HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2012, 06:50 AM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
942 Posts
Looks great!
you could just to it around like that and it would look killer! Those cranes are really well done. I look forward to seeing the progress on this one again!
Cheers
G-O
Guard-Officer is online now Find More Posts by Guard-Officer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:03 AM
Kamloops BC Can.
Joined Jan 2008
624 Posts
Thanks all,
I built the cranes so that some day down the road I may be able to get them working to some extent. Future project. Understand from Ron Burchett that a lot of trial and error is required for the dumping.
Norm
Olscuzbut is offline Find More Posts by Olscuzbut
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:14 AM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,846 Posts
This will look outstanding in the water! I'm looking forward to seeing the details on your ballast tank.
RGinCanada is offline Find More Posts by RGinCanada
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:11 AM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,658 Posts
that log barge has turned out pretty nice looking right out of the shipyard. Like Umis sudgestion as it will be in some " white water" conditions....
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:42 PM
Ladysmith Vancouver Island
Joined Feb 2008
577 Posts
I wish I could have gotten a shot of the large barge today... not for any detail ... but it was dark .. mini blizzard of vision obscuring ... and all you could see in the bay was the blazing lights of the barge

unfortunately I was also on the highway trying to navigate the people that freak out when the ground turns white.

the model turned out great.
Reckless is offline Find More Posts by Reckless
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:53 AM
Joined Feb 2008
577 Posts
managed to catch it this morning... as I mentioned before my camera kinda sucks for capturing detail that far off

but here ya go, comming back down after dumping...

and again as I said before .. I can damn near watch it from my front porch depending where they place it

if theres any working details you want from the RC side... I can harass Ron the next time I see him(he's hard to track down and hold down in one place) ... maybe coerse him into letting me get up close picks of his build in person.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 03:50 PM
Kamloops BC Can.
Joined Jan 2008
624 Posts
Final painting

Thanks Reckless for the pics. Do you know which barge it is in the pic? As you can see, I have retained the old Rivtow colours. Got all of the painting done and even scuffed up the deck a bit to simulate the log spill. Couldn't find a close up of the actual log grapples, so just sort of guessed at what they look like. After some sea trials, and ballasting, will start on the flooding tanks. When I talked with Ron B. he said there was a lot of trial and error time spent getting the flooding and tipping right. Won't fit in my bathtub, so may have to build a tank in the basement, or spend a lot of time at the pond when the ice goes out.
Old Feb 01, 2012, 10:31 PM
Model trains, Rc Boats, Rc air
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2009
385 Posts
Great looking cranes
6789boat is offline Find More Posts by 6789boat
Old Feb 01, 2012, 11:22 PM
Joined Feb 2008
577 Posts
sorry dunno which one it was... that was full zoom on my camera.

also recently found out that I won't be seeing Ron anytime soon.. LOL he moved off the Island to Vancouver while I've been off/out of work ... I used to work on his and his son's vehicles.

looks good! ... the tilt and dump portion a pump and tank would be the easiest... make the inside 2 halfs... fill one half with foam... then about 2/3rds of the other side a tank.. or bladder like the RCAB sub's use ..

ofcourse if the inside is sealed up... don't need the foam in the other side then I guess...
Old Feb 04, 2012, 10:16 PM
Tugs Rule!!
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Nov 2007
220 Posts
Awesome
tugs53 is offline Find More Posts by tugs53
Old May 06, 2012, 05:41 PM
Kamloops BC Can.
Joined Jan 2008
624 Posts
Sea trials

Was hoping to get the barge in the water today to check for leaks before I installed the ballast tank. Got to the pond, but the water level was way down making it impossible to launch from our launch platform. City is supposed to top up the pond, but as usual with all beurocratic promises, it hasn't got done yet. Have been down at the yard waste recycle scooping up armfuls of tree branches to make my logs. As you can see from the pics, I am going to be making a lot of trips to the recycle. Will take more time to fill that sucker up than it took to build it.

Norm
Old May 07, 2012, 01:54 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,658 Posts
looking like a log barge now
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old May 07, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,382 Posts
Looks great. Very nicely done. I can't imagine all the work that went into those cranes.

I just saw a picture in Western Mariner of a couple log barges going to China as scrap.
Tugboat Andy is offline Find More Posts by Tugboat Andy
Old May 08, 2012, 11:47 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,694 Posts
Man, that's awesome looking!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old May 09, 2012, 08:28 AM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olscuzbut View Post
I am going to be making a lot of trips to the recycle. Will take more time to fill that sucker up than it took to build it.
Any orchards or tree nursery's near you?
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat