Old Mar 29, 2011, 06:41 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Build Log
Peter Rake 67" Bristol F2b build

G'day all,

with the Pfalz done and dusted it is time to get started on my favourite WWI bird, the Biff. with Maltone having successfully built and flown the beautiful prototype last year i figured i would have a crack myself. my first 2 builds were pretty basic, so the plan is to add a lot more detail to this build such as a cockpit, rib stitching, lacing ect. i will sort of be cheating i know, but i will be following Pat's build process pretty much word for word, apart from being in my own jumbled order . Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery as they say, so i would be mad not too!
the kit arrived a few days back from Manzano's, and bloody nice it is too, fast service, great packaging, beautiful wood, and cutting, oh and there is lots of it!
i decided to warm up by making the tail plane and fin, gave me a chance to have another go at laminating which i quite enjoy. made up some forms for both, stripped down a pile of balsa and got started, they both came out quite well, i framed them up but have not separated the individual components yet as i still have to surface sand them down to the 1/4'' profile, and add the slight airfoil to each.
figured i would then have a bit of a go at the fuselage, i opened up the slots a bit so as the formers would fit, laminated the forward and tail sections ensuring they were left and right handed. i framed up the first one over the plan, and then flipped it and built the second straight over the top of the first. that is about it for this week, time to go back to work and ponder the finer details of the build, oh and a power system, if i recall Vintage 1 designed a scale prop for Pat's build, i like the sound of that, just have to sort out a motor /battery combo to make it feasible. also want to sort out a theme aircraft, am thinking of either Kingsford-Smith's, or Hudson- Fyshe, both of which were in an Aussie F2b squadron in Palestine.....mmm!
as usual any tips, and balls ups you see don't be shy in pointing them out

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2011, 03:16 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,780 Posts
Good to see another one on the board Craig I'll keep an eye and learn when you do something better! It is an intimidating build (sort of) but take it slowly and all will be well. Only advice from mine is to keep the tail weight minimal. When I get back to my second, simpler version, I'm tempted to use Litespan on the rear end parts - I hated adding lots of weight up front.

Subscribed...Pat
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2011, 03:24 PM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Cheers Pat, i am tempted to go with litespan everywhere, or do you think she is a bit to big for that, and maybe it's not robust enough considering the wings are designed to be disassembled for transport?

Craig
Old Mar 29, 2011, 03:32 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,780 Posts
I am reassured that Hammered has used Litespan (or equiv) for his bigger models - sure it is a bit fragile but as long as it sitting on top of rose-bush prunings in the car, it should be OK
Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2011, 03:39 PM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Too true, from memory he has used tissue for the current Albi, and that's no peanut scale

Cheers mate
Old Mar 29, 2011, 06:06 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,651 Posts
Craig,
The stuff Hammerd is using on the DVa is actually a form of Litespan type material - Airspan if you buy it by trade name. It's the same basic stuff, but has to be sealed to make it airtight. IIRC, it's some form of polyester tissue.

Looking forward to your build.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Mar 29, 2011, 07:32 PM
Perth WA
Joined Feb 2007
1,038 Posts
Good luck with the build - you've made a good start!
Simon
Modelholic is offline Find More Posts by Modelholic
Old Mar 29, 2011, 07:38 PM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,333 Posts
Craig, this is great. You guys down under must have a lot of free time to tackle these monster builds. Watching with great interest, Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Mar 29, 2011, 07:51 PM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Cheers all, I won't be a quick build but it will be completed, I am sort of lucky in that I work away week on week off, so like Pat I am sort of retired but only every 2nd week

Cheers
Craig
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:13 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,648 Posts
I like Airspan and Litespan. If I am painting I like Airspan and I have a ton of the white stuff.

FWIW, if you cover using Pete's method, ie, applying the Balsaloc to the material, then the Balsaloc does a good job of sealing it.

Not sure I would use it on a plane that large, but, no reason it won't work. Doped tissue was used for a long time on big stuff.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Mar 30, 2011, 12:36 PM
lake orion mi
Joined Sep 2002
972 Posts
Is Airspan stronger then Litespan? Joe
mistairjoe is online now Find More Posts by mistairjoe
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:57 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,780 Posts
Joe - to the best of my knowledge, Airspan is the same stuff as Litespan but without the coating - ie. it is unsealed and needs dope or similar.

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 31, 2011, 03:43 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,436 Posts
I think I will be using Polyspan when I do one of these beasties. Sure adds a lot of rigidity to an airframe.
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:53 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,648 Posts
Pat is right, Airspan and Litespan are the same material with Litespan being sealed from the factory. Airspan can be easily sealed with a coal of Krylon clear.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Mar 31, 2011, 09:36 PM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
I think I will wait until I am back at home so I can download some nice hi-res images of the shuttleworth Biff. That way I can see what will give me the best match texture wise.

Cheers
Craig