HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:07 AM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot_keeter View Post
Just when you thought you've gotten through the hardest part of the build... You haven't installed the VGs. I got all the holes cut ok, but test fitting resulted in the breaking of at least 2 balsa pieces (in the wing structure) that were supported to old the VGs in.... It's like they didn't leave enough space from the edge of the balsa brace and the VG holes. I still have one solid hole so I'll just have to glue in and hope for the best.

"Gluing in and hoping for the best" = my slogan thus far for the Bandit.
For the price I paid for the entire pro package, bling package and everything I have been beyond disappointed.

Also, is it just me or has anyone else noticed tiny holes throughout their covering. When using a flashlight to search for the VG holes I noticed that there are a ton of really tiny holes in my covering, more-so noticeable around the "Bandit" sticker of the right wing.
It just sounds like you didnt take the time needed to get a good fit on the VGs. On the tiny holes in the covering, yes you will probably see that in most balsa planes, the holes are so the air bubbles are not trapped inside the covering. In fact many years ago when we had to build plane from kits, to get covering and stripes to look good we had to use a special tool to make all this micro holes so the air bubbles didn't get trapped in the covering! Cool how now the factory does all the hard work for us....

I really think you should appreciate how close to perfect this planes are, trust me, i have over 15 years of experience in R/C, and i can't build a plane that is even close to half of how perfect the PA planes come! Problem is, a lot of people are now so used to parkzone foam stuff, that they only take it out of the box and plug the batteries. Consider it this way, right now to put together a pa plane its between 8 - 12 hours max, before to put together a kit together it would take up to a month or more of work!!!
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:11 AM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew_herbe View Post
Wondered if anyone could help me out. i took the bandit out for its maiden flight and wow cant believe how stable she fly's. first flight was kept short and it was a bit tail heavy. using a 4s 2200 but not a problem still easy to control. second flight decided to play a bit more. I noticed when i do knife edge i seem to have a vibration or at least sounds like i have vibration does anyone know what it might be. i have done everything by the instructions and sealed all the hing gaps but I am stumped???
Check your spinner bolts, it could be they are loose. Also if they are coming loose in the air, you may have to open up the prop holes in the spinner a little bit. A drop of blue loctite also helps to keep it from coming loose.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:25 AM
United Kingdom, England, Crawley
Joined Nov 2011
95 Posts
thanks i will check that out. but would that not mean i would have vibration all the time and not only when i fly knife edge.
matthew_herbe is offline Find More Posts by matthew_herbe
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:04 PM
Retreating Blade Stall
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2011
3,323 Posts
I also had a vibration that was only noticed during knife edge - turned out to be loose motor mount bolts vice the spinner. I had to switch to red threadlock to solve it. Yes, I balanced the prop.
Arcturus97 is offline Find More Posts by Arcturus97
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:27 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerofundan View Post
Problem is, a lot of people are now so used to parkzone foam stuff, that they only take it out of the box and plug the batteries. Consider it this way, right now to put together a pa plane its between 8 - 12 hours max, before to put together a kit together it would take up to a month or more of work!!!
So so true. By no fault of the pilots, PZ has changed the way an entire generation of new pilots define the term ARF; to them it means they should be able to relax and put it together in 1 hour. Then when they step up to a real ARF (whether it be PA, EF, TF, Pilot, etc), many feel mislead and are disappointed they have none of the building techniques necessary to properly finish the model.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nice Pic
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:15 PM
United States, GA, Pooler
Joined Nov 2008
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
So so true. By no fault of the pilots, PZ has changed the way an entire generation of new pilots define the term ARF; to them it means they should be able to relax and put it together in 1 hour. Then when they step up to a real ARF (whether it be PA, EF, TF, Pilot, etc), many feel mislead and are disappointed they have none of the building techniques necessary to properly finish the model.
I agree the times are different. I apologize if my words seemed harsh, I've just been working on this plane for what seems like forever and it's been one thing after another. I have seeked help on here a little. I just think it's funny that a lot people say "if you follow the manual...." yet their are many important points not covered in the manual. For example, the mistake I made with my aeliron pushrods. The manual makes no indication of which hole to use on the CF arm thus I went with the inner, measuring and cutting down the rod to fit from that length. Then I find out that it needs to be the outer hole so that there is no binding. The result: questionable pushrod length in the metal clevis.

I know these are high quality, it's just little issues like those that make me feel as though I've lost value with this model. However, I do appreciate all of the help from everyone in this forum.
pilot_keeter is offline Find More Posts by pilot_keeter
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:14 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot_keeter View Post
I agree the times are different. I apologize if my words seemed harsh, I've just been working on this plane for what seems like forever and it's been one thing after another. I have seeked help on here a little. I just think it's funny that a lot people say "if you follow the manual...." yet their are many important points not covered in the manual. For example, the mistake I made with my aeliron pushrods. The manual makes no indication of which hole to use on the CF arm thus I went with the inner, measuring and cutting down the rod to fit from that length. Then I find out that it needs to be the outer hole so that there is no binding. The result: questionable pushrod length in the metal clevis.

