3,280 Posts
Nice Rudder dunks in the lake
Arcturus97 is offline Find More Posts by Arcturus97
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:45 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Maiden and some :D

well I finally finishef the build maiden mine this past weekend. I ended up rushing to finish in time and slightly missed aligned the elevator. I cant get full 50% on up evelator; I can only get 45%. Not a big deal. Down elevator is fine.

Maiden was almost non-eventful. Mine initially started out a little nose heavy. Took a few clicks of the elevator along with aerlirons and she was trimmed. 2nd - I also had to move the battey slighty back before she was flying inverted pretty level without input.

I did noticed the elevator low rates per spec were rather tame for me and I had to bump them up to be useful.

I did find I had wing rocks when doing harrier. I probabely need to move the battery slighly forward. The plane does seem to need a lot more evelator and power to do harrier than I would have liked.

Overall it's a nice 3d sport plane. Can't waite to get more stick time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_rc View Post
Looks like I'll be joining the PA Bandit crowd shortly (hopefully maiden next coming weekend). I got the ipa pro package so I am looking forward to the build. My 2nd PA plane . My AddyX is currently down waiting on new landing gear. More time to catch-up on backlog builds
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Old Aug 06, 2012, 04:22 AM
Byron C
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2011
713 Posts
Quote:
well I finally finishef the build maiden mine this past weekend. I ended up rushing to finish in time and slightly missed aligned the elevator. I cant get full 50% on up evelator; I can only get 45%. Not a big deal. Down elevator is fine.

Maiden was almost non-eventful. Mine initially started out a little nose heavy. Took a few clicks of the elevator along with aerlirons and she was trimmed. 2nd - I also had to move the battey slighty back before she was flying inverted pretty level without input.

I did noticed the elevator low rates per spec were rather tame for me and I had to bump them up to be useful.

I did find I had wing rocks when doing harrier. I probabely need to move the battery slighly forward. The plane does seem to need a lot more evelator and power to do harrier than I would have liked.

Congrats on the successful maiden. I found the low rates as specified to be a little to low for my taste as well, to low for everything except maybe pylon racing Actually, they are good for speed precision flying but I'm more into the slow-N-low.

On harrier performance, if it takes a lot of power then it sounds like the Bandit may still be a bit towards a nose heavy CG -- unless you mean high AOA harrier which does take a goodly amount of thrust. High AOA harrier is a delicate balancing act between AOA and forward airspeed to achieve the ultimate flight stability, and it takes a lot of practice to do well

Fitted with VGs', mine enters a nice slow speed harrier (Addiction-X style) at something around 1/8 to 1/4 throttle. I have the CG set so that the Bandit is completely neutral for 1/2 ~ 5/8 throttle flight speed, and that's my preference for 3D

Cheers, Byron
3DeltaFly is offline Find More Posts by 3DeltaFly
Last edited by 3DeltaFly; Aug 06, 2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:30 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
I believe Addict X spoiled me with AOA harrier. As you mentioned, it does seem to required more thrust and a lot more practice . For the interim, I will keep the harrier lower until I am more accustom to what's needed.

I have the VG that came with the kit but I was running out of time, daylight hours and weekend, so I gone without it. Will likely put them on after a few more flights after I am more comfortable and then see if I notice any difference like the Addict X with VG on for fun.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:03 AM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,466 Posts
Quote:
I believe Addict X spoiled me with AOA harrier. As you mentioned, it does seem to required more thrust and a lot more practice . For the interim, I will keep the harrier lower until I am more accustom to what's needed.

I have the VG that came with the kit but I was running out of time, daylight hours and weekend, so I gone without it. Will likely put them on after a few more flights after I am more comfortable and then see if I notice any difference like the Addict X with VG on for fun.
Definately install the VG's they make a big difference in flight performance!
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:53 PM
Cape Town
Joined Oct 2009
244 Posts
Quote:

I don't think harriers are this plane's strong point. At least not coming from an Addiction or AMR. Just keep practicing them and remember, like someone said on another thread, wing rock is a function of yaw and can mostly be corrected with rudder inputs. After about 60 flights on my Bandit, I can sort of get it to harrier upright in a straight line - a little breeze from the front helps a lot. But take this as advice from a novice...
masehare is offline Find More Posts by masehare
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:37 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
hey masehare

i would agree with the head winds aspect. After making some minor CG changes and adjusting the expo slightly, my high harrier were a lot more stable than the first set of flights on this thing. standard and low harrier were very easy. I find doing this way is easier for me to build my way up to vertical hover gradually on new plane. I've done similar with Addict X and had great results (with understanding the darn thing is relatively easier to begin with). I am hoping with enough stick time and through similar approach, I'll be able to do vertical hover with this thing in a very stable manner in short timeframe.

