HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:03 AM
USA, CA, Healdsburg
Joined Dec 2007
203 Posts
New Build

Going to give the Bandit a try. Just starting a build with all of the stock PA power system (Thrust 40 and Quantum 45) and Voltec servos. Seems a tad more complicated than other ARFs I've built but not too bad (I've done some kit and scratch builds with balsa and foam so I guess it's all relative). Did a dry fit and looks like everything is very straight and aligns well. No warped surfaces and the covering is nice and tight. Looks like all the parts are there too. My only concern is the Voltec VTS-70MG servos (mainly concerns from reviews), but I have some HS-65MGs I can borrow from another plane if they don't work out. I've run them in for about 15 minutes on my servo tester and they seem quiet and quick at 6V.

I've got a super busy December so I'll just plug away at it a little at a time, but might ping you guys if I get stumped. I like sport flying and I'm learning 3D, so this might just be the ticket for some fun.

Nice thread, lots of good tips, thanks all for your contributions.

Thanks, Paul.
gtoguy is offline Find More Posts by gtoguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:12 AM
United States, GA, Pooler
Joined Nov 2008
307 Posts
Does anyone have any spare covering for their BLUE bandit they don't need? I ruined the covering strip when trying to cover the LG bay. Asked PA if they'd send me a small strip with my next order instead of paying $15 for a role, but no luck there... I'd send $ paypal for shipping.
pilot_keeter is offline Find More Posts by pilot_keeter
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:55 AM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot_keeter View Post
Does anyone have any spare covering for their BLUE bandit they don't need? I ruined the covering strip when trying to cover the LG bay. Asked PA if they'd send me a small strip with my next order instead of paying $15 for a role, but no luck there... I'd send $ paypal for shipping.
JUst an idea, on mine i don't cover the LG bay, because i like being able to check easily the bolts.....
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:38 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerofundan View Post
JUst an idea, on mine i don't cover the LG bay, because i like being able to check easily the bolts.....
I do not cover that on my planes either... Important to check the bolts, but also it makes LG swaps easier and quicker- I have been known to bust a gear or two

Quote:
Thanks for the helpful suggestions! I may try and sand it down some more tonight, but I've got plans to meet with Chris S. tomorrow and see if we can work things out. He has far more experience than I do and I can't go wrong with a PA team pilot.
I am so glad to hear Chris is going to set you up. I am confident that after yall catch up and go over the build, you will have all the info you need to complete this plane in a timely manner.

Scirocco~ great advice! As you said, dont just file on the top or just the bottom. Sand both sides. (i.e. top right, and bottom left)
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:13 PM
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Jan 2008
195 Posts
PA Battery bag

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of cleaning out my shop and found this Padded Lipo carry bag from PA. I bought it a year and a half ago with a PA Bandit. The bag was used for about 6 months until I sold the Bandit. I don't have anything that uses smaller batteries anymore so I figure I should let this go.

$15 shipped conus.

PM or email blackdragon0306@gmail.com
jredingt is offline Find More Posts by jredingt
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:34 PM
Joined Nov 2008
307 Posts
Met with Chris today (super nice and helpful guy BTW) and we went over what I have done so far with the Bandit and what might be going wrong with my tail. From the look-over we determined that the problem is actually the horizontal stab itself rather than the slot. Other than a slight pull from taping while gluing there's not much that can be done to fix it. Got some reassurance on my push-rod strength and everything looked good to him so far, I'm satisfied. I think I'm being a little too critical of my building and the plane, but I know it'll work out in the end.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:37 AM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,449 Posts
Quote:
Met with Chris today (super nice and helpful guy BTW) and we went over what I have done so far with the Bandit and what might be going wrong with my tail. From the look-over we determined that the problem is actually the horizontal stab itself rather than the slot. Other than a slight pull from taping while gluing there's not much that can be done to fix it. Got some reassurance on my push-rod strength and everything looked good to him so far, I'm satisfied. I think I'm being a little too critical of my building and the plane, but I know it'll work out in the end.
Great to hear that!, Chris Scoggins is for sure one of the nicest guys you will ever meet!!! Very happy to hear that you got help from him. I'm sure as soon as you fly the plane you will be very happy
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:36 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,157 Posts
+1, no matter your experience as a builder it is always so helpful to be able to get some guidance from someone who has built it before. Very glad it all worked out, and I am looking forward to seeing her all put together
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:00 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Dec 2006
101 Posts
Hey everyone, I just got the Bandit the other day...... the red one got it all together and it all went together very well, The only issue in the build was the white strips to cover the hinge gap on the elevator was antique white and didn't match the plane at all, and not enough black, but I had some scraps on hand that matched and all is good there.

I'm running the 4 cell set up with the Torque 2814T/820

flying it is amazing. however one thing I've noticed is that on mine, when i give it a lot of up elevator it wants to snap / roll out to the right.

my hi rate throws are set.... 45 deg on the Ailerons, 50 deg on Rudder 50 on Ele.

is that just how the Bandit is or is it just my plane???

my other (3D) planes don't do that all, them being (2) PA Katana MD's, Sebart Katana 30, Funtana even my "el cheapos" the TechOne SU-31 & Yak-54. ...... so I was a bit surprised to see this Bandit do it.

is anyone else experiencing that issue with this Bandit?
flybri is offline Find More Posts by flybri
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:28 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,230 Posts
Quote:
From the look-over we determined that the problem is actually the horizontal stab itself rather than the slot. Other than a slight pull from taping while gluing there's not much that can be done to fix it.
So in other words your telling us that PA's QA slipped again and you've ended up with a dodgy stab.

