RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2011, 07:48 PM
President @ Acadian RC Club
Lafayette, Louisiana
Joined Dec 2005
1,233 Posts
Sweet plane. I'm starting the build on mine tomorrow. I hope to be done by Saturday morning. We have a fly in this weekend. I'm off the next two days
jonathan7x70 is offline Find More Posts by jonathan7x70
Old Nov 03, 2011, 11:04 PM
Jerry McFlyer-Show Me The Lipo
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Dec 2010
49 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm 99% done but I need your help.

I'm fitting the cowl and I notice that there seems to be a big difference in the gap between the cowl and spinner backplate when the cowl is fitted with the prescribed 4mm overlap over the hatch and fuse sides.

I know there is some angle built into the motor box for thrust compensation, but this seems excessive in my case

The front of the motor is definitely flat up against the back of the firewall and the 2 balsa triangular stocks are not affecting it, so I'm puzzled as to this big difference from left to right as you look at it from above (please see photos).

Any ideas or help would be great - thanks
bring the thunda is offline Find More Posts by bring the thunda
Old Nov 03, 2011, 11:20 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,481 Posts
That looks like a large motor you squeezed in there what did you use?
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snuggles Speaks
Old Nov 04, 2011, 12:24 AM
"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
USA, GA, Macon
Joined Oct 2008
882 Posts
That is exactly the way mine is. You are correct, it is because of the amount of right thrust built into the motor box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bring the thunda View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm 99% done but I need your help.

I'm fitting the cowl and I notice that there seems to be a big difference in the gap between the cowl and spinner backplate when the cowl is fitted with the prescribed 4mm overlap over the hatch and fuse sides.

I know there is some angle built into the motor box for thrust compensation, but this seems excessive in my case

The front of the motor is definitely flat up against the back of the firewall and the 2 balsa triangular stocks are not affecting it, so I'm puzzled as to this big difference from left to right as you look at it from above (please see photos).

Any ideas or help would be great - thanks
Evel Knievel is offline Find More Posts by Evel Knievel
Old Nov 04, 2011, 01:19 AM
Joined Dec 2010
49 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Dr Evil :-))
I happened to have a Hyperion motor with almost identical specs to the thrust 40, so I took it off another 1200g plane of mine and popped it in here. The only difference is the overall length is an extra 3mm. However, I was using an APC 13 x 6.5 with it and getting 57 amps on 3s 2200 30C, so I did some testing with the VOX 14 x 7 and am getting 61 amps. So I think I'll order a VOX 13 x 5 because I really like the wooden props. I need to get down to low 50's for amp draw so I don't tax the speedy too much.
Old Nov 04, 2011, 07:38 AM
Byron C
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2011
726 Posts
Quote:
I happened to have a Hyperion motor with almost identical specs to the thrust 40, so I took it off another 1200g plane of mine and popped it in here. The only difference is the overall length is an extra 3mm. However, I was using an APC 13 x 6.5 with it and getting 57 amps on 3s 2200 30C, so I did some testing with the VOX 14 x 7 and am getting 61 amps. So I think I'll order a VOX 13 x 5 because I really like the wooden props. I need to get down to low 50's for amp draw so I don't tax the speedy too much.
Was that 57 amps with APC 13x6.5 measured during a static test? If so you might get by using a Vox 13x6.5 as those pull less amps than the equivalent size in APC due to higher efficiency of Vox props. And of course there will be less current draw under actual flying conditions too, and you'll rarely ever need to run WOT.

The Vox 13x5 is a great prop for the Thrust 30 (905kV) on the Extra 260. But your Hyp. motor may end up being seriously "under propped" with it.
-Byron
3DeltaFly is offline Find More Posts by 3DeltaFly
Old Nov 04, 2011, 08:01 AM
Joined Dec 2010
49 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Byron.

I may throw the watt meter in the Bandit when I fly it to get some in flight amp readings at WOT. I was thinking that the VOX 13 x 6.5 may get me down to about 50 amps due to its efficiency compared to the same spec APC prop. You've confirmed it for me that this will be the prop to go with.

Longer flight times, here I come. Woohoo!!! :-)
Old Nov 05, 2011, 03:15 AM
Precision Aerobatics Team
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Dec 2006
2,018 Posts
Looking forward to flying my Bandit this weekend.... i'm going to try 12x6 and 4S
demonGti is offline Find More Posts by demonGti
Old Nov 06, 2011, 01:33 AM
Byron C
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2011
726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonGti View Post
Looking forward to flying my Bandit this weekend.... i'm going to try 12x6 and 4S
On 4S it will be a real "speed demon"
3DeltaFly is offline Find More Posts by 3DeltaFly
Old Nov 06, 2011, 11:24 PM
"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
USA, GA, Macon
Joined Oct 2008
882 Posts
Quote:
I like the sound of that...
Old Nov 07, 2011, 12:59 AM
Joined Dec 2010
49 Posts
Hi guys,

all done and ready for the maiden tomorrow if the weather is good
Old Nov 07, 2011, 01:04 AM
"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
USA, GA, Macon
Joined Oct 2008
882 Posts
Very nice! The blue is looking really good. Good luck with the maiden! Your going to love this plane.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 12:17 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Jun 2004
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwargo View Post
HEy Guys... HEre's my new Bandit video!

http://vimeo.com/31276105

Good flying Michael.

Looks interesting with the cows at the background, almost like a simulator

One small comment for next video. Try to catch some of the ground when shooting the precision parts because the ground is extremely important as a reference line to the speed and accuracy of the execution of the maneuvers. Without the ground the orientation is not good and it is hard to see the variation in altitude which is a very important factor during precision aerobatics. A bit of zoom out will make a big difference.

Nice slo mo…

Shaun
Precision Aerobatics Team
Precision Aerob is online now Find More Posts by Precision Aerob
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 08, 2011, 12:32 AM
Moscow
Joined Jun 2008
46 Posts
Foto from maiden in Russia:

Surf_RUS is offline Find More Posts by Surf_RUS