Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:01 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Nov 2012
18 Posts
Thanks for trying, maybe someone else can find a way. I've been flying for a while but I never used the forums until this year. I get almost full throw on the rudder but will the position of the elevator cause problems?
Evant28 is offline Find More Posts by Evant28
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:45 PM
United States, GA, Pooler
Joined Nov 2008
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evant28 View Post
Thanks for trying, maybe someone else can find a way. I've been flying for a while but I never used the forums until this year. I get almost full throw on the rudder but will the position of the elevator cause problems?
Looking at it I don't think there will be much of an issue. Especially if you can get almost full throws. I would just make sure that there are no places for control hang-up or binding. If everything can move freely then you should be fine. If you have any spare red covering just throw a piece on that front hole.
pilot_keeter is online now Find More Posts by pilot_keeter
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:51 PM
Joined Nov 2008
307 Posts
First 4s Experience

Got my first couple of flight on 4s today and WOW. I didn't even go full throttle but a few times and it was nothing short of unlimited power. And the 2450s gave me almost 8 minutes based on my power management. Wind was higher than I would have liked, 9-14 mph with some gusting. But the Bandit handled it very well. Not great weather for 3D practice that's for sure. My fiance snapped a few shots for me
Last edited by pilot_keeter; Jan 21, 2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:14 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Nov 2012
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot_keeter View Post
Looking at it I don't think there will be much of an issue. Especially if you can get almost full throws. I would just make sure that there are no places for control hang-up or binding. If everything can move freely then you should be fine. If you have any spare red covering just throw a piece on that front hole.
Ok thanks a bunch, oh by the way does anyone know of a place to get cheaper replacement parts for the bandit?
Evant28 is offline Find More Posts by Evant28
Last edited by Evant28; Jan 21, 2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:41 AM
USA, CA, Healdsburg
Joined Dec 2007
203 Posts
Slow Build...

I really want to love this plane but it's wearing on me... please forgive my rant:

I've had my Bandit since early December, and I've been plugging away at it. I'm working 60 plus hrs a week so I just don't have a lot of time on this one. However, I'd have to say it's one of the slowest building ARFs that I've done (I'm up to about 10 now). I'm done with the wings, and working on the tail section of the fuse. None of the hinge slots lined up and I had to re-slot the rudder and 1/2 the elevator. While the tail was setting up, I decided to put on the vortex generators (this took several hours). I'm meticulous, and very careful to build as precise as possible so I'm probably my own worst enemy here... I've had limited time on this one but I know I could have finished one of my 3DHS, PilotRC, or any of my E-Flite planes in much less time.

My suggestions for a quicker build:
  • Create a tight joint at the horizontal stab so you can CA it (this may require a 2-piece elevator).
  • Pre-attach the motor box (who does this anymore?)
  • Adjust the size of the motor box so it doesn't interfere with the cowl
  • Ditch the covering in the ele and rudder hinges by recessing them using pockets
  • Use screw-in control rods instead of CF that has to be trimmed and epoxied
  • Ditch the covering on the landing gear and make a single piece of pre-covered balsa that can be glued over the gear yet has holes to remove the gear
  • I don't know what can be done regarding the vortex generators, it takes a long time to do them right...

OK, I feel better now, back to building. I really want to like this plane but the distraction of a protracted build has been dishartening. Maybe in a couple of months I'll have it up and running and my view of it will change.

Thanks guys, I just needed to vent a bit on the difficulty of a seemingly "simple" build... Thanks, Paul
gtoguy is offline Find More Posts by gtoguy
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:26 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,157 Posts
You have some fair points, but I do not totally agree.

For instance, I appreciated installing the motor box myself so that I could use my preferred adhesive on this joint (wood glue). Also, it let me see how they are assembled in the event I have to replace one down the road.

I have also taken to liking their pushrod methods and have used the same methods on several ships.

Regarding time you spent on the VG's and slotting hinges, that really can save a ton of time for the builder if done properly the first time (with laser) at the factory. None of my hinges lined up either on my X and not one of the VG slots was cut all the way through. I spent a good amount of time on those two issues.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:39 AM
USA, CA, Healdsburg
Joined Dec 2007
203 Posts
Yeah, I read through most of the posts and knew what I was getting into buying this plane... I suppose you're right on the motor box, I've seen them come apart on some "name brand" models after some abuse.

Fortunately I have a GP slot machine with a guide so it's pretty easy to cut new slots - just have to make sure and glue up the old ones.

I'm just ranting a bit, I'll be back out there next weekend plugging away at it... Paul
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:41 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,157 Posts
You have read it before, but once you fly, your few issues with the build will fade away.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:44 AM
USA, CA, Healdsburg
Joined Dec 2007
203 Posts
Yep, that's what I'm hoping for.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:56 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,251 Posts
Paul
It took me not even to 2 hours to do VG's on my addy,and I didn't find it tedious to do.yes,be accurate and double check angles ect,but it wasn't an effort for me at all
I like the idea of the pocket hinges for the tails.
Your idea regarding the balsa block for the LG will become a problem when having to replace a LG.I'd mucg rather remove some covering,than try butcher a piece of glued in Balsa and risk damaging the fuse by trying to remove a balsa block.
But I'm sure you'll love it once you have it flying
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:09 AM
Precision Aerobatics Team
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Dec 2006
1,957 Posts
Although pocket hinges might look cool and be less hassle to get the plane in the air, I don't think it's a practical idea for a 3D ship.
It's for one going to push the price up a lot, and secondly you won't achieve enough throw on the tail feathers. The PA way works just fine!
demonGti is offline Find More Posts by demonGti
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: PA Addiction XL
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:28 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonGti View Post
Although pocket hinges might look cool and be less hassle to get the plane in the air, I don't think it's a practical idea for a 3D ship.
It's for one going to push the price up a lot, and secondly you won't achieve enough throw on the tail feathers. The PA way works just fine!
And 3rdly it adds weight at the tail. Which has to be countered up front. After numerous PA builds I'm down to about 8-10 hours per build now. But I'm totes ok with that because I know what I'm going to be getting at the end... Lots of these
Mr Kamikaze is online now Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:20 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr kamikaze View Post
and 3rdly it adds weight at the tail. Which has to be countered up front. After numerous pa builds i'm down to about 8-10 hours per build now. But i'm totes ok with that because i know what i'm going to be getting at the end... Lots of these :d:d:d
+1000:d
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:03 AM
Joined Nov 2008
307 Posts
Paul,

If you take a trip back through the pages you'll see all of the trials I went through when building this plane. There were a few times that I got so frustrated I just wanted to give up. But ever since I got it in the air, it's been awesome. I haven't flown it enough to truly get a 3D feel, but I'm on my way to that point. And from the first lift off (especially on 4S) those build troubles seem to go away.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:25 AM
Team Hitec, Team PA
United States, IN, Winamac
Joined Jan 2006
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evant28 View Post
Evan,

I recommend finishing the build and flying it as-is. The small amount you are off should not affect the flying that much. If anything you have slightly increased the tail moment.
One issue you may have is that the pushrod won't be long enough to hookup the elevator. Let us know if you have any issues in this area.

Best Wishes,

Jim
Precision Aerobatics USA Support
zemkes_wolfpack is offline Find More Posts by zemkes_wolfpack