HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Darren Hintze, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:24 AM
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,692 Posts
Discussion
Flying Highlights from Winter 2011

Here's a musical compilation of video shot from combat and formation flying sessions for our UFO group between Jan and Mar 2011.

Winter Flying 2011 (3 min 50 sec)
Darren Hintze is offline Find More Posts by Darren Hintze
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:51 AM
Cumming, GA USA
Joined Jan 2011
222 Posts
Video

Pretty cool video bro. I remember about 10 yrs ago when I was flying a pylon racer at about 130 mph a trainer plane got in my path and took me out....of course he went down too. My pylon racer went right thru his wing and split it in half. As pissed off as I was it was a pretty amazing thing to watch.
warwickcorvette1 is offline Find More Posts by warwickcorvette1
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:54 AM
Tight is Right
Joined Dec 2001
7,692 Posts
Our group tends to go right to the "amazing thing to watch" when it comes to destroying stuff.

Particularly if we get it on film.

Thanks for the shout out!
Old Mar 30, 2011, 12:41 PM
Cumming, GA USA
Joined Jan 2011
222 Posts
Just curious, I saw a bunch of Nitroplanes/Airfield warbirds in the video. I flew nitro gas warbirds (I have 8 nitro gas planes) in the 10lb range for years before getting into electric 6 months ago. Now I have a fleet of Parkzone (PZ) warbirds and love them. The P-47 is amazing with the retracts and flies perfecly with the power 15 motor. But...it did come close to $400 after putting in the retracts. My question is......how is the quality of the Airfield warbirds? It seems to me you get a lot more for your money even if you have to do some modifications to your liking. I saw the Mustang in the video. I do have the Guanli brushless PBY (from Nitroplanes) which I bought for $109 and although it required some mods to get it right it was a bargain to say the least. It flies great with the stock motors (I did use my own spektrum radio and receiver as part of the mod).
Old Mar 30, 2011, 01:28 PM
Tight is Right
Joined Dec 2001
7,692 Posts
We love the Airfield planes. They are inexpensive, they fly great, look really nice from 10' and farther, and they are rugged. We've had 5 go down in fairly serious accidents (you saw the one hit the pole in the video) and ALL FIVE were down less than two weeks with repairs.

We buy the ARF or KIT versions then put 770Kv, 600W motors on them (similar to E-flight power 32).

I'm a converted gasser myself.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 01:36 PM
Cumming, GA USA
Joined Jan 2011
222 Posts
Thanks bro. I know the airframes are very inexpensive and I had a feeling the motors were beefed up to power 32's but just wanted to check. That new Corsair from Nitroplanes looks badass in the video. Converted gassers like you and I know the upgraded power is priceless and since the airframes are so low cost, it is the way to go.

Thanks and happy flying!! Gonna go fly my P-47 and Corsair now....wind is 4mph...priceless
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:34 AM
United States, UT, Saratoga Springs
Joined Apr 2011
6 Posts
Hey Darren I just wanted to say thanks for your help this past Friday! You were so nice to offer your help and expertise to me and my family. I took your advice and about the transmitter and bought a dx6i, and next time I will actually make a flight out of my p-51. I look forward to coming and flying more with you and the others some time! Thanks again! - Josh Karr
DEFKARR is offline Find More Posts by DEFKARR
Old Apr 24, 2011, 09:30 AM
Tight is Right
Joined Dec 2001
7,692 Posts
Glad you found us Josh!

Here's the thread where we plan our flying times and locations:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...335791&page=56