I know these are high quality, it's just little issues like those that make me feel as though I've lost value with this model. However, I do appreciate all of the help from everyone in this forum.
I assume by binding you mean with full down aileron the ball linkage binding against part of the original servo arm on which the CF extension arm is mounted. I can see how that could happen using the round disk, or a 4 arm servo horn. If so, an alternate approach, no use to you now I understand, could have been to cut off the unused horn or carve away some of the disk. I have my aileron pushrods on the inner hole with the CF arm on a round disk. I get about 45degrees aileron travel at 120% servo travel, and the ball link is just touching part of the disk, but the aileron travel on its hinges seems more limiting than the servo horn anyway. I'll carve a bit of the disk away when I get around to it. I admit I didn't see the ball link touching the disk coming, but it turned out to not be a problem for me. Again, no comfort to you now, but this sort of issue is not confined to the Bandit - getting servo linkages just right is the thing I always seem to end up taking as much time as the total advertised build time - and I'm still discovering novel ways of servo a and linkage b and position c and travel d to just not want to cooperate.

As an aside, if you want to experience real hassle free assembly, try a Multiplex kit using the recommended components or their Hitec equivalent.
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:47 PM
Registered Pilot
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2006
976 Posts
Quote:
I disagree. I've been in the hobby since the mid-1990's and have built plenty of "traditional" ARFs requiring 10-30 hours or more. (GP Super Sportster, Kyosho CAP 232, H9 Aresti, H9 Pizzaz, H9 Sundowner 50, Jackal 50, to name a few.) I found the Bandit build to be one of the most frustrating and difficult ever. Especially considering that it looks like a simple 3D plane that should go together easily. Some of the problems that I recall: too small a space between tail servo openings and the drilled servo screw holes (leding to a wood split), holes for the vortex generators that were hard to locate and too small and blocked by CF inside, angle of pushrod and metal clevis causing binding requiring a lot of sanding, having to screw the clevis screw tight enough to hold it but not too tight to bind the arm, not enough black stripe covering provided to do the instructed hinge gap striping, awkward ball connectors that required tiny nuts to be permanently lock-tited in place (no second chances and no adjustments!), cutting and gluing CF rods rather than screwing in rods that are pre-cut to the proper length, clearance issues with the elevator inside the rear of the fuselage tail after having to cut out a block that should have been pre-cut, and so on. Oh, I also got a screw that was missing all its threads and PA couldn't replace it; I had to buy some more from Hobby King. So there's a quality control issue too. I can't remember half of it; it's been about a year. I really like the plane, it looks great and feels solid, but PA should take a second look at some of its build procedures which are unnecessarily complex or unforgiving.
bmschulman is offline Find More Posts by bmschulman
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bmschulman; Dec 04, 2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:56 PM
Joined Nov 2008
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmschulman View Post
PA should take a second look at some of its build procedures which are unnecessarily complex or unforgiving.
Thank you.
Last edited by pilot_keeter; Dec 04, 2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:19 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,287 Posts
Quote:
Then when they step up to a poorly executed ARF like PA many feel mislead and are disappointed they have none of the building techniques necessary to properly finish the model.
I fixed it for you.

Let's be honest, I have never heard anywhere near as many bad comments around the build process as I have all the other brands you listed, this one PA thread would have more posts with complaints about poor construction methods then all the other threads by one of the other manufacturers put together. The same could be said for any of the other threads dedicated to PA models.

The other issue I have is if these models are so precision built then why do they have to match all the parts to get a model with parts that all fit well, i've not heard of the other manufacturers having to do this, yet I don't see pages upon pages of poorly fitting parts, yet order a spare part for your PA plane and it's likely it won't fit at all without modification.

A model built with laser cut parts and built in a jig should always come out near identically sized, definitely not the case with PA my spare canopy is about 4mm shorter and 4mm too high, was also about 4mm wider at the front. Took a lot of work to make it even fit! I don't know how this is even possible when using laser cut parts.
luke352 is offline Find More Posts by luke352
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:19 AM
Joined Nov 2008
319 Posts
Another issue that I know has already been brought up once before... Why does PA not put their manuals online like every other high quality RC manufacturer? The only answer I can come to is that it may scare off potential buyers of their products. I know that if I'd seen or had access to the Bandit manual prior to purchase, my money would have probably went elsewhere.
Last edited by pilot_keeter; Dec 04, 2012 at 07:33 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:35 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
Jees but you okes can moan like 90 year old sickly woman!!!!!!
no offense but PA planes are some of the best out there.if they really as bad as you "perceive" them to be, get rid of them and go elsewhere and let the guys who appreciate the work gone into designing these planes enjoy it,instead of having to read the constant worthless bickering going on here!
PA IS THE SHIZZ!!!!
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:44 AM
United Kingdom, England, Crawley
Joined Nov 2011
95 Posts
The bandit is my first PA model and i stuck it all together in 2 evenings and doing everything by the book. i am by no means that great at building but found no problem with the bandit build everything went together like a dream and the maiden flight this last weekend went perfect with only 3 clicks of right aileron. i think i have had more problems with e-flite models than PA and will be getting more from PA. this is my fist 3d capable model and already find it easy to handle and very forgiving and i have only been flying for just over a year so that must say something about the build quality and the company as a whole.
matthew_herbe is offline Find More Posts by matthew_herbe
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:00 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
+10000:d
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:56 AM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew_herbe View Post
The bandit is my first PA model and i stuck it all together in 2 evenings and doing everything by the book. i am by no means that great at building but found no problem with the bandit build everything went together like a dream and the maiden flight this last weekend went perfect with only 3 clicks of right aileron. i think i have had more problems with e-flite models than PA and will be getting more from PA. this is my fist 3d capable model and already find it easy to handle and very forgiving and i have only been flying for just over a year so that must say something about the build quality and the company as a whole.
Awesome to hear that!

I received my new red bandit yesterday woohoooo! can't wait to fly it, new video coming soon!
Site Sponsor