HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:37 AM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Discussion
Aurora 9 or Spektrum DX8 ?

Well, time is close where I need to consider a good TX instead of the RTF cheapies

The Quadcopters I'm looking to get are proven to work well with the Aurora but it seems the Spektrum is more commonly used by heli pilots

I need to be able to use it with Phoenix Flight Sim as well as current helis and the pending Quad

It's all a bit confusing to me at the moment though and don't want to shell out good money on something that will later on be redundant

They're both priced very similar

I'm thinking beyond 6ch as I may well need to control a camera on 2/3 axis at some point by using a switch or dial

So what do you experienced folk think ?
TeeJayBee is offline Find More Posts by TeeJayBee
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:07 AM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
I'd go with the Dx8 for purely customer service. I'd to return a few servos to Hitec for repair and was charged for the repair. I returned servos, rx, and tx to Horizon and have yet to pay a dime for the repair/replacement. My expenses were the cost of shipping the item(s) to Horizon.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:34 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2007
569 Posts
This is down to personal preference.
I own and like the Aurora 9
-2 sliders + 3 other ones I don't know how they work
-Out of the box it works with Phoenix
-http://www.toddsmodels.com/Aurora_9_...p/hrcj9100.htm good price.

I do not know enough about the DX8 to comment on them
ToxicBanana is offline Find More Posts by ToxicBanana
Old Mar 30, 2011, 01:44 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
DX8 works with Phoenix too. The two radios are really very similar in terms of features and capability, but I would say the Aurora is slightly better quality. However, over the long term, I think will be easier to 'live with' the Spektrum system. It's not just about the radio itself - you need to figure how it will fit in with your future plans. Add up the cost of 5-10 receivers and see where you end up...
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Mar 30, 2011, 02:18 PM
Joined Dec 2007
569 Posts
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAUHY&P=ML with 016LA Coupon $105 bucks or $35 each.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 02:26 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
But the regular price is the same as the comparable Spektrum receiver at regular price. Although - you'd be a fool to pay regular prices.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXCY4&P=ML
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...dID=SPMAR6110E

Again - the technology and features are the same when you compare these two systems. With the Aurora you get an extra channel, a little better ergonomic design, and slightly better quality sticks and case, but you are using a NEW radio which people in your area may not be familiar with. The Aurora really compares better to the JR 9503.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 02:55 PM
Joined Dec 2007
569 Posts
That was an issue for me, no one had a clue about my aurora 9, and to buddy box I had to by an optic 6 sport, which after discounts and deals was only $80 bucks.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 04:25 PM
Joined Dec 2007
569 Posts
http://www.allerc.com/hitec-aurora-9...er-p-4894.html -10% off with Yahoo10 or Google10 code, $347usd includes the radio and one Optima 7 reciever then an additional free Optima 7 from www.allerc.com then yet another free Optima 7 from Hitec.

This is a great deal IMO.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:27 PM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
People, people
I'm in the UK, import taxes and fees make anything brought in from the US 1.5 x the price, not to mention the extortionate shipping charges many US dealers require

I can get the Aurora 9 tx and 9 channel rx over here for 280 ($449), our prices are always higher here, but once you add import charges it's often cheaper for us to buy here or from China
TeeJayBee is offline Find More Posts by TeeJayBee
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:41 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
You need to compare it with the local prices on the Spektrum stuff too. I'm on the fence really - I don't know what I would get if I had to start all over again today, but I'm still leaning to the Spektrum side a bit, simply because it is more popular. It's like the whole Mac/Windows thing - there's good reasons to use something simply because it's more common, even if it's not better. And it's really hard to say that either radio is really better than the other.
Old Apr 02, 2011, 11:45 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,197 Posts
I think that the Spektrum manuals are becoming easier to understand which translates to easier programming for differential ailerons, 3 position flaps with elevator offsets, various mixes and other nice to have features. Hitec seems to have problems making instructions clear and complete. I am using my old Hitec Eclipse 7 with a 2.4ghz module and Optima series receivers. From what I have read, the Aurora instructions and programming procedures are still not easy to follow without a lot of past expeience with high performance aerobatic or sailplane programming . Hitec has always been prompt and reasonable about repairs/replacements although Spektrum may try a little harder. RC radio manufacturers are still somewhat behind in writing instructions pertinent to electric powered models.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Apr 06, 2011, 10:47 PM
Granby,Quebec,Canada
Joined Aug 2009
145 Posts
Hi,i'm considering changing my dx6i this spring...but cannot make up my mind on which to buy...the JR 11x is also one i am considering...but a bit more expensive...
*Voodoo* is offline Find More Posts by *Voodoo*