the bandit remind me very much something like extra body frame type planes.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:07 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,355 Posts
Yes Shaun gave me some tips a while back about reducing my expo to make some moves smoother. You have to be more careful and smooth and can't "jerk" the sticks around as much but it makes harriers and torque rolls much easier to hold.
Mr Kamikaze is online now Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:17 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,259 Posts
Reef.i find that flying in a straight line and doing a wall and transition straight into hover is always fun and you can't really screw it up too much or just low AOA harrier and kick it into hover at a slight angle using rudder and elevator combo.or high alpha KE into hover works well.or if you wanna make that all look sweet.wall into hover,kick the rudder and straight into KE always looks nice
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:00 AM
United States, OH, Mentor
Joined Jun 2007
172 Posts
Battery placement and securing

I read many have to put the battery very far forward,like almost all the way in the motor box to achieve the proper CG. But How are you able to secure the battery from shifting if most of it is in the motorbox? Thank you for the info!
Mingus The Red is offline Find More Posts by Mingus The Red
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:29 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Now I've have only flown mine dozen times and still just getting the feel for the plane. My battery does extend into the motor box but no where near that much. If I recalled, I believe my 3S 2200 is placed right underneath the wing tube and extend into the motor box less than 1/4 of the battery length or so. With velcro on the battery tray, velcro on the battery and one velcro strap to around the battery and battery tray; thing seems to be pretty good.

curious where other have place their battery myself. With this battery placement placement, 2.5" front wheels and no wheel pants, mine's slightly tail heavy and when flown inverted flies level and with slight speed will climb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingus The Red View Post
I read many have to put the battery very far forward,like almost all the way in the motor box to achieve the proper CG. But How are you able to secure the battery from shifting if most of it is in the motorbox? Thank you for the info!
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:35 AM
United States, OH, Mentor
Joined Jun 2007
172 Posts
Quote:
Now I've have only flown mine dozen times and still just getting the feel for the plane. My battery does extend into the motor box but no where near that much. If I recalled, I believe my 3S 2200 is placed right underneath the wing tube and extend into the motor box less than 1/4 of the battery length or so. With velcro on the battery tray, velcro on the battery and one velcro strap to around the battery and battery tray; thing seems to be pretty good.

curious where other have place their battery myself. With this battery placement placement, 2.5" front wheels and no wheel pants, mine's slightly tail heavy and when flown inverted flies level and with slight speed will climb.
Thanks for the info! I am still interested to see how others are approaching this as well. For sure on the velcro for the batteries and on the tray...
Mingus The Red is offline Find More Posts by Mingus The Red
Last edited by Mingus The Red; Aug 08, 2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:05 AM
Cape Town
Joined Oct 2009
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingus The Red View Post
On mine the 3S 2200 battery is as far forward as it can go into the motor box. When inverted it dives slightly with half throttle. I've just added a thin strip of velcro fur on the tray to act as resistance. The battery has velcro hooks to aid with the resistance. And then the battery is tied down with a velcro strap that is located right against the fire wall. No problems with this setup so far.
masehare is offline Find More Posts by masehare
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
hey guys

Thought I let you know I've finally installed the VGs and settled down with this baby to my style and liking now. For a while there I had her slightly tail heavy and as a results high harrier and semi-hover was giving me wing rock issues. Since moving the battery slightly forward as noted in the pic below (battery is placed on the 2nd green line from the top), high harrier has definitely been more stable and the glide is long and smooth. This basically is my neutral position. Both standard and inverted level flights are pretty much hands free. Other light3d moves are also fun on this plane - KE (high and low), flat spin, blender, etc.

This is a fun sport/3d plane indeed. I am sure it'll also be a racer once get on 4S and 12x6 or12x7 prop
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:57 AM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,466 Posts
Quote:
hey guys

Thought I let you know I've finally installed the VGs and settled down with this baby to my style and liking now. For a while there I had her slightly tail heavy and as a results high harrier and semi-hover was giving me wing rock issues. Since moving the battery slightly forward as noted in the pic below (battery is placed on the 2nd green line from the top), high harrier has definitely been more stable and the glide is long and smooth. This basically is my neutral position. Both standard and inverted level flights are pretty much hands free. Other light3d moves are also fun on this plane - KE (high and low), flat spin, blender, etc.

This is a fun sport/3d plane indeed. I am sure it'll also be a racer once get on 4S and 12x6 or12x7 prop
Awesome to hear that!!!! its amazing how different it feels on 4S! its really cool because its like you can have two different planes just by changing prop and battery!!!! I sold my old blue one, and hope to start putting together a new one in a different color very soon!!! i LOVE the bandit
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor