HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2011, 06:27 AM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,368 Posts
Build Log
Tomahawk Futura 1.9m EDF conversion (Ramtec/Scorpion) VIDEO ADDED POST 98

Confirmed that my Futura is shipping to me today. I'm hoping it'll be a fairly rapid build. Ali Machinchy built a regular turbine version in 5 days flat! Need to make a decision on the fan. 127mm obviously. Have I missed any vendor of fan/motor that will give 20lbs thrust?

Xtreme Power Systems
Sapac
Schuebeler

Any input appreciated.
DominicM is offline Find More Posts by DominicM
Last edited by DominicM; Jun 04, 2011 at 07:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2011, 06:29 AM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,368 Posts
For those not familiar with the Futura more details can be found here. It's one of those love it or hate it type models. I chose it based on its aerobatic potential (as demonstrated by Ali in a video I edited together for him) and that it has the requirements for EDF conversion in terms of intake, exhaust and space for fan/motor and lipos.

http://www.tomahawk-design.de/?page_id=194

Tomahawk 1.9m Futura flown by Ali Machinchy (Als Hobbies) (3 min 25 sec)
Old Mar 30, 2011, 06:37 AM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,825 Posts
Man they are so ugly I like them for some reason. I got to see at florida jets just how rugged the big ones are. I saw one flame out and smack the ground and didnt see any damage to it. Ans they fly very well.
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:34 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,190 Posts
I think there kind of cool looking. I thought the ones with woody and buzz light year were sweet! I showed my kids those pictures and they loved it!
Ali is such a great pilot, I watch him at california jets a few years ago... amazing! Loved the knife edge circle to knife edge loop

As far as fans go, you really need to know the FSA and exhaust size. Does it have stock ducts or do you plane to make new ducts?

If it has good stock ducts (which is as rare as chickens teeth) then you could just make an adaptor to the fan.

If it has poor ducts, that are a bit small. I would suggest the DS-94 HST with it's bellmouth. This is the setup I have put in my Jetlegend Hawk. I have yet to fly it, but from all reports it should go really well.

It will do best with a 100mm to 105 mm exhaust size.... so get the plane first, take pictures and measurement then everyone can help you make an educated decision.

That's the best way to do it
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Mar 30, 2011, 01:24 PM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101 View Post
As far as fans go, you really need to know the FSA and exhaust size. Does it have stock ducts or do you plane to make new ducts?
I got the intake, exhaust and mounting dimensions from Ali before I made the order Ron so I know the XPS fan will work. I'll share them when I get the airframe and re-measure them myself. You don't make this type of purchase unless you can theoretically predict it'll be close to turbine performance (albeit for shorter flight times). No ducting but I'm fortunate to have couple of guys who are a whizz with 3D CAD who can help me in that department so I can work up a closed system if I go that route.

Was more after any other 127mm fan vendors I had not considered? Top end...not bottom end (e.g. Haoye or HobbyKing ).
Old Mar 30, 2011, 02:00 PM
still trying to get it right
benelux
Joined Feb 2009
680 Posts
How about a Ramtec/scorpion combo? 395 euros post paid to you from France so no duty or extras etc. They will give 20lb on 12 cells
yakhakker is offline Find More Posts by yakhakker
Old Mar 30, 2011, 02:17 PM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,312 Posts
Subscribed!
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Mar 30, 2011, 02:24 PM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,008 Posts
WTH...did you see how slow that thing landed. That is crazy for a plane that size. Must have an awesome airfoil or low wing-loading.

Can't wait to see how your project goes. Best of luck.
sbritton is online now Find More Posts by sbritton
Old Mar 30, 2011, 03:12 PM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakhakker View Post
How about a Ramtec/scorpion combo? 395 euros post paid to you from France so no duty or extras etc. They will give 20lb on 12 cells
Thanks. I'll look it up.
Old Apr 01, 2011, 05:15 AM
who dares wins
London,England
Joined Apr 2005
1,765 Posts
I like the Martini paint job!
like2fly! is offline Find More Posts by like2fly!
Old Apr 01, 2011, 07:04 AM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like2fly! View Post
I like the Martini paint job!
Its all vinyl actually. Expertly done by Duncan of Auto Creative.

http://www.aero-creative.com
Last edited by DominicM; Apr 01, 2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old Apr 01, 2011, 02:15 PM
Omaha, NE
Joined Jun 2004
216 Posts
I'd like to know what it weighs when you get it.
Also is the BVM fan not a candidate?

Jim
Lear45 is offline Find More Posts by Lear45
Old Apr 01, 2011, 02:37 PM
who dares wins
London,England
Joined Apr 2005
1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchit View Post
Its all vinyl actually. Expertly done by Duncan of Auto Creative.

http://www.aero-creative.com
Very cool! What a great idea, like a vinly car wrap?

If you want to change design down the line for another you can quite easily i guess?

Are you going to wrap yours?

Alex
like2fly! is offline Find More Posts by like2fly!
Old Apr 02, 2011, 05:12 AM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,368 Posts
I'm certainly looking at that option. It costs about Ģ1K to do a car so you wouldn't have thought it would be that much for a relatively small jet and then again not the whole thing. Maybe just the wings and part of the fuselage. No idea what type of design I'd go for though. Any ideas welcome.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 03:15 PM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,368 Posts
My kit arrived today. Quick dry fit when I got home. All looks good. I'll weigh everything at the weekend so I can figure out projected AUW and make a decision on whether to go XPS Dynamax/Hacker fan or Ramtec/Scorpion fan. Intakes have not been cut but there is plenty of scope to make them as large as necessary.