Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision Aerob View Post
Hi,
It is actually in the manual of the bandit. I have included it in:

"Motor and ESC Installation

The motor is installed behind the motor box firewall using four screws and large washers (supplied with your Thrust motor). The washers are used in front of the firewall to spread the load. DO NOT under any circumstances enlarge/modify the motor shaft opening on the motor mount. If you are using the Thrust 40, remove the C clip off the motor shaft prior to installation to avoid it from rubbing against the firewall. There is no risk by removing the C clip when firewall (front mounted) installation is used. "

Thanks,
Shaun
Precision Aerobatics Team
TBH honest I don't remember what was in my Bandit manual and since I didn't fit a thrust motor I didn't pay that much attention to the parts in it abou tfitting the Thrust motor. I made an assumption based off the number of questions we get in these PA threads about why people's motor doesn't fit flush of which there has been plenty in the Bandit thread so assumed the Bandit manual left it out as well. My mistake sorry!

Still doesn't answer my question about why the circlip is fitted in the first place since the motors can't be rear mounted so there is no need for the circlip in the first place.
luke352 is offline Find More Posts by luke352
Last edited by luke352; Jun 25, 2012 at 06:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2012, 06:21 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerofundan View Post
Just watch out that you are not pushing the plane over the limits when using different propellers and gear. in other words the APC (same size) is not equivalent to the Vox (same size) but actually draws a lot more amps and has more vibretions. you may cause the motor box to break or something else to damage. not familiar with the specific motor you chose to use but anyway it would be experimental when using different gear. Personally i have found that Vox props give more flight time than APC, they consume less amps and are easier on battery packs! and in case of a bad landing you will only break the prop and not the plane...
Not true. The testing done by the guys in the 'Extreme flight power combo thread' shows this to be the exact opposite in many cases. Although there is the odd size where APC's draw more amps than the equivelent Vox (same size) in most cases the APC's produce less thrust but significantly lower amp draw. In many cases the APC produce 2-3% lower thrust but at 10-15% lower amp draw.

I've not had any issues with the motor box yet, but I have been keeping an eye on it since i'm making over 50% more thrust than the Thrust 40 setup.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 03:05 PM
Registered Pilot
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2006
989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision Aerob View Post
Hi,
It is actually in the manual of the bandit. I have included it in:
I think the instructions about the clip and washer are also printed on the side of the Thurst 40 box.
bmschulman is offline Find More Posts by bmschulman
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2012, 03:18 PM
Registered Pilot
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2006
989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerofundan View Post
than APC, they consume less amps and are easier on battery packs! and in case of a bad landing you will only break the prop and not the plane...
In case of a slightly bad landing on a paved runway, the wooden prop instantly splinters. I have gone through three of them. At $10 a pop pljus shipping, it's painful. The APCs are more forgiving of a bump against the ground.
bmschulman is offline Find More Posts by bmschulman
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:27 PM
What will happen if ....Oh....
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined Oct 2007
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke352 View Post
Not true. The testing done by the guys in the 'Extreme flight power combo thread' shows this to be the exact opposite in many cases. Although there is the odd size where APC's draw more amps than the equivelent Vox (same size) in most cases the APC's produce less thrust but significantly lower amp draw. In many cases the APC produce 2-3% lower thrust but at 10-15% lower amp draw.
Can you post a link to this test report please.
OSOFAM is offline Find More Posts by OSOFAM
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:56 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSOFAM View Post
Can you post a link to this test report please.
http://rcwebclub.com/Articles/Extrem...erOptions.aspx
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:45 PM
ward cleaver's boy...
waco,texas
Joined May 2008
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke352 View Post
TBH honest I don't remember what was in my Bandit manual and since I didn't fit a thrust motor I didn't pay that much attention to the parts in it abou tfitting the Thrust motor. I made an assumption based off the number of questions we get in these PA threads about why people's motor doesn't fit flush of which there has been plenty in the Bandit thread so assumed the Bandit manual left it out as well. My mistake sorry!

Still doesn't answer my question about why the circlip is fitted in the first place since the motors can't be rear mounted so there is no need for the circlip in the first place.
If someone were to buy a thrust motor for a plane made by someone else... you might need the clip to be there. People made the same careless mistake when building the addiction, and then tried to blame PA even though it is clearly printed in the instructions. Go figure......
the beave is offline Find More Posts by the beave
Old Jun 27, 2012, 01:17 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmschulman View Post
In case of a slightly bad landing on a paved runway, the wooden prop instantly splinters. I have gone through three of them. At $10 a pop pljus shipping, it's painful. The APCs are more forgiving of a bump against the ground.
Wooden props are just so much more efficient,and even a small nick on a plastic doesnt always do justice.they vibrate then and eventually tear your plane apart and that look of a VOX or XOAR on the front just looks so sexy
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Jul 02, 2012, 02:27 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,291 Posts
Had the Bandit out on the weekend running a 15x6 prop on 3s with the Motrolfly 2820-950. Motor handled it fine, actually kept cooler etc.. then my normal 13x6.5 on 4s setup. Didn't have the outright punch and speed of the 4s setup, but control authority was awesome along with much more stable harriers. Knife edge flight was also easier as you could hold it at a nice high AOA at a consierably slower speed whereas on 4s you need to keep the speed up quite a bit to maintain altitude.

So since the motor is handling it fine i'm considering going up a pitch angle maybe 15x7.

Only downside is prop clearance is pretty slim even with my 2" wheels (standard is 1.5") you have to make sure your landing are greasers otherwise you'll catch the prop.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 07:02 AM
Uh Oh......
United Kingdom, Peterborough
Joined Sep 2008
50 Posts
http://www.heliguy.com/Extras/Servos...Digital-Servo/
http://www.4-max.co.uk/jxf-props.htm
The 2 places I go to for kitting out my PA stuff, Bandit's next on the list of course (:
Just hope the servos come back in stock from Heliguy...
Moleman rc is offline Find More Posts by Moleman rc
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:37 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Looks like I'll be joining the PA Bandit crowd shortly (hopefully maiden next coming weekend). I got the ipa pro package so I am looking forward to the build. My 2nd PA plane . My AddyX is currently down waiting on new landing gear. More time to catch-up on backlog builds
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:31 PM
Team Hitec
United States, IN, Winamac
Joined Jan 2006
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_rc View Post
Looks like I'll be joining the PA Bandit crowd shortly (hopefully maiden next coming weekend). I got the ipa pro package so I am looking forward to the build. My 2nd PA plane . My AddyX is currently down waiting on new landing gear. More time to catch-up on backlog builds
Reef,

Congrats on joining the Bandit crowd. After you have flown it a few times consider jumping up to the 4S setup. It takes the Bandit to a whole new level.

If you have any questions during the assembly don't hesitate to reach out.

Best Wishes,

Jim
Team PA
zemkes_wolfpack is offline Find More Posts by zemkes_wolfpack
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:41 PM
Joined Jan 2010
543 Posts
I think you are going to love this plane. Its a lot of fun to fly even in the wind.
Josef086 is offline Find More Posts by Josef086
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:57 AM
Bedford, Mass. USA
Joined Dec 2007
386 Posts
Yes, the Bandit is an all around blast. It harriers the smoothest of all my planes. I also agree with the 4S... there is SO much power that you punch out of almost anything (unless you're plane is pointed in a different direction than your mind, like mine was) and it still flies very smooth.
javabeans is offline Find More Posts by javabeans
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:07 AM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_rc View Post
congratulations!! you will love it
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor