov 2006
7,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
the trichotomy of the 3d forums and all...
HEY!!! No big words in RC forums please.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2011, 05:54 PM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the links to slick threads. I was going to post a comment, but i couldn't because i was laughing so hard after seeing the photos on post
number 18498 on the most recent page of the 51" slick thread. I haven't seen such a pile of wood since the last time I played pick up sticks 30 years ago.
Oh that one wasn't too bad. You should have seen my 51" Slick a couple of years ago. I put it straight in on a downline on flight I think #3 when I lost the elevator servo. Nothing left of it until you got back behind the canopy. I mean literally nothing left of the first half of the plane. Just tiny little pieces. But because there is enough wood in the general plane construction, I was able to jig it and rebuild it as strong as ever. Used small amounts of resin to fix the canopy and cowl from all the jigsaw puzzle size pieces. Was more a test of rebuild skills then anything else I thought until I got it done and flew it again. It's now a couple of ounces heavier then stock but still flys exceptionally well years later.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 05:54 PM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kamikaze View Post
Whoa Whoa WHoa HANG ON A MINUTE!!!

Someone posted this video, and no one commented on it you just all kept ranting about wind, and weight and Bandits and Slicks yadda yadda. Are you all mad!!!
Yep all mad.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 07:07 PM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
Quote:
It must have been a heavier than usual landing. Maybe they should use some PA Carbon Fiberfusion in slicks from now on.
I don't get the whole "FiberFusion" thing. Sounds like more marketing to me then anything else. Carbon is used by many manufactures:

Take for example:

uploaded by Mingus The Red and

uploaded by GPT showing the FiberFusion of the Bandit. Besides the battery tray which appears to be more show then function it's just thin materials with some carbon applied for strength.

Nothing really new here. Other manufactures have been doing this also on bigger planes. Most smaller planes frankly just don't need it as common balsa/ply construction is very strong and can also be built light. Here's a picture of a Slick

by BoneDoc showing some use of carbon to add strength to the airframe. Here however, you'll notice it's still traditionally a ply construction for strength with carbon only used in key areas for additional strength.

Here's a couple of pictures from Extreme Flight planes by Doc Austin

Notice they too also use a more common balsa/ply construction but then use carbon rods for additional strength.

So there is nothing really new about the use of carbon except the way PA uses it. Others mostly stay with ply and balsa and use carbon to enhance key sections for strength while the PA planes are built lighter by sacrificing normal build method materials (use less balsa and ply) and then use more carbon to add back the strength. Not evolutionary, just different. Has more "bling" factor for some I'm sure, but not really any stronger, a probably not as strong as the traditional methods, lighter yes.

To me it can also be a negative. Take for example a crashed plane. If it's mostly a traditional build using balsa and ply construction it can usually be rebuilt with just some balsa, ply and glue. A lighter built, more carbon construction can lead to a much harder rebuild if even possible.

Of course if you never crash it's a mute point as they can both be very strong in the air. But from seeing numerous pilots crash PA, EF and 3DHS planes I can say with certainty the use of PA carbon does not help here. There just isn't enough overall physical strength and they crumble badly on impact. So while you poked fun of the slick in the picture it is fixable pretty easily as the post shows, while if the same thing happened to a PA airframe it would have most likely been "totaled" beyond repair. But like I said if you don't plan on crashing ever it's a mute point.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 07:37 PM
Joined Apr 2011
34 Posts
This color is sold as "Yellow", right??? (I'm talking about Mr. K's Orange Bandit)
Edged is offline Find More Posts by Edged
Old Nov 24, 2011, 08:12 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Joined Nov 2006
7,345 Posts
Yep that's correct.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2011, 08:35 PM
PA Team Pilot
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2008
1,354 Posts
Quote:
I don't get the whole "FiberFusion" thing. Sounds like more marketing to me then anything else. Carbon is used by many manufactures:

Take for example:

uploaded by Mingus The Red and

uploaded by GPT showing the FiberFusion of the Bandit. Besides the battery tray which appears to be more show then function it's just thin materials with some carbon applied for strength.

Nothing really new here. Other manufactures have been doing this also on bigger planes. Most smaller planes frankly just don't need it as common balsa/ply construction is very strong and can also be built light. Here's a picture of a Slick

by BoneDoc showing some use of carbon to add strength to the airframe. Here however, you'll notice it's still traditionally a ply construction for strength with carbon only used in key areas for additional strength.

Here's a couple of pictures from Extreme Flight planes by Doc Austin

Notice they too also use a more common balsa/ply construction but then use carbon rods for additional strength.

So there is nothing really new about the use of carbon except the way PA uses it. Others mostly stay with ply and balsa and use carbon to enhance key sections for strength while the PA planes are built lighter by sacrificing normal build method materials (use less balsa and ply) and then use more carbon to add back the strength. Not evolutionary, just different. Has more "bling" factor for some I'm sure, but not really any stronger, a probably not as strong as the traditional methods, lighter yes.

To me it can also be a negative. Take for example a crashed plane. If it's mostly a traditional build using balsa and ply construction it can usually be rebuilt with just some balsa, ply and glue. A lighter built, more carbon construction can lead to a much harder rebuild if even possible.

Of course if you never crash it's a mute point as they can both be very strong in the air. But from seeing numerous pilots crash PA, EF and 3DHS planes I can say with certainty the use of PA carbon does not help here. There just isn't enough overall physical strength and they crumble badly on impact. So while you poked fun of the slick in the picture it is fixable pretty easily as the post shows, while if the same thing happened to a PA airframe it would have most likely been "totaled" beyond repair. But like I said if you don't plan on crashing ever it's a mute point.

OK this is my last email with you on any of this stuff, but you are way off on the Fiber Fusion... It is an innovative technique, and makes the planes very strong and light of course. BUt the crash thing... you are way off... The fiiber fusion thing is a great asset in a crash. If the fuse breaks on a balsa and ply, it will never be straight again. BUt when there is a broken fuse or something, 99% of the time, the wood breaks, but the CF retains the straight line.You just ca the wood back to the CF and it goes back to straight like the CF is a guide. It is actually pretty cool. The entire plane is not all CF fusion, but where it is, it is great. Still, try not to crash.

JUst a word here. I don't spend a ton of time on the forums, and am sparatic... A busy guy generally, but I really wish everyone without a thread related agenda would just stay where you feel comfortable. I have never gone on a 3dhs thread and attacked their planes or anything. JUst not the spirit that should be on these forums... Just my 2 cents. Every comapny has great planes these days... All of them. I like all of them! Speaking your mind on the greatness of 3dhs is your option of course. Dissing another company is bad form.
mtwargo is offline Find More Posts by mtwargo
Old Nov 24, 2011, 09:22 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,429 Posts
Quote:

But notice how he was able to make it new again with a a $20 motor box kit. I've been thinking about a Bandit, does PA offer motor box kits?
G.P. is online now Find More Posts by G.P.