Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:31 PM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerofundan View Post
Awesome to hear that!

I received my new red bandit yesterday woohoooo! can't wait to fly it, new video coming soon!
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:42 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,377 Posts
+1,000
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:08 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,097 Posts
Build's done

Finally assembled, all that's left is to find or cannibalise a spare rx and set the throws and expo and go flying.

The job took probably about 10 hours, about what anything ARF more complex than a Mini Ultra Stick seems to take me. Parts fit was overall quite good, no evident warping anywhere, and covering seems good too. No problems with the cowling - about the same fiddliness as an Eflite Pogo - but I did sand the motor box corners as suggested before even trying to fit the cowl. Anti - rotation pin alignment wasn't quite perfect fore and aft, but after tapering the ends of the pins as per the manual the wings snugged up perfectly against the fuse.

Weight without battery is 1090g, and with a 3S 2200 ready to fly 1283g. Motor and ESC (Scorpion 3020-780 and Plush 60) are a little heavier than PA stuff, but I don't think it will matter much at 200W/lb on 4S

I bought the gucci CF spinner - I can't recommend it. Very fiddly to try to get it even close to centred and running true - a problem I've had with only a very few other spinners. Yep, very bling, but not very practical and given the size of the mounting holes, I expect any bump will knock it out of alignment.

Anyway, Saturday morning wx looks promising ....
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:13 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,097 Posts
Successful maiden

Wx this morning was excellent, not a cloud to be seen, gentle breeze, 20-27degrees (C). It has to be the straightest model I've ever built, with 0 aileron or rudder trim required, and initially just 1 click back trim. I thought I had the CG at about 100mm, but it flew very tail heavy and was overly pitch sensitive, climbing inverted.

Second flight I moved the pack forward about 1/2", added 2 clicks of back trim before takeoff, and that was spot on for flight with the instability gone and just a touch forward pressure needed for inverted.

I'm not much chop at 3d, but general aerobatics were just great. I was flying it back to back with a 3DHS Vyper 46". The Vyper is just a knife edge machine and I'm not sure whether the Bandit will be as good, but the Bandit seemed a lot more stable in my efforts at harriers. Given I've been flying the Vyper for a year solid and it's well sorted, I thought the Bandit stacked up pretty well, and the extra 150W power in the Bandit was kind of nice. Bandit wins the looks contest hands down.

I logged both flights on a Hyperion Emeter. Power system is a Scorpion SII 3020-780, 4S 2200 Zippy and APC 12x8E. Takeoff at about 2/3 throttle was around 400W, peak inflight power was about 600W for a couple of extended verticals, but most of the time power was between 100 and 280W. Average inflight power was only 130W, and it only used 1000mAh for 51/2 minutes, but i was taking it pretty easy.

Bottom line the Bandit has lived up to expectations both in the build and the first flights, and i'm looking forward to getting more used to it.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:38 AM
Precision Aerobatics Team
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Dec 2006
1,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
....Bottom line the Bandit has lived up to expectations both in the build and the first flights, and i'm looking forward to getting more used to it.
Fantastic mate! Congrats on the maiden.
demonGti is offline Find More Posts by demonGti
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:46 PM
United States, GA, Pooler
Joined Nov 2008
307 Posts
New problem. I'm having difficulty getting my horizontal stab level. When looking from the rear, the left half matched level to the wing tube, the right half noticeably lower than the wing tube. Elevator taped level and sitting on the ground I'm getting the following measurements from the ground to the forward corners of the elevator: Right half sits 55mm off the ground. Left half sits 64mm. I've tried sanding multiple times with both a hand file and a dremel disk with no luck. The only way I can get it level is to tape the right half of the elevator/stab to the horizontal... Can't glue in this position as it will risk warping the fuselage. Any suggestions?

Pictures to follow when I get the chance.
pilot_keeter is offline Find More Posts by pilot_keeter
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:37 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,381 Posts
Pilot~ can you come to Griffin to fly tomorrow? Google OGE4, or 750 Teamon Road, Griffin Ga. Its a private full scale airport and I would be happy to take a look. I know it is still far for you, but likely it is closer than my place in Atlanta... I would be delighted to help you get through this build. You can show me your issues, I will show you how to get past them. We will be flying and not much building going on at the field, but I will be able to explain some of the intricacies where you are hitting a road block.

We usually start between 12:30 and 1:30, I gotta leave to head back for Atlanta around 4:50-5:00pm.

let me know if you can make it

Bradley
bsbauman@gmail.com
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:32 AM
Joined Nov 2008
307 Posts
Bradley,

I really wish I could, but my next day off work isn't until tomorrow (Monday). Griffin would be closer and do-able though.

Thanks,
William
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:44 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,381 Posts
...I had to ask; perhaps next time.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:13 AM
Joined Nov 2008
307 Posts
Have pictures now. I've sanded the slot quite a few times with still no improvements. In addition to this issue, does that gap at the front right leading edge of my stab look normal? It's pushed as far forward as it can go.

The off angle is easier to see from matching the horizontal to the wing tube from the bottom rather than the top.

What's the recommended method to sanding the slot because either I'm not doing it right or no enough or something...
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:59 AM
Precision Aerobatics Team
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Dec 2006
1,978 Posts
Is it a real tight squeeze to get the stab in like you have it?
demonGti is offline Find More Posts by demonGti
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Nov 2008
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonGti View Post
Is it a real tight squeeze to get the stab in like you have it?
It goes in pretty easily as is.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:07 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,097 Posts
Installing my stab, there was a small gap at the front, but because both sides of the stab were snugged up perfectly against the fuse and the elevator was clearing the rudder, I was not concerned. Once the higher outboard sections are flush against the fuselage, it's just not going any further forward due to the angles. The construction with the centre section of the stab rebated thinner than the outboard sections I found gave perfect lateral alignment, with both tips the same distance from the front of the fuselage.

Re your horizontal alignment, all I can suggest is that you file the corresponding top and other side bottom of the slot to enable the stab to align with the wing tube. 10mm at the tips should be way less than 1mm at the slot. 0.5 mm extra clearance down on one side of the slot and 0.5 up on the other should move one tip down near 5mm and the other up 5mm = level. It may even need less than that but I can't measure mine right now. Then you'll need to tape it horizontal while the epoxy sets. If you're worried about the gap, some 1/32 or 1/64 ply from your LHS could be applied to the stab first. Mine needed a fair bit of filing just to get the stab in the slot without excessive force- but then it was level so i guess i was luckier than you.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:08 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,377 Posts
To me it does look like you need to sand some more. Though I'm not sure how much you have done, but I have had this in the past and it required quite a bit of filing and sanding to get level. I use an emery board (that women use for their fingernails) and have it through the slot at an angle so on the side the stab needs to go down the board is rubbing the bottom of the slot and on the side it needs to go high the board is touching the top of the slot. I did get it level using this method and have had no troubles with it.
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:13 PM
Joined Nov 2008
307 Posts
Thanks for the helpful suggestions! I may try and sand it down some more tonight, but I've got plans to meet with Chris S. tomorrow and see if we can work things out. He has far more experience than I do and I can't go wrong with a PA team pilot.