HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:43 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
bsbauman's Avatar
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,746 Posts
Mee too !!
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:45 PM
Registered User
NickM91's Avatar
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2009
250 Posts
Just wanted to say how impressed I am with the speed of PA in getting me some spares, less than 24hours from order to at my door.

Put about 30flights through it, going strong. Working on hovering I can hold it for a while. But eventually I over control and fall out of it. Knife edges are good, slowly getting the confidence to fly lower. Awesome plane!
NickM91 is offline Find More Posts by NickM91
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:53 AM
Suspended Account
Australia, NSW, Mascot
Joined Jan 2008
340 Posts
I have put 30 odd flights on mine having a blast of a time with it,
guys i only read a few post from my last post but a suggestion about the canopy cut more slots out the bottom of the plane i cut 2 out
cheers glen
wifpwcf is offline Find More Posts by wifpwcf
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:29 AM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2011
73 Posts
Got my Lipo's in yesterday from Nitro Planes, so I got to "fire" up the Thrust 40.....holy crap! Can't wait to get this thing in the air. Just got to get the servos in on Monday and I can start finalizing things.
Tmorelock is offline Find More Posts by Tmorelock
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:12 AM
Where's my orange kool-aid?
xzuberance's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Apr 2010
714 Posts
524.7w???

Ok. Just ran a static test with the T40, Q45, 2 1300 3s Nanotechs in a series with Vox 14x7

At WOT, my watt meter showed 11.1v, 46.98A and 524.7w. Am I missing something? According to PA's static test data, T40, Q45, Vox 14x7 with the PA 2200 3s gives the following numbers:
425w, 11.19v and 38A.

Granted, the battery is different but I don't think my results should vary that much.

I understand the Q45 can handle a burst current of 55A. However, I am concerned with the T40. According to PA's data sheet, the motor can only handle 45A and 500w peak.

Should I be propping down? It would be a shame to do so as the motor/esc combo should ordinarily be able to handle the Vox 14x7.

Any advice welcome. Thanks in advance.
xzuberance is offline Find More Posts by xzuberance
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:02 AM
Byron C
3DeltaFly's Avatar
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2011
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzuberance View Post
Ok. Just ran a static test with the T40, Q45, 2 1300 3s Nanotechs in a series with Vox 14x7

At WOT, my watt meter showed 11.1v, 46.98A and 524.7w. Am I missing something? According to PA's static test data, T40, Q45, Vox 14x7 with the PA 2200 3s gives the following numbers:
425w, 11.19v and 38A.

Granted, the battery is different but I don't think my results should vary that much.

I understand the Q45 can handle a burst current of 55A. However, I am concerned with the T40. According to PA's data sheet, the motor can only handle 45A and 500w peak.

Should I be propping down? It would be a shame to do so as the motor/esc combo should ordinarily be able to handle the Vox 14x7.

Any advice welcome. Thanks in advance.
Two packs in series would be 6S, so I assume you meant that the packs are connected in parallel, especially since your metering is showing 11.1 VDC.

Some considerations: max. current / power will be less when actually flying. Static load testing will give greater current / power numbers. A test flight with logging the drive system will show the difference.

I'd wager that you're good to go at present. WOT is generally used only for some vertical uplines anyway. Most of the time the Bandit will be loafing around on a few hundred watts of power.

HTH, Byron
3DeltaFly is offline Find More Posts by 3DeltaFly
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:14 AM
Where's my orange kool-aid?
xzuberance's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Apr 2010
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa4geg View Post
Two packs in series would be 6S, so I assume you meant that the packs are connected in parallel, especially since your metering is showing 11.1 VDC.

Some considerations: max. current / power will be less when actually flying. Static load testing will give greater current / power numbers. A test flight with logging the drive system will show the difference.

I'd wager that you're good to go at present. WOT is generally used only for some vertical uplines anyway. Most of the time the Bandit will be loafing around on a few hundred watts of power.

HTH, Byron
Sorry! My bad. Yes, parallel. I understand static test will draw greater current and that it is unlikely I'll draw that much in flight. I was just comparing my numbers to PA's static tests and my results vary greatly. Just a little concerned I guess. Anyway, am still trying to get to the bottom of this. Will be checking prop/spinner for balance/alignment... could help explain higher current draw though I doubt an off balance prop/spinner would result in a 8-9A difference... then again, I could be wrong
xzuberance is offline Find More Posts by xzuberance
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:42 AM
Byron C
3DeltaFly's Avatar
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2011
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzuberance View Post
Sorry! My bad. Yes, parallel. I understand static test will draw greater current and that it is unlikely I'll draw that much in flight. I was just comparing my numbers to PA's static tests and my results vary greatly. Just a little concerned I guess. Anyway, am still trying to get to the bottom of this. Will be checking prop/spinner for balance/alignment... could help explain higher current draw though I doubt an off balance prop/spinner would result in a 8-9A difference... then again, I could be wrong
Yeah, I see what you're saying. H'm, I was looking over the T40 data sheet. PA's numbers with the Vox 14x7 indicate just over a 2A difference between static and flying. Given that your test indicate less than 2A above the max. 45A spec. it looks like you're safe to fly.

