HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2011, 01:54 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,772 Posts
Discussion
Anone interested in trying glow? Every GQF/AMA member should try it at least once

Forgive me Father for I have sinned...
I have 3 nitro powered planes now. Scored two .60 sized planes this weekend and a little .049 2 channel last week. The .049 is more of a walk down memory lane but the 2 big ones... well, the deal was too good to pass up.

One of these is the Nitro Planes Explorer, same as the one I had a mid air with a german plane at the Rodeo grounds and nose planted close to the porta-potty. This is also the same model Varley used to power slide like a sprint car on our gravel runway.

Anyhow, I fired it up last night and now understand what the nitro guys go through every time they want to fly. Honestly, every one of us needs to take a flight on my new 65" w/s trainer to fully understand and appreciate what they go through. I am SURE many of the GQF'ers would hang up their radio's if they had to fly glow 100% of the time. You may not have a choice... read on...

I flew glow in the mid 70's so I rememberd most of the procedures, after all it is basically just an engine with a carb... BUT, what I did not recall until last night was how scarry it is to start a .60 sized motor on a 3' x 6' table with nothing holding the plane but my flip flop shoe material plane holder.
I had the glow plug warmer connected to the glow plug, stood in FRONT of the plane, used the hand held starter to spin the motor to life and then REACH AROUND THE SPINNING PROP to unconnect the glow warmer. Then to the back to wind it up some and adjust the needle jet on the carb that resides on FRONT OF THE MOTOR, just behind the spinning prop. Of course it died several times until I got some things figured out.
Oh, did you know the throttle channel has a servo attached? DOH, right? Well... did you know that servo "could be" REVERSED? HOLY POO POO BATMAN. Forgot that one.

Well, I am pleased to announce (more like brag) that I have all 10 digits on my hands and 10 more still on my feet but after some ground taxi loops in my back yard I shut it down (throttle trim to get carb shut down enough to starve the motor to death) and was exhausted. Why? Perhaps from the stress of reaching around a spinning prop? I dunno but honestly, it would be a good idea for all of us to do a complete flight on a glow powered plane so we learn to respect anyone that chooses to fly IC over electrics.

As for my future with glow,,,, I have 2 gallons of fuel at $10 each from the sale yesterday. After these are burned through I will go back to throwing electrons in my prop wash, not caster oil. Oh, by the way, what a mess to clean up. One other side note. Did you know that if you set your radio on the table when starting/running up a glow motor the radio may get coated in caster oil?

So, the next time we are out at the AMA field be sure to give some space to the glow guys. They need it.

Rick
rampman is online now Find More Posts by rampman
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2011, 05:43 PM
Registered Airplane Offender
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,874 Posts
When I first dabbled in radio controlled airplanes back in the mid 90s, I flew glow a few times.

There.

I've done it.

And now I shall return to my electric semi-profile Hellcat build.
greenseaships is online now Find More Posts by greenseaships
Old Mar 28, 2011, 06:16 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,202 Posts
I had a built trainer with an OS .40 in it when I was like 16. Got maybe 3 flights on it with an instructor, and pretty much burned the rest of the fuel up taxiing it up and down my neighborhood street.

And Rick, it's not the flying of the plane that commands respect. Flying is the easy part. It's the engine breaking in/tuning, fouled glo plugs, engine running backwards, shredded electric hand starter rubber, busted knuckles, $30 gallons of fuel, castor oil slimey mess that defines a true glo flyer.

BTW, did you happen to see John Mangino starting his plane during the fun fly yesterday? First time it started up, his glo plug warmer came loose and the handle found the back side of the prop. Brrrraaaaaaappppppp! Yikes!

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Mar 28, 2011, 06:19 PM
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,772 Posts
I wondered if that could happen last night. It kept leaning forward and I squenched. Made me exhausted afterwards. LOL
Old Mar 28, 2011, 06:56 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2010
3,506 Posts
You'll have to make a "Chicken Stick" I have plans.
12345 is offline Find More Posts by 12345
Old Mar 28, 2011, 06:58 PM
Jeremy-I'm crash proof!
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2008
4,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
I had a built trainer with an OS .40 in it when I was like 16. Got maybe 3 flights on it with an instructor, and pretty much burned the rest of the fuel up taxiing it up and down my neighborhood street.

And Rick, it's not the flying of the plane that commands respect. Flying is the easy part. It's the engine breaking in/tuning, fouled glo plugs, engine running backwards, shredded electric hand starter rubber, busted knuckles, $30 gallons of fuel, castor oil slimey mess that defines a true glo flyer.

BTW, did you happen to see John Mangino starting his plane during the fun fly yesterday? First time it started up, his glo plug warmer came loose and the handle found the back side of the prop. Brrrraaaaaaappppppp! Yikes!

Pat
I think I saw/heard that. Guy had quick reflexes.
neck is offline Find More Posts by neck
Old Mar 28, 2011, 07:39 PM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,506 Posts
I still have a Sullivan 12v starter that works. I had a battery holder for a 7ah 12v I used to have made back in my hobby shop days but they drilled the holes wrong on half of them. I also have a contraption someone came up with back in 1995. It looks like a flashlight but its a coil spring starter. You crank it up and when you push it on the spinner it spins it. Takes a few tries unless your motor is dialed in but it still works.
It had a life time warranty. The company is long gone....
wyldkrd is online now Find More Posts by wyldkrd
Old Mar 28, 2011, 07:58 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
You'll have to make a "Chicken Stick" I have plans.
I have one. I take it with me everywhere I go. So far I have not lost it.

Pat
Old Mar 28, 2011, 08:37 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,952 Posts
Did my glow from the late 60's to mid 90's. Switch to full time electric never looked back.
Bob
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Mar 29, 2011, 08:00 AM
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined May 2004
5,108 Posts
Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Maybe I won't dust off the Utter Chaos hanging in the Garage.
TBolt is offline Find More Posts by TBolt
Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:48 AM
Jeremy-I'm crash proof!
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2008
4,268 Posts
Rick I'm curious does the bottle of fuel you purchased...does it say it could cause cancer? I remember reading the warning labels on those bottles.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:03 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,202 Posts
Jeremy,

According to the State of Commie.... I mean California, EVERYTHING on earth causes cancer. Didn't you know that?

Pat
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:10 PM
Jeremy-I'm crash proof!
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2008
4,268 Posts
Yeah I was breast fed so California insists I have cancer.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:17 PM
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,772 Posts
It will cause blindness if you drink it.
Teik-Ee told me they counter this effect by injecting alcohol into the patients veins. Not bad, drink glow fuel, go to ER and your insurance will pay for you to get drunk. Gotta love it.
Jeremy, don't overthink stuffs like this. Gas is bad for us, oil is bad for us, Ethylene glycol (anti-freeze) will skunk our livers. How many people do you know that have died or even received medical attention from any of the above.
Lastly, did you see the age of some of the glow pilots at our club? It can't be that bad and surely not as bad as when Jim Smith and his buddy used CA at our field. (before your time, sorry )

Rick
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:25 PM
Jeremy-I'm crash proof!
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2008
4,268 Posts
I just remember reading the menacing label. Shoot I've practically had a bath in jet fuel.