HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by boingk, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 04:28 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Yippee!
Mini P-40 Madness

The FMS Mini P-40 I ordered from HK arrived today, along with another 800mAh 2s for the L-4 and five 3s 1000mAh packs for general use. I'd highly recommend Australian readers to use the HobbyKing Australian Warehouse for any HK orders where possible, as postage is fast and priced a lot lower than from the international warehouse. I ordered this lot Friday afternoon and got it Monday morning, not too bad at all.

Initial unboxing of the '40 was good, everything was there and nothing was missing. Parts seem well made but the finish could be a little better. Its really nothing that you could pick up on from even just a few feet away (ie it'll look good unless you hold it up to your face) but caught my eye as I was assembling it. Whatever, its a damn cheap plane so I didn't expect it to look like an expensive one and it still looks very good in my opinion.

The stock prop is an 8.5 x 9 and also quite heavy... which means that it will never be fitted to my plane. There is nothing physically wrong with it, but for the size of the engine (25~30g 1300kv outrunner) I would not personally have chosen a prop with those dimensions. The one in the picture below is a GWS 8 x 3.8 slow-fly that I had lying around, which should work well with the battery I'm planning to run. I plan to spray it black before use.

The packs I'm planning to run this plane on are not to spec, either. Manufacturer recommends 800 to 1000mAh two-cell lipos, but I've gone one better and bought some 1000mAh three-cells as I heard the stock spec powertrain was a little weak and the plane needed noseweight. Fitting the 3s 1000's should hopefully solve both those problems. The picture below shows that the Zippy 2s 1000mAh 25C's that I bought will juuuuuust fit in there.

Hopefully it'll be up and flying tomorrow. Projected AUW with 1000mAh 3s, landing gear and prop is 450g which is about right for the model size and wing area. This may fluctuate depending on the need for ballast, if any.

As an aside, running the powertrain through a calculator turns up that 8 x 4 should be a good runner on 3s, but perhaps not as good as 7 x 5. I might have to look into that one in the future. Either way, I'm pleased with the FMS Mini P-40 so far and will update as more happens.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
to remove ads between posts