Anyway of checking the current calibration of your watt-meter? When mine gets out of cal. it always shows more current than the actual value.

Byron
3DeltaFly is offline Find More Posts by 3DeltaFly
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:03 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2011
73 Posts
FYI...when I did a static test on mine yesterday, T40 with Quantum 45 ESC, 14x7 VOX and 3S 2200 mah Gens Ace battery I showed a max amp of 59.8 and watts max of 666 watts...but that was only a "burst" at the beginning. It settled down to around 43 amps for most of the run and around 440 watts or so. Those measurements were taken from my Watts Up meter.
Tmorelock is offline Find More Posts by Tmorelock
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 08:31 PM
Registered User
NickM91's Avatar
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2009
250 Posts
Nothing special by any means but here is a quick vid i made.

Precision Aerobatics Bandit - Coming to Grips with 3d (3 min 48 sec)


Excuse the poor filming/flying :P
NickM91 is offline Find More Posts by NickM91
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:34 AM
Precision Aerobatics Team
demonGti's Avatar
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Dec 2006
2,044 Posts
super Nick, looks like you're really enjoying your Bandit, and that's the point in'it?
demonGti is offline Find More Posts by demonGti
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:03 AM
Pilot Francis 😄
RCPilot1234's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,762 Posts
Great flying Nick, love the video! Can't wait to get my Bandit soon! The cowl looks so cool on the Bandit!
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:19 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ultimatetwo's Avatar
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,087 Posts
A very cool video Nick กกกกก Tx very much for sharing. It looks that you enjoy with your Bandit.
Manolo.
ultimatetwo is offline Find More Posts by ultimatetwo
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:26 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2011
73 Posts
Anybody got an electronic version of the Bandit manual you could send me @ tmorelock71@gmail.com? I managed to lose mine somehow and I need to wrap up the installation of my servos and control linkages. I emailed PA about it but figured I might find someone here that had it.
Tmorelock is offline Find More Posts by Tmorelock
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:28 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ultimatetwo's Avatar
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Thanks, yes, epoxy is a good option... One trick on the wheel spindles that you might want to consider. i hate wobbly wheels and the PA method of having plastic wheels that run directly on the threads of a bolt is pretty poor IMHO. It's a shame PA don't use proper machines wheel spindel like some other manufacturers. After half a dozen flights and the wheels wobble all over the place. The way I fixed this on my recent PA build was to take a bit of (4mm OD from memory) brass tube, cut a piece just slightly longer than the wheel hub width and sliped this over the axle. The wheel hub then needs to be reamed/drilled out to fit over the tube, there was enough 'meat' in the hub to do this without any problem. the retaining nut then is added 'nipping' the brass tube solid to the axle and allowing the wheel to spin on a good smooth bearing surface. Your wheels now don't wobble and last for ages.

Steve
Tx very much for your kind words and support Steve. I just did your wheels axles mods, but instead of brass tube y used teflon tube and drilled the hubs to 4mm. as you said. Also I installed the carbon fairings with a little mods too, using a 4.40 allen head screw and inside the fairing a self tapping nut. Outside the screw with the blue anodized washer looks cool, at least for me.
I reinforced just in case the motor box, and also I installed the washers on the holding motor fairing screws too...
http://www.acro3d.com/public/phpbb3/...13106&start=30
ultimatetwo is offline Find More Posts by ultimatetwo
Last edited by ultimatetwo; Jan 16, 2012 at 03:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Precision Aerobatics Addiction X Official thread / Video just posted!!! aerofundan 3D Flying 5064 Today 03:59 PM
Discussion Anyone else wish Precision Aerobatics would make a larger electric 3D monoplane! Neil_SC 3D Flying 19 Sep 24, 2014 12:14 PM
Wanted Precision Aerobatics Katana MD or Precision Aerobatics Mini Katana mixer911 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 5 Jul 16, 2009 01:52 PM
Found 3d hobbyshop/precision aerobatics/greatplanes**3d yak/suk/katana/edge/extra helifryer Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 10 May 20, 2009 10:13 PM
Discussion Precision Aerobatics How To Series, 3D Aerobatics & Repair Guide aerofundan 3D Flying 22 Jan 03, 2009 10:52 AM