Old Mar 29, 2011, 07:21 AM
Homo Modelicus
Hungary
Joined Jan 2005
686 Posts
Question
What's the type of this airplane

Hi all,

I purchased some orignal K.u.K World War One photos. I've identified almost all except this one. The comment on the rear side is this: Albatros 1914. The fin of the plane is the same as the Albatros DD (B.I). The wings are very similar to the Albatros B.I(Ph) (modified German B.II).

Balázs
BaZsiX is offline Find More Posts by BaZsiX
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2011, 02:49 PM
Charles Sherman
Victoria BC
Joined Sep 2009
277 Posts
Interesting. The shape of the fuse and control wires has a lot in common with the BE2. If you hadn't said Albatros, I would have guessed it was an early BE2 prototype.

Maybe the Brits took some inspiration from whatever this is.
csherman is offline Find More Posts by csherman
Old Mar 29, 2011, 03:45 PM
Homo Modelicus
Hungary
Joined Jan 2005
686 Posts
I'm sure about that this is an Austro-Hungarian plane. I think the photo was taken in the Wiener Neustadt airfield in 1914. I have two other photos (with an Albatros DD) and the fence is the same. So maybe this is a photo series.

The fin is typical early german airplane fin: Albatros B, Aviatik B. You are right the shape of the cockpit is similar to Be2.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 05:58 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,609 Posts
Aviatik B Type? The tail surface shapes and those brace struts look right for it to be a very close relative of the B1.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Mar 29, 2011, 06:05 PM
Joined Aug 2006
416 Posts
I couldn't find any plane with the unique outboard interplane struts, angling up to the top wing. I'm stumped!
phoran is offline Find More Posts by phoran
Old Mar 29, 2011, 06:10 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,609 Posts
I compared it against the photos and drawings in the Aviatik B types Datafile. Most have those great fuselage side radiators, but not all. All do have those diagonal struts though.

Pete
Old Mar 29, 2011, 08:39 PM
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
640 Posts
You might find some information here. http://www.wwi-models.org/index.html
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:25 PM
lake orion mi
Joined Sep 2002
949 Posts
Looks like a variation of the Albatros B1
mistairjoe is online now Find More Posts by mistairjoe
Old Mar 30, 2011, 06:28 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,609 Posts
The more I look at this one, the more puzzled I become. There are points that look totally Aviatik, but others that just don't look German/Austo Hungarian at all. The tip struts are all Aviatik BI, as are the tail shapes and overall appearance. The thing that doesn't fit, and isn't a particularly Germanic feature are the upright c/s struts. Most B and C types featured an inverted V trestle strut arrangement.
The deckings have a distinctly Aviatik/Berg look about them
The peculiarities, plus the absence of markings might indicate that it's a pre-war machine, or possibly a factory prototype.
It would make a nice. simple model though.

Pete
Old Mar 30, 2011, 06:32 AM
Buffalo,MN
Joined Dec 2005
1,301 Posts
I like it, I could see myself building something like that on down the road once my current projects are done.
Dan Parson is offline Find More Posts by Dan Parson
Old Mar 30, 2011, 06:45 AM
Homo Modelicus
Hungary
Joined Jan 2005
686 Posts
Pete,

yes, maybe you are right but on the vertical stabilizer I see the decal of the Albatros Flugzeugwerk (near the rudder).

I can agree with you about that this is a prewar plane. Maybe a prototype. The front of the UC connect to the fuselage side. The K.u.K used both German designed Albatros B versions. The German B.I was almost the same but on the B.II (B.I(Ph)) was made a lot of changes. Modified wings, rudder, etc. Maybe this was the test plane of the newly designed wings.

Balázs
Last edited by BaZsiX; Mar 30, 2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 07:25 AM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,012 Posts
Is the engine an Argus? Certainly the exhaust stubs have a rather Germanic look about them.

Martin
Martin Irvine is offline Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old Apr 22, 2011, 12:31 PM
Homo Modelicus
Hungary
Joined Jan 2005
686 Posts
Hi all,

Finally I've identifyed this airplane (the seller was helped me, and I found some information). This is a prototype, designed by Ernst Heinkel in late 1913. Only one specimen was built. The photo was taken in Wiener Neustadt. The name of this kind of wing configuration was "Knoller wing". The later built Phönix Albatros B.I serials from 21.51-66 looked like this protoype.

Balazs