There is lots that can be done, for starters PA could send you a new stab!
luke352 is online now Find More Posts by luke352
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:38 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybri View Post
The only issue in the build was the white strips to cover the hinge gap on the elevator was antique white and didn't match the plane at all, and not enough black, but I had some scraps on hand that matched and all is good there.

however one thing I've noticed is that on mine, when i give it a lot of up elevator it wants to snap / roll out to the right.

The covering thing is a pretty standard complaint, mine didn't match either. Your lucky it was just the white that didn't match, my green was completely different as well. As for the black lots of guys just use the white and use a texta to make the black spots.

Mine does the same roll/snap to the right as yours and i've just learnt to deal with it. I've seen a couple other comments from people with the same issue and so far no fix. It's not lateral balance and it's not aileron or rudder trim that i've found. Maybe it's a twist in one of the wings but I can't see anything and the incidence meter doesn't indicate anything.
luke352 is online now Find More Posts by luke352
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:55 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Dec 2006
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke352 View Post
The covering thing is a pretty standard complaint, mine didn't match either. Your lucky it was just the white that didn't match, my green was completely different as well. As for the black lots of guys just use the white and use a texta to make the black spots.

Mine does the same roll/snap to the right as yours and i've just learnt to deal with it. I've seen a couple other comments from people with the same issue and so far no fix. It's not lateral balance and it's not aileron or rudder trim that i've found. Maybe it's a twist in one of the wings but I can't see anything and the incidence meter doesn't indicate anything.

Thanks luke352.... guess I'll deal with it too cause it is a great flyer 7 it looks really cool. maybe a few more flights, n I'll start to getting more familiar with it
flybri is offline Find More Posts by flybri
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:00 PM
Joined Nov 2008
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke352 View Post
So in other words your telling us that PA's QA slipped again and you've ended up with a dodgy stab.

There is lots that can be done, for starters PA could send you a new stab!
Yeah it would be nice... but a longgg stretch for PA. I tried to simply get a small strip of blue covering (with my next purchase) because I messed up the first attempt of covering my LG bay. They said no-can-do. If I want a small piece of covering I'll have to pay $15 for a whole role...

Having the word of a former PA pilot probably wouldn't even get me a new stab. I went ahead and glued it up this afternoon, got it squared pretty good. As physically accurate as I could.
Last edited by pilot_keeter; Dec 11, 2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:55 AM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,449 Posts
Quote:
Yeah it would be nice... but a longgg stretch for PA. I tried to simply get a small strip of blue covering (with my next purchase) because I messed up the first attempt of covering my LG bay. They said no-can-do. If I want a small piece of covering I'll have to pay $15 for a whole role...

Having the word of a former PA pilot probably wouldn't even get me a new stab. I went ahead and glued it up this afternoon, got it squared pretty good. As physically accurate as I could.
Hi Pilot, what happens is they don't have any scrap pieces of covering to send, they only have full rolls, the only extra pieces is the one you receive in the airplane box.... But if you want, definately send the suggestion to start having scrap pieces to info@precisionaerobatics.com
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:59 AM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybri View Post
Hey everyone, I just got the Bandit the other day...... the red one got it all together and it all went together very well, The only issue in the build was the white strips to cover the hinge gap on the elevator was antique white and didn't match the plane at all, and not enough black, but I had some scraps on hand that matched and all is good there.

I'm running the 4 cell set up with the Torque 2814T/820

flying it is amazing. however one thing I've noticed is that on mine, when i give it a lot of up elevator it wants to snap / roll out to the right.

my hi rate throws are set.... 45 deg on the Ailerons, 50 deg on Rudder 50 on Ele.

my other (3D) planes don't do that all, them being (2) PA Katana MD's, Sebart Katana 30, Funtana even my "el cheapos" the TechOne SU-31 & Yak-54. ...... so I was a bit surprised to see this Bandit do it.

On all aerobatic planes, if you give the right elevator input it will SNAP or Tip stall!, the trick is to setup dual rates, a low and high for all control surfaces, but the most important for this situation is the elevator, setup your low rate so it is between 12 - 15 degrees of elevator MAX!, what i do on my planes to make sure it won't snap when using full elevator is to adjust it on low rates and lower the travel until it doesnt snap anymore! THen on your high rates you want 40 - 50 degrees minimum of elevator throw, Remember high rates is just for 3D stuff! When you do a wall use FULL elevator, i can guarantee you 100% that it will NOT snap or tip stall. Its hard to explain but there seems to be a point between 20 to 40 degrees of elevator that every single aerobatic plane will tip stall!! Anyway the Bandit is an amazing plane! it has a very powerful tail so thats why you are feeling the effect of the elevator a bit too much i think.....

Here is an old video abusing my old bandit, you can see that it never tip stalls, and is awesome for crazy aerobatics lol

Bandit - Xtreme 3D by Daniel Dominguez (7 min 34 sec)
Site Sponsor