HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:41 PM
United States, MD, Rockville
Joined Feb 2010
98 Posts
are any of you calibrating the quantum esc per the manual. it talkes about adjusting the digital throttle trim down and then up till when the esc arms..

its working great without me calibrating anything at all so just curious
aquaanox is offline Find More Posts by aquaanox
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:54 PM
USA, CA, Healdsburg
Joined Dec 2007
205 Posts
Bandit Finally Flying Well

I pulled off the Voltec servos and replaced them with HS-5065MG's all around. This is like completely different plane. It flies exceptionally well and has NO PITCH SENSITIVITY whatsoever. I spent some time looking at the elevator operation before pulling off the Voltecs and they were not centering well, given that it takes very little elevator input, it now makes sense to me that the servos were the problem.

I also didn't like the BEC output of the ESC since it's not quite 6V. Replaced it with a Castle BEC and set the output to 6.2V. Tucked the BEC up on the motor box since I had my battery shoved all the way forward anyway I figured it wouldn't hurt much.

I've played with the CG and I like it at about 101mm, but the more I fly the plane the more I started pushing it towards the tail... It harriers well, hovers better than my ability to hover it, and KE's exceptionally well. Very, very nice.

I put the 12x6 VOX on it tonight and charged up some 4S batteries. Going to try it in the AM. I think the extra weight of the 4S battery will help this plane. I think the PA guys got the nose too light, and with the Thrust motor up there (very light), it could use a tiny bit more weight. I'm really looking forward to trying this.

Again, if you've addressed the CG and still can't get rid of the pitch sensitivity, try replacing the elevator servo with a HS-5065MG (or all your servo for that matter), they're only $32 apiece anyway. This could become my favorite under 50" plane... Thanks, Paul
gtoguy is offline Find More Posts by gtoguy
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:23 AM
if pigs could fly!
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Feb 2013
1,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaanox View Post
its working great without me calibrating anything at all so just curious
The same. Never calibrated any ESC for that matter, just found they work perfectly well out of the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoguy View Post
Again, if you've addressed the CG and still can't get rid of the pitch sensitivity, try replacing the elevator servo with a HS-5065MG (or all your servo for that matter), they're only $32 apiece anyway. This could become my favorite under 50" plane... Thanks, Paul
Perfectly satisfied with my HS-65MG myself, centering is perfect. Though more than one people here have reported bad luck with the 5065MG giving up in flight (I chose the non digital version because of that). Maybe there was a bad batch lying around but better safe than sorry.
RyoOhki1701 is online now Find More Posts by RyoOhki1701
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:57 AM
USA, CA, Healdsburg
Joined Dec 2007
205 Posts
I've used a dozen HS-65MGs without a failure. My first use of the 5065MGs but have used other large digitals on my larger planes with good success. Time will tell...
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:34 PM
United States, GA, Pooler
Joined Nov 2008
324 Posts
Changing out my Voltecs for the 65MGs as well. The Voltecs have a great price-point and torque-to-weight ratio, but the performance and reliability just isn't there. One fried on me when running it on my servo tester. Another stripped out when I accidentally banged my tail against a wall (it was dark in the house lol).
pilot_keeter is offline Find More Posts by pilot_keeter
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:50 PM
USA, CA, Healdsburg
Joined Dec 2007
205 Posts
Too windy today to try out the 4S setup. Will try again soon.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:21 PM
if pigs could fly!
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Feb 2013
1,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot_keeter View Post
Changing out my Voltecs for the 65MGs as well. The Voltecs have a great price-point and torque-to-weight ratio, but the performance and reliability just isn't there. One fried on me when running it on my servo tester. Another stripped out when I accidentally banged my tail against a wall (it was dark in the house lol).
oh dear yes, I can't work on or carry the Bandit around without deflecting the control surfaces by accident. Lucky the 65MG doesn't mind.
RyoOhki1701 is online now Find More Posts by RyoOhki1701
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:50 PM
United States, MN, Waconia
Joined Mar 2011
193 Posts
I have been through two sets of those awesome Voltecs... They twitch and don't center, exactly as many people have reported. My Bandit will be getting a set of Hitechs before the first spring flight this year. I am betting it will fly like a totally different plane.
kanans is offline Find More Posts by kanans
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:51 PM
United States, MN, Waconia
Joined Mar 2011
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyoOhki1701 View Post
kanans, I'm happy to report you were absolutely right. Very sweet bird, snappy, flying on rails, and extremely well mannered. Four flights and she made it home in one piece.

One thing though, I'm thinking of replacing the metal gear screws with nylon, and maybe switch to more squishy wheels as well (I can live with a few more grams). No matter of softly I land her, I feel the assembly is far too rigid and doesn't absorb the impact so well.

Good to hear it was a success for you.
kanans is offline Find More Posts by kanans
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:50 PM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
Hey Dan
Where's that promised vid
We wanna see some lunatic Bandit on 4s craze
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:47 AM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,609 Posts
Sadly my red bandit passed away to a better life But hoping to get a new one to do a new video soon!!!!!
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:27 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,446 Posts
Oh no! What can you do, 5hit happens...
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:05 PM
Team Hitec
United States, IN, Winamac
Joined Jan 2006
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerofundan View Post
Sadly my red bandit passed away to a better life But hoping to get a new one to do a new video soon!!!!!
Elevator pushrods are sort of mandatory.

Sorry Daniel, couldn't resist. LOL

Jim
Precision Aerobatics USA Support
zemkes_wolfpack is offline Find More Posts by zemkes_wolfpack
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:19 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,446 Posts
??? Whattttt???
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member