HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2011, 09:37 PM
Kamloops BC Can.
Joined Jan 2008
610 Posts
Discussion
Logging barge build

Started my barge build a couple of weeks back. Hope to finish before rigger mortis sets in. 152 cm long 36 cm wide. Got to try get some close up detail pics this summer when on Vancouver Island. Not much on the web. Working from a small line drawing I found on one of the web sites.
Olscuzbut is offline Find More Posts by Olscuzbut
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2011, 09:50 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,238 Posts
I am very intereted in the ballasting.

My flat barge could roll and dump, but I had issues getting it back on the level.

Aimee
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:14 PM
Parker, Colorado
Joined Sep 2008
498 Posts
Looks awesome
stewmeat95 is offline Find More Posts by stewmeat95
Old Mar 29, 2011, 01:40 AM
nick 30
Joined May 2009
2,790 Posts
i used sand in the bottom of my barge, pretty much full half way up the hull, does'nt rock 'n' roll

looking good so far, be great to see the finished product
nick30head is offline Find More Posts by nick30head
Old Mar 29, 2011, 03:50 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,238 Posts
Nick,

The barge is supposed to "roll", then rock back...

Log barge dump (3 min 1 sec)

Old Mar 29, 2011, 07:18 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,752 Posts
Olscuzbut, that drawing reveals a lot more about that type of barge than first meets the casual eye. Definitely a good start with just that bit of information---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:58 PM
Parker, Colorado
Joined Sep 2008
498 Posts
Aimee, that is probably the scariest thing ive seen.

-Austin
stewmeat95 is offline Find More Posts by stewmeat95
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:11 PM
Kamloops BC Can.
Joined Jan 2008
610 Posts
Hi Kap, as mentioned, not much detail on that drawing, but get the general idea where the heavy stuff goes.
Aimee, I talked with Ron Burchett at the Munroe RC modelers show and he gave me a few tips. As for the ballast tipping tank, he said to mount it just under the top deck so that after the logs dump, the barge will be high enough out of the water for the balast tank to drain off if the drain line is at the bottom of the tank. Makes sense. Will use a 12v RV water pump to flood the tank quickly and a smaller dia. drain pipe to drain off the tank after dumping. Biggest problem will be finding a six foot tank for sea trials.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:16 PM
Kamloops BC Can.
Joined Jan 2008
610 Posts
The one I am trying to model is the Rivtow Hercules. If you google it, you will get a closer view of the dumping proceedure.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 03:01 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olscuzbut View Post
The one I am trying to model is the Rivtow Hercules. If you google it, you will get a closer view of the dumping proceedure.
We can do Rivtow Hercules....
Better view of how the barge moves as the logs come off also.

Rivtow Hercules Cargo Loss. (2 min 23 sec)

Thanks for info on the ballasting.
It would take a bit of redesign to get my sinker to roll correctly.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 09:55 PM
Kamloops BC Can.
Joined Jan 2008
610 Posts
Build update

Just a few pics to show the progress. Meant to mention at the opening of the thread, but had a seniors moment, but when looking at the hobbyshops cost for 1\8" baltic birch ply (12" x 48") at $32, was just about ready to scrap the project. Just happened to check with local plywood store and they had the very stuff I was looking for in 4'X5' sheets for $11. Ahha!! The project is back on. Going to stock up. Its not every day your find that.
Cut 5mm strips on the saw to do the curved section of the hull from flat bottom to vertical hull. Sealed with epoxy. Formed the solid parts of bow with my band saw, and belt sander which I made a jig for. Mounted the sander upside down allowing me good vision while shaping the bow. Starting to get an idea of just how big this barge is going to be.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 11:41 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,566 Posts
You could go with ballast tanks with pumps and all the plumbing to get it to dump. To keep things a bit more dry I'd go with shifting a steel bar from centerline to one side or the other. It could be driven by a gearmotor/drum arrangement using cables in a push/pull setup. Just a thought.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Apr 05, 2011, 12:57 AM
Kamloops BC Can.
Joined Jan 2008
610 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion Greenboat. Had thought of that, but it means more weight to carry during transporting. With being 5 feet long and having two cranes on the hull, it is going to be awkward launching without the extra weight. The water ballast tank is the route I'm using. It will self drain after the logs dump.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 07:27 PM
Kamloops BC Can.
Joined Jan 2008
610 Posts
Update

Pretty slow going. Too many other "home" projects on the go. Think I have most of them caught up now. Sure having problems finding 2 part epoxy that is not in those useless serynge dispensers. After using up 4 squeeze tubes, I came accross bottles of 2part. Know where to get it now if I need any more. Ended up using clear, white, then black epoxy. Paint covers all!!
Old Apr 16, 2011, 07:47 PM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
910 Posts
This Is going to be cool!
The only problem is after you dump your load of logs, the pond is going to be a pretty dangerous place until the wind moves that timber out of the way!!!

Cheers
G-O
Guard-Officer is offline Find More Posts by Guard-Officer