HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:21 PM
Colorado
Joined May 2009
9 Posts
Mike, I have a question for you regarding the Bandit. I have put roughly 15 flights on my Bandit and in inverted flight it will climb out and will actually do and outside loop hands off. Plane is balanced at the suggested 103 cg point. All other flight attitudes are normal. Any suggestions as to what may be causing this.

Thanks for your input.
Craig
PA Funk is offline Find More Posts by PA Funk
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:40 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Funk View Post
Mike, I have a question for you regarding the Bandit. I have put roughly 15 flights on my Bandit and in inverted flight it will climb out and will actually do and outside loop hands off. Plane is balanced at the suggested 103 cg point. All other flight attitudes are normal. Any suggestions as to what may be causing this.

Thanks for your input.
Craig
If plane is trimmed for level flight when flying in a straight line you need to move your battery pack forward at least an inch and retrim for level flight and do inverted test again. Repeat all steps until the plane doesnt climb out inverted. You really want a slight dip so you keep a touch of down when inverted. Your plane sound tail heavy
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:49 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,643 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for your input.
Craig
3/4 Throttle Inverted 45* climb, if it rolls out or loops out (inside or outside) its not trimmed correctly.

(I had to learn this just last month)
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:08 PM
PA Team Pilot
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2008
1,235 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for your input.
Craig
They are right... manufacturer's recommendation is where you start. All airframes are a bit different. PA, I must say, nearly always balance near the recommended because they research a lot. I can tell you last year with the bandit prototype I must have had 20 conversations with Shaun about where it was balancing. He is very meticulous about it. But still, The plane is balanced when the plane is balanced as they just said. THe plane shouldn't climb inverted unless the cg is aft. Even if it balances on the recommended. Adjust it until after retrimming for level flight and you fly inverted at 3/4 throttle at a 45 upline it just begins to make a slight arc downward. JUst so you need a very slight elevator input.
mtwargo is online now Find More Posts by mtwargo
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:10 PM
Colorado
Joined May 2009
9 Posts
Thanks Manta 1 and Cloaked. I was thinking the same thing, but I have not pushed the battery that far forward yet.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:18 PM
Colorado
Joined May 2009
9 Posts
Thanks Mike, I will put your suggestions to use this weekend and get it balanced.
So far, the Bandit does impress me even with the aft cg.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:04 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Mike, I will put your suggestions to use this weekend and get it balanced.
So far, the Bandit does impress me even with the aft cg.
Well it won't with an aft CG where it is climbing when inverted. But once you get it sorted I think you will find it a lot of fun!!!
Mr Kamikaze is online now Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:05 AM
TRETTLOCK
Göppingen
Joined May 2009
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwargo View Post
Thanks..
fast..
PA what else is offline Find More Posts by PA what else
Old Mar 16, 2012, 07:52 AM
Retreating Blade Stall
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2011
3,153 Posts
Cowl install

Hello all, I'm nearing completion of my Bandit assembly. This is my first balsa arf so I've been going extremely slow to make sure I don't goof it up (I bought it during the after Thanksgiving black Friday sale). Anyway, all I have left is cowl and spinner installation, then setting CG. I'm hitting a roadblock with the cowl - I can't get it in far enough. Its very close now, the spinner backplate is just barely rubbing on the right side. I've sanded the left corners of the motor box per the manual - and I keep sanding them, I even started sanding the right corners. It seems the only solution is to continue sanding the motor box corners until it fits. I'm worried I could weaken the motor box. Any other solutions or keep on sanding? My goal is to maiden this thing on Sunday - so I have two more nights left in the workshop.

Thanks
Arcturus97 is online now Find More Posts by Arcturus97
Old Mar 16, 2012, 08:04 AM
Precision Aerobatics Team
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Dec 2006
1,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcturus97 View Post
Hello all, I'm nearing completion of my Bandit assembly. This is my first balsa arf so I've been going extremely slow to make sure I don't goof it up (I bought it during the after Thanksgiving black Friday sale). Anyway, all I have left is cowl and spinner installation, then setting CG. I'm hitting a roadblock with the cowl - I can't get it in far enough. Its very close now, the spinner backplate is just barely rubbing on the right side. I've sanded the left corners of the motor box per the manual - and I keep sanding them, I even started sanding the right corners. It seems the only solution is to continue sanding the motor box corners until it fits. I'm worried I could weaken the motor box. Any other solutions or keep on sanding? My goal is to maiden this thing on Sunday - so I have two more nights left in the workshop.

Thanks
Fit your cowl on as far as it will go and carefully look through the holes at the front to see if the motor box is indeed fowling against the cowl.
My guess is if you've already rounded the corners of the motor box then it may be the bottom of the cowl is pressing against one or both of the CF LG legs.
If this is the case just file a notch out of the cowl to clear the offending leg so you can press it on deeper.
demonGti is offline Find More Posts by demonGti
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: PA Addiction XL
Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:50 AM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonGti View Post
Fit your cowl on as far as it will go and carefully look through the holes at the front to see if the motor box is indeed fowling against the cowl.
My guess is if you've already rounded the corners of the motor box then it may be the bottom of the cowl is pressing against one or both of the CF LG legs.
If this is the case just file a notch out of the cowl to clear the offending leg so you can press it on deeper.
Yep, what Malcolm is saying is spot on, also make sure to have your canopy hatch installed when you are doing this, it will help guide the cowling so you won't have trouble installing it when the canopy hatch is on.
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:58 PM
Retreating Blade Stall
Joined Apr 2011
3,153 Posts
Thanks Malcom and Dan. Yes, hatch is on and cowl is touching motorbox. At first I wasn't even close to cowl touching LG but it's there now and I've filed a gap - but cant push into that gap yet. I'm taking it to a more experienced builder tonight for help - he doesn't have the Bandit but does own the Extra MX.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:30 AM
Sunshine Coast
Joined Apr 2010
43 Posts
I had the same problem. Although I just kept sanding all four sides. After sanding and fitting. I applied some extra epoxy to the motor box corners that I sanded. Just in case of weakening the motor box. FItted well and good, infact I sanded too much on some corners. I would not think it is too much a concern with sanding. Just make sure its straight with the airframe/spinner and close to the spinner back plate. Good luck. The plane is a joy as well as a surprise to fly. Goes fast, but slows down to snails pace to land.
jetspeeds is offline Find More Posts by jetspeeds
Old Mar 17, 2012, 07:10 AM
Retreating Blade Stall
Joined Apr 2011
3,153 Posts
I got the cowl on, or I should say my friend did. It just took some more sanding, not only on the corners but just a little along the top edge of the motorbox. All I have left is spinner installation and battery placement / CG. It should fly Sunday, very excited.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 02:06 PM
PA Team Pilot
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2008
1,235 Posts
just a joke...
mtwargo is online now Find More Posts by mtwargo
Last edited by mtwargo; Mar 17, 2012 at 06:47 PM.