HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:11 AM
Precision Aerobatics Team
demonGti's Avatar
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Dec 2006
2,018 Posts
That's good to hear!
demonGti is offline Find More Posts by demonGti
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:58 AM
Registered User
aerofundan's Avatar
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
Dan
Where's that promised vid of your new red Bandit
LOL, weather here has been really bad, but it is finally starting to get better! In fact tomorrow going to maiden it, and if all goes well we will have video very soon
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:42 PM
BWX
Registered User
BWX's Avatar
Holland
Joined Jun 2007
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbeacham68 View Post
The build has been super easy; everything has fitted perfectly and been warp free.

Build on another day than Monday (morning)!!.....
BWX is offline Find More Posts by BWX
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:08 AM
how'd I do that....oh
chop stiX's Avatar
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerofundan View Post
LOL, weather here has been really bad, but it is finally starting to get better! In fact tomorrow going to maiden it, and if all goes well we will have video very soon
Awsome.Well we will be waiting
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:16 AM
Registered User
aerofundan's Avatar
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,537 Posts
Well guys i finally got a chance to maiden my red bandit, and wow!!!! what an amazing plane! i really had forgotten how much i love the bandit!!!!
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:33 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, Cullompton
Joined Apr 2011
75 Posts
Did you maiden it on 4s? Looks like a small prop. I think I'll go for 4s as I want the Bandit to be faster than my KMX. Just two servos to install and my new red one will be ready too.
mrbeacham68 is offline Find More Posts by mrbeacham68
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:03 AM
Registered User
aerofundan's Avatar
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbeacham68 View Post
Did you maiden it on 4s? Looks like a small prop. I think I'll go for 4s as I want the Bandit to be faster than my KMX. Just two servos to install and my new red one will be ready too.
Yup! 4s 2200. I flew the blue bandit a ton with 3s 2200 and in fact i even made a video of it with 3S. But i definately enjoy it more with 4S as it fits my flying style better! Using Vox 12x6 prop with PA 4s 2200 packs!
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:58 PM
Registered User
pilot_keeter's Avatar
United States, GA, Pooler
Joined Nov 2008
313 Posts
At last, what an Airplane!

Hey guys,

Finally got a calm clear day to maiden that Bandit. I still need to work on the CG and trimming it little, but overall it is one amazing bird. Here are some pictures at the field and I'll put a link to the maiden video. Because my (Windows) phone is irritating, I've only been able to upload the video to Facebook. It's open for anyone to view though.

Video: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=...type=2&theater
pilot_keeter is offline Find More Posts by pilot_keeter
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:21 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Mr Kamikaze's Avatar
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,392 Posts
I get a message that I can't view that video.

BTW that pic of you with the plane is excellent.
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:39 PM
Registered User
scirocco's Avatar
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot_keeter View Post
Hey guys,

Finally got a calm clear day to maiden that Bandit. I still need to work on the CG and trimming it little, but overall it is one amazing bird. Here are some pictures at the field and I'll put a link to the maiden video. Because my (Windows) phone is irritating, I've only been able to upload the video to Facebook. It's open for anyone to view though.

Video: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=...type=2&theater
that's fantastic! Flew mine yesterday as well, but our problem is flying before it gets too hot: 97F yesterday, 102 today. Mine is also blue, and I really like the colour scheme, plenty of contrast for orientation. And I have an 8FG as well, but the Bandit will probably stay on the Dx7 - it it aint' broke...

Really good to hear after all your trials that she flys well. I'm getting to the point with mine that I'm now seriously considering selling the 3DHS Vyper that I flew while waiting to build the Bandit. I think the Vyper knife edges better, but general flying and overall presence the Bandit does it better for me.
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:42 PM
Registered User
pilot_keeter's Avatar
United States, GA, Pooler
Joined Nov 2008
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kamikaze View Post
I get a message that I can't view that video.

BTW that pic of you with the plane is excellent.
Sorry about that and Thank you!
pilot_keeter is offline Find More Posts by pilot_keeter
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2013, 03:41 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, Cullompton
Joined Apr 2011
75 Posts
Maidened the red Bandit today. Had 4 flights, playing with CG and getting the feel of it on low rates, but WOW! I already have a 48" machine from a certain well known US competitor to PA and although everyone says that it is a brilliant model, I never quite 'bonded' with it. The Bandit, however, just instantly felt right; so precise and smooth. On 4s it goes up like a missile!

Not a single click of trim was needed and there is just the very very slightest roll coupling to upright in KE flight. Does CG position affect roll coupling in KE or should I just mix it out?
mrbeacham68 is offline Find More Posts by mrbeacham68
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:33 PM
Registered User
pilot_keeter's Avatar
United States, GA, Pooler
Joined Nov 2008
313 Posts
Servo Mount Problem

Went to my local field today for some more Bandit time and found an issue. One that I'm glad I noticed on my controls check otherwise it could have been a pretty nasty fight, as I was just about to let er' rip.

At first it appeared as though my rudder servo was not holding center. Upon closer inspection, my servo was actually pulling away from the plastic piece (underneath it) and the screw. It's as if the washer head on the screw is just barely not enough to hold the servo down. Looking closely at my elevator servo revealed almost the same problem. I found the same issue when building my KMD a while back - elevator servo wanting to leave the fuselage. In that case I just glued the square under piece to the actual servo and re-installed it with no more issues.

Here are the options I'm thinking:

1. Do the same as the KMD and glue the square plastic piece to the bottom of the servo and re-install.

2. Use a longer (hex-head) mounting screw with an actual washer for the servos.

3. Both: glue the under piece to the servo and use the hex screws.

Voltec mounting screw = 11.6 mm x 2 mm x 4.9 mm (washer width)
Hex mounting screws = 14.8 mm x 2.1 mm x 5.6 mm (washer width)

I wanted some opinions before doing something and it being permanent.

Thanks!

Edit: New option.

4. Just found a set of 8 of these little guys. I could replace the plastic pieces with these and use one of the above screws... choices.
pilot_keeter is offline Find More Posts by pilot_keeter
Last edited by pilot_keeter; Jan 06, 2013 at 05:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:27 PM
Registered User
scirocco's Avatar
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot_keeter View Post
Went to my local field today for some more Bandit time and found an issue. One that I'm glad I noticed on my controls check otherwise it could have been a pretty nasty fight, as I was just about to let er' rip.

At first it appeared as though my rudder servo was not holding center. Upon closer inspection, my servo was actually pulling away from the plastic piece (underneath it) and the screw. It's as if the washer head on the screw is just barely not enough to hold the servo down. Looking closely at my elevator servo revealed almost the same problem. I found the same issue when building my KMD a while back - elevator servo wanting to leave the fuselage. In that case I just glued the square under piece to the actual servo and re-installed it with no more issues.

Here are the options I'm thinking:

1. Do the same as the KMD and glue the square plastic piece to the bottom of the servo and re-install.

2. Use a longer (hex-head) mounting screw with an actual washer for the servos.

3. Both: glue the under piece to the servo and use the hex screws.

Voltec mounting screw = 11.6 mm x 2 mm x 4.9 mm (washer width)
Hex mounting screws = 14.8 mm x 2.1 mm x 5.6 mm (washer width)

I wanted some opinions before doing something and it being permanent.

Thanks!
At least you did your preflight properly!

I'm normally very paranoid about control checks, somehow forgot yesterday, and of course the only time you forget is when you've screwed up.

Bandits do not fly well or for long with the aileron servo leads not plugged in to the rx

the forward half of the fuse is extensively shattered is probably the best word, almost crumbled into small pieces in places - but it did go in rather hard nose first and the damage is comparable to a 3DHS Extra I put in over ayear ago. Wings are untouched. Replacement parts don't make economic sense compared to a new kit, so sadly I think my Bandit adventure is over. I could buy another and have spare wings and gear and canopy, but I'm gonna think long and hard about that first and def not before the next big sale.
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:36 PM
Registered User
pilot_keeter's Avatar
United States, GA, Pooler
Joined Nov 2008
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
At least you did your preflight properly!

I'm normally very paranoid about control checks, somehow forgot yesterday, and of course the only time you forget is when you've screwed up.

Bandits do not fly well or for long with the aileron servo leads not plugged in to the rx

the forward half of the fuse is extensively shattered is probably the best word, almost crumbled into small pieces in places - but it did go in rather hard nose first and the damage is comparable to a 3DHS Extra I put in over ayear ago. Wings are untouched. Replacement parts don't make economic sense compared to a new kit, so sadly I think my Bandit adventure is over. I could buy another and have spare wings and gear and canopy, but I'm gonna think long and hard about that first and def not before the next big sale.

Damn! I hate to hear that man, that's really disappointing.
pilot_keeter is offline Find More Posts by pilot_keeter
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Precision Aerobatics Addiction X Official thread / Video just posted!!! aerofundan 3D Flying 4884 Oct 19, 2014 10:35 PM
Discussion Anyone else wish Precision Aerobatics would make a larger electric 3D monoplane! Neil_SC 3D Flying 19 Sep 24, 2014 11:14 AM
Wanted Precision Aerobatics Katana MD or Precision Aerobatics Mini Katana mixer911 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 5 Jul 16, 2009 12:52 PM
Found 3d hobbyshop/precision aerobatics/greatplanes**3d yak/suk/katana/edge/extra helifryer Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 10 May 20, 2009 09:13 PM
Discussion Precision Aerobatics How To Series, 3D Aerobatics & Repair Guide aerofundan 3D Flying 22 Jan 03, 2009 09:52 AM