SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:56 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,396 Posts
Kansas~while I understand your frustration I do not understand why you would not have just already bought new servos, then resell or replace when the PA servos get in?

I would not hesitate to get that in the air... I have the same thoughts towards you morelock; WTH are you waiting for? Go fly, spinner is purely aesthetic (and looks good) but hardly necessary to enjoy a flight
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:56 AM
Joined Nov 2011
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Kansas~while I understand your frustration I do not understand why you would not have just already bought new servos, then resell or replace when the PA servos get in?

I would not hesitate to get that in the air... I have the same thoughts towards you morelock; WTH are you waiting for? Go fly, spinner is purely aesthetic (and looks good) but hardly necessary to enjoy a flight
I hear you...but I just got my servos in 2 days ago. I'm now at a point that the spinner is all that is holding me up...along with the weather. Supposed to be 65 degrees this weekend so I plan on going to the LHS for a spinner sometime this week.
Tmorelock is offline Find More Posts by Tmorelock
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:36 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,396 Posts
I look forward to hearing your flight report... but if you get a break in the weather, go enjoy it and fly the Bandit. It will fly just great without the spinner

I guess am a bit envious as I do not have one, and you have a perfectly good RTF one that is not flying...

At some point or another, I have flown all my PA planes without spinners, flown all of them without wheel pants, and occasionally I fly without the cowl or the canopy No biggie as long as I am gettin in the air
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:02 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,377 Posts
Agreed. Get the Bandit in the air and fly it. It is an amazing plane, rock solid stable yet chuckable and 3dable at the same time.
Mr Kamikaze is online now Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:12 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonzaS View Post
Hi guys,
has anyone tried Bandit with and without SFGs and Vortexs? What effect does it exactly have?

Thanks
Jan
Hey my friend just built a new Extra MX after finally killing his old one. He left the SFG's off of the new one for a couple of flights and was pretty shocked at how much more tip stally the plane was without them. Also needed nearly whole rudder throw to maintain decent high alpha knife edge. So he put the SFG's on and is happy again. I've also read a similar story about the Addiction X in a magazine.

Now I know the Bandit is neither of those planes but I will say with the SFG's and VG's it is a rock solid stable platform. full throttle walls or parachutes will hardly get a wingtip to move. And it does slooooow stable harriers. It's got a lot to do with the custom designed airfoils but also the SFG's and VG's have a lot to do with it.

Most people don't realise how much testing Shaun puts into an airframe and it's components. On the SFG's alone for the Bandit he tried 3 different sizes/styles and flew each one numerous times to get the best look and more importantly the best results.

I'd say use them for sure.
Mr Kamikaze is online now Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:29 PM
United States, MN, Waconia
Joined Mar 2011
193 Posts
Thanks guys. I think I will just get the Hitechs that I want, and when I eventually get my replacement servos I will try to sell them off. I'd rather just use servos from a company I have some experience with. Originally I had tried to cancel my order of Voltec servos because I found out they were backordered when I ordered the Bandit, but I couldn't get a hold of anyone.
kanans is offline Find More Posts by kanans
Old Jan 18, 2012, 04:56 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,396 Posts
The voltecs were great for me; but it just sounds like you are going to be much happier just putting some servos in and being able to fly
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2012, 02:26 AM
Jan Spatny
Czech republic
Joined Nov 2004
201 Posts
Hi Mr Kamikaze,
I have one flight on my Bandit, no SFG's or VG's on it. To be honest, it wasn't nearly as good as I have read here. It also might be because the CG was quite back.

That of course isn't my fault, because (even though he most likely tested it a lot) Shaun somehow missed the fact that you cant get right CG with 3s 2200mAh lipol on the battery plate . I just don't get it, why didn't he moved rudder servo forward, like Katana MD has it? It would be better! (and I guess there is something that he could patent on pull pull cables, so why don't make it superfeature? )

Jan
HonzaS is offline Find More Posts by HonzaS
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:25 AM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,491 Posts
Quote:
Hi Mr Kamikaze,
I have one flight on my Bandit, no SFG's or VG's on it. To be honest, it wasn't nearly as good as I have read here. It also might be because the CG was quite back.

That of course isn't my fault, because (even though he most likely tested it a lot) Shaun somehow missed the fact that you cant get right CG with 3s 2200mAh lipol on the battery plate . I just don't get it, why didn't he moved rudder servo forward, like Katana MD has it? It would be better! (and I guess there is something that he could patent on pull pull cables, so why don't make it superfeature? )

Jan
It just sounds to me like you need more time on it. To me the Bandit is my favorite PA plane! i really love it, and there is never a day that i don't take it with me to the field! It will balance fine with the 3s 2200, you do need to move the battery pack forward a little bit.
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:27 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,328 Posts
Quote:
Hi Mr Kamikaze,
I have one flight on my Bandit, no SFG's or VG's on it. To be honest, it wasn't nearly as good as I have read here.
Put them on and try again!!!
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:53 AM
Jan Spatny
Czech republic
Joined Nov 2004
201 Posts
Aerofundan: By moving battery forward you mean moving it into the motor box? Here is photo of my Bandit from the last flight.

SilentPilot: Don't worry, I'll do. I have ordered them today.

Please don't take it as I hate my Bandit. It didn't fly extremely well for the first time, building it took me more wine than I expected, etc... but it looks really good and I like it a lot!
Last edited by HonzaS; Jan 19, 2012 at 09:00 AM. Reason: add photo
Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:52 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,328 Posts
I have not got mine yet, still unsure if I'm getting a Bandit or a Extra MX!

Don't the SFGs and VGs come with the Bandit kit? Didn't realise they were optional extras to be put on afterwards...

The Bandit does seem to need quite a lot of building for an ARF
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:04 AM
Jan Spatny
Czech republic
Joined Nov 2004
201 Posts
Quote:
Didn't realise they were optional extras to be put on afterwards...
Me neither

Yes, it took me a bit more time than usual ARF, that we are used to. And for that kind of money there are some bugs also. For example, left wing doesn't fit to the fuselage properly, there is about 2mm gap between LE and the fuselage. I had to grind slot for the elevator, to make elevator parallel to the wing tube. And some more. Because this is my first PA that I had to build before I crash it (I have flown borrowed Extra MX, Katana MD, Ultimate AMR and Addi X) I expected that the original motor will fit into the original motor mount without modification. Ok, I removed the washer... than I expected that original spinner might fit on the original propeller (14/7 I believe)... Didn't, I had to cut away less than 1mm of carbon... You see, those are small details that make you leave the table and get some more wine.

Jan
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:08 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,328 Posts
More of a Whiskey kind of guy myself, this Bandit might tip me over the edge
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2012, 05:01 PM
Joined Nov 2011
73 Posts
Quote:
For example, left wing doesn't fit to the fuselage properly, there is about 2mm gap between LE and the fuselage.
Hey, you are lucky...I've got a nice gap on both wings at the LE. The instructions mentioned making the wing tube shorter to cure any wing/fuse fit issues...but I still have the gap with just one wing on the plane so the length of the wing tube has no bearing on the problem.

Funny, if you look at M.A.N. review of the plane you can see the gap in his model as well, but I don't believe he mentioned it in the review.
Tmorelock is offline Find More Posts by Tmorelock