HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:28 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,686 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm not very experienced, but a couple of my other 3D planes in the same size range manage to complete the 180 degree yaw without a kick from the motor.

I'll practice applying a bit of power to complete the maneuver.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:29 PM
Byron C
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2011
724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Thanks guys. I'm not very experienced, but a couple of my other 3D planes in the same size range manage to complete the 180 degree yaw without a kick from the motor.

I'll practice applying a bit of power to complete the maneuver.
During calm weather this works for me. From a vertical up-line I pull the throttle back to about 1/4, watch the Bandit closely and get on the rudder just prior to the stall. If it's a breezy day, then I'll use a little extra throttle to get over the top.

Where's your CG? If flying to tail heavy it will require more throttle to "power through" the top of hammerheads than what would otherwise be needed with a more forward CG setting.
3DeltaFly is online now Find More Posts by 3DeltaFly
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:45 AM
USA, CA, Healdsburg
Joined Dec 2007
203 Posts
It's done!

Finished the Bandit (finally) today. Tried to go flying this morning but the wind was pretty hard and the winery that our club is on was burning vine trimmings and it was blowing straight into the flight line... so I decided to come home and knock this guy out. I'm starting with the recommended windy day CG of 101mm. It should be an OK starting point. Hopefully the wind will be down tomorrow and the darn smoke isn't as thick. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out with the exception of the cowl gap, but its OK. Hopefully, I'll let you guys know how it flies.
Paul
gtoguy is offline Find More Posts by gtoguy
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:41 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DeltaFly View Post
During calm weather this works for me. From a vertical up-line I pull the throttle back to about 1/4, watch the Bandit closely and get on the rudder just prior to the stall. If it's a breezy day, then I'll use a little extra throttle to get over the top.

Where's your CG? If flying to tail heavy it will require more throttle to "power through" the top of hammerheads than what would otherwise be needed with a more forward CG setting.
I always seem to end up at least a little tail heavy. For starters, I dislike having to shove the battery into the motor box to achieve design CG, but then I also prefer the handling characteristics when the CG is aft.

Yesterday, I tried kicking the nose over with a bit of throttle, and it seems to work. Thanks all.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:27 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,382 Posts
Sweet glad you got it happening. I checked the IMAC rules for hammerheads and the plane is supposed to pivot around it's cg or at most the wing tip. If it rotates any wider than that you start losing points.

I just fixed mine up after tx problem caused a crash. It's set up now with Vox 12x6 for 4s. Hopefully try it tomorrow.
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:00 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,382 Posts
Well I only got one battery before it rained but I think the Bandit may be even easier to harrier on 4s
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:02 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
GTOGUY nice looking Bandit.Love the glass of scotch on the table
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:22 AM
USA, CA, Healdsburg
Joined Dec 2007
203 Posts
Tried to maiden Sat and Sun, but the wind was blowing pretty hard and the winery where we fly was still smokey so next weekend...
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:33 AM
Retreating Blade Stall
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2011
3,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoguy View Post
Tried to maiden Sat and Sun, but the wind was blowing pretty hard and the winery where we fly was still smokey so next weekend...
Do you fly at Wine Country Fliers? I saw your location is Healdsburg, CA - my parents live there and I've visited (Healdsburg, not the club) a few times. I've been to Trentadue winery and Coppola winery across the street - I thought I could sort of see the field between the vines from the road but it wasn't obvious.
Arcturus97 is online now Find More Posts by Arcturus97
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:25 AM
USA, CA, Healdsburg
Joined Dec 2007
203 Posts
Yep, that's us. Great group of guys that fly there and a beautiful flying spot. Lots of thanks go to Vic Trentadue and the winery for the site (their wines are fantastic too). If you make it back out to Healdsburg again, you'll have to stop by. You can PM me to see when folks are most likely to be flying there.

Paul
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:36 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Nov 2012
18 Posts
Hey,
I got really lucky on my tail assembly. The push rod was a little long to start with so it worked out great. Even the throws aren't limited. Now I'm on to my motor box. Any tips? And by the way, thanks a lot for the help last time.
Evant28 is offline Find More Posts by Evant28
Last edited by Evant28; Jan 30, 2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:26 PM
United States, GA, Pooler
Joined Nov 2008
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evant28 View Post
Hey,
I got really lucky on my tail assembly. The push rod was a little long to start with so it worked out great. Even the throws aren't limited. Now i'm on to my motor box. Any tips? And by the way, thanks a lot for the help last time.
With your motor box just take your time. Make sure everything fits and sand any places that restrict a good fit. Once you get everything in place use 30 min epoxy to glue it in place. Follow the manual close here.

They want you to sand the left side corners for cowl fitting. I ended up sanding all 4 of my corners and had almost no problems when fitting the cowl.
pilot_keeter is offline Find More Posts by pilot_keeter
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:02 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,265 Posts
I would also suggest thinning some epoxy with Acetone, or Denatured Alcohol and then give the Motor box a light coating making sure you work it into the joints.
luke352 is offline Find More Posts by luke352
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:19 PM
ward cleaver's boy...
waco,texas
Joined May 2008
665 Posts
+1.... You could also use wood glue to do this. Just paint the whole motor-box with it. Makes them real sturdy.
the beave is offline Find More Posts by the beave
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:40 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Nov 2012
18 Posts
Thanks a lot guys.
Evant28 is offline Find More Posts by Evant28