Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:30 AM
Pants Up, Don't Loot!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Amusing story . . .
Great, you ruined a perfectly good opportunity for us to freely say "horses ass" here on LTUP.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:54 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_Flyer View Post
Great, you ruined a perfectly good opportunity for us to freely say "horses ass" here on LTUP.
Do those who frequent LTUP need a good opportunity for that?

perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Old Mar 31, 2011, 09:25 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Amusing story, which is probably the main reason it stays alive

""""
The only problem with this story is that none of it is true, except the fact that the standard U.S. railroad track gauge today is indeed 4 feet 8-1/2 inches.
The Roman legions that conquered the ancient western world were made up primarily of armored infantry supported by cavalry, light infantry, archers, and engineers. The Roman legions never used the technologically inferior chariot.
The other aspect of this standardization urban legend that is pure fiction is the suggestion that the standard track gauge in the U.S. has always been 4 feet 8-1/2 inches.
""""
https://standards.nasa.gov/documents/RomanChariots.pdf

Also:
http://www.snopes.com/history/american/gauge.asp

Well, after the Trojans ecsaped from their burning city, they settled, and assimilated, eventually, in the land of king Latinus, and brought to them their military techniques, which would have included chariots. The Aenid (Virgil), and other sources tell us this, so it's not much of a stretch to believe the story, which, if true could bring our measurement back as far as the Trojans and the Ancient Greeks. I see no evidence in the links provided to contradict the "Horses Ass" theory although there is ample evidence of "horses' asses" around here.
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:19 AM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop View Post
I'd like to have one of these nifty anvils:
I got some of those. I could send you one, but shipping would be over the top.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Mar 31, 2011, 01:18 PM
Ol' Deadeye
Lubbock,TX
Joined Aug 2005
124 Posts
Quote:
I'd like to have one of these nifty anvils:
Serious? I made the small one (70 or 90# rail) some years ago for my dad. I started the larger one (136# rail) for myself. After dad passed away I just use the small one. You can see what the large one weighs and it still needs some serious grinding but you could finish shaping it as you wish. The rough cutting has lightened it a good bit.
PM me.

Rail size is expressed in Pounds per Yard.
Dusty Puddles is offline Find More Posts by Dusty Puddles
Old Mar 31, 2011, 05:16 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62pilot View Post
I got some of those. I could send you one, but shipping would be over the top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Puddles View Post
Serious? I made the small one (70 or 90# rail) some years ago for my dad. I started the larger one (136# rail) for myself. After dad passed away I just use the small one. You can see what the large one weighs and it still needs some serious grinding but you could finish shaping it as you wish. The rough cutting has lightened it a good bit.
PM me.

Rail size is expressed in Pounds per Yard.
Man, I wondered what that meant, I used to see trains full of rail go by when I lived next to the tracks, even at 90 lbs. per yard, sheesh, lots of steel.

When I say I want one, I want lots of stuff I don't need. But you guys are great for offering. Thanks! Admire might be a better word.

I admire things that are salvaged, for other uses. I do have a fairly small anvil, and a big machinist vise with a big flat area on it for pounding, so I haven't really needed something else.

One of the cool things I know of was the NW Indians started making their adzes out of old car leaf springs. A company took that idea (Flexcut) and started making chisels, knives and such for woodworking out of spring steel, which is tough and holds an edge real well, basically, a little honing with a leather wheel and some compound is all that is needed to keep them razor sharp. I have a couple of their carving knives.

But I think there are a lot of us on here who have that admiration for making something useful from something free or real cheap. I think it runs with the not throwing things away and collecting junk that others throw away thing.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:05 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,774 Posts
Quote:
Man, I wondered what that meant, I used to see trains full of rail go by when I lived next to the tracks, even at 90 lbs. per yard, sheesh, lots of steel.

Somewhere Wile E Coyote is keeping an eye out for the sky now.

Quote:
I do have a fairly small anvil
Maybe you could use it for horseshoeing miniature ponies ?.

Quote:
One of the cool things I know of was the NW Indians started making their adzes out of old car leaf springs.

I wonder what they'd do with a fiberglass spring from a Corvette ?.

Quote:
I think it runs with the not throwing things away and collecting junk that others throw away thing.

Kind of like saving the Email from the 1st post ?.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:13 PM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
I am thinking about all that stuff because I now, finally, after almost two years of procrastination, absolutely have a deadline on moving my shop from a 760 sq. ft. building to a 400 sq. footer.

And there is stuff under the shop and under the house and in a couple storage closets....

Garage sale in June, if not sooner.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 09:04 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,312 Posts
Quote:
I am thinking about all that stuff because I now, finally, after almost two years of procrastination, absolutely have a deadline on moving my shop from a 760 sq. ft. building to a 400 sq. footer.

And there is stuff under the shop and under the house and in a couple storage closets....

Garage sale in June, if not sooner.

Call those guys from American Picker!!
Old Mar 31, 2011, 09:14 PM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Call those guys from American Picker!!
What, are they like TV garage sale guys?

I saw one show where these folks went in and did an estate sale. I forgot what it was called.

My ex is selling off quite a ton of stuff, she has things I wouldn't mind having, but cannot afford, like an almost new $600 Honda mower. Someone will likely get that at great discount. Plus there are probably a lot of things I might get for free, maybe!, like her sewing machine would be nice to have. She also has some old B&W darkroom equipment and I have tons of old B&W negatives. Of course it isn't like I don't already have two lifetimes of projects to do.

She is going to move whatever she keeps to CA and store it, so I told her, she should pare down to the bare minimum she just has to keep, as she hasn't used any of the stuff for a year, so doesn't really have a need for it.

I should probably look at it like if I didn't use any of that stuff for twenty years, while we were married, I probably don't need any of it. I would like to have a cash infusion though, from hopefully selling some of my stuff.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 09:20 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,312 Posts
American Pickers (History Channel) look for cool old stuff, and then buy it off 'ya.

I hope you don't plan to make any money with a garage sale! You have to practically give things away! I just did that recently so I wouldn't have so much stuff to move. Man, it was painful!! lol!! You'd be better off selling it all on e-bay, if you have the time and inclination!
Old Mar 31, 2011, 09:34 PM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
American Pickers (History Channel) look for cool old stuff, and then buy it off 'ya.

I hope you don't plan to make any money with a garage sale! You have to practically give things away! I just did that recently so I wouldn't have so much stuff to move. Man, it was painful!! lol!! You'd be better off selling it all on e-bay, if you have the time and inclination!
Well, I have a plan, some of the things I want to sell, are plywood and maybe some lumber, as I bought quite a bit of stuff when I worked selling that stuff, a few pieces have become quite more valuable than they were when I bought them, plus I sold woodworking tools, same story, had all sorts of things too cheap to pass up, things they had in the back of the warehouse, and I have to get rid of some of it, so I am going to post a flyer at the store where I used to work, so should get some woodworkers over there.

I am going to move everything I want to keep, then have the sale. I am not going to give anything away. If it doesn't sell, I will try the ebay route, or put notices for the individual items at the store and wait it out.

My ex is the one that is going to have to make the tough decisions. I imagine storage in CA is high, just like the real estate.

She is pretty good at it though, she was very helpful in selling my mom's stuff, and after one weekend, I was ready to toss the towel in but she kept it going. Of course it wasn't her stuff she has carted around the globe for 35 years.