SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 27, 2011, 07:33 PM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
2,257 Posts
Discussion
VC-20-450 Newbie: suggestions?

Complete novice here, experienced photographer, please forgive any stupid questions. I just got through reading this whole thread (Vc20-450 frame), and interested in building a quad.
I have a SRB Quark, can can almost hover. I also have a DX8 and the rx and teli unit that came with it.
Walk me through this? Frame, Paris or Warttox
http://www.multiwiicopter.com/collec...rd-plug-n-play
which is better, or should I use something else?), motors, props, ESC, batteries and .... what else do I need? (besides extras of everything)
I like to build and fiddle, so no problems there. I also have an electrical engineering son if needed in a pinch (specialty = robotics)
I don't mind paying for quality, within reason. Specific esc, motors, etc recommendations would be appreciated. Is everyone still using the ones listed on the first page of the VC20 thread? Thanks from Gary in Salisbury, MD.
glmccready is online now Find More Posts by glmccready
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2011, 08:06 PM
TECH for XaircraftAmerica!
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,401 Posts
to start with definatly get the Vic frame. but for boards. the hoverfly is one of the best but cost $$$. but since you are just starting out you could try the KK board. and it will fit nice on the frame.flys very stable. and very easy to set up. also there is the multiwii board but the software isn't perfect yet but good for having fun. there are many motor and esc options out there. you want a motor with fairly low KV, like 800kv or little higher. esc's anywhere from 18amp on up. depending on the motor you use.
tc3wins is online now Find More Posts by tc3wins
Old Mar 27, 2011, 08:29 PM
Gary
Joined Mar 2011
2,257 Posts
KK board better than the Paris/Warthox? Where would I get one, and I think I'm looking for a bit more cook book help. Brand of motor and ESC and best place to but them?
As I said I am in virgin territory...
Old Mar 27, 2011, 08:39 PM
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,401 Posts
here ya go. http://www.kkmulticopter.kr/index.html?modea=kk
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:28 AM
USA, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2010
1,806 Posts
Just out of curiosity, on the link for the MultiCopter they have a "Small HexaCopter General Sets" for $399.00 and a "Small HexaCopter Advanced Sets" for $445.00 but the descriptions are identical, what's the difference?

Anyone have one of these?
Av8Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Av8Chuck
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:53 AM
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,401 Posts
I have the micro quad, and the hexa. Also look at the size of the copter and the type of arms that is what makes the price difference.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:54 AM
Gary
Joined Mar 2011
2,257 Posts
Any advantage of a quadpowered over the KK? I've been reading the "quad build for newbie" thread...

http://www.quadpowered.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
Old Mar 28, 2011, 01:17 AM
USA, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2010
1,806 Posts
It appears that the frames are the same size but on the advanced they are perforated and weight less. I think that's the only difference, not that big of a concern at the moment.

Did you ourchase this HexaCopter: http://www.kkmulticopter.kr/index.ht...30_10&id_no=73

If so how difficult is it to build, setup and how well does it fly? Will it safely carry about 1Kg?
Old Mar 28, 2011, 01:22 AM
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,401 Posts
That is the one I have. It took me about 3 hours to build and get airborne most of it was wiring/soildering.very easy hexa to fly. I also added a cover to the top.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 01:40 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glmccready View Post
Complete novice here, experienced photographer, please forgive any stupid questions. I just got through reading this whole thread (Vc20-450 frame), and interested in building a quad.
I have a SRB Quark, can can almost hover. I also have a DX8 and the rx and teli unit that came with it.
Walk me through this? Frame, Paris or Warttox
http://www.multiwiicopter.com/collec...rd-plug-n-play
which is better, or should I use something else?), motors, props, ESC, batteries and .... what else do I need? (besides extras of everything)
I like to build and fiddle, so no problems there. I also have an electrical engineering son if needed in a pinch (specialty = robotics)
I don't mind paying for quality, within reason. Specific esc, motors, etc recommendations would be appreciated. Is everyone still using the ones listed on the first page of the VC20 thread? Thanks from Gary in Salisbury, MD.
Pretty much the first thing you want to do is to figure out what you want to do with the quad. Do you plan to pull up a camera with it? What size camera?

Your simplest and least expensive choice is getting a Gaui 330X. It is fully plug and play. It can pull up a GoPro Hero HD with no problem.

If you want to pull up anything bigger than you will need to go to the larger frame like the VC20-450.

All of them works pretty well. You will be able to shoot stills from the air right away but don't expect miracles with video quite yet. Multi Rotors are still very limited by the weather conditions. Anything more than a slight breeze and you will get the wiggles and the wobbles.

The KK from Minsoo Kim in Korea is really easy to get and flies fine. It does drift a little and requires some fine tuning with gains and such. Too much gain and it has a high frequency low amplitude oscillation. Too little gain and the frequency will drop but the amplitude will pick up. You can also hook up a FlyMentor flight stabilizer to the KK board and it gets really stable. Pretty much flies hands off.

The HoverFly is the cadillac and it is really nice. I am still working out the gain settings but it is the most stable of the three I mentioned.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Mar 28, 2011, 01:47 AM
sydney, downunder
Joined Jan 2011
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glmccready View Post
Any advantage of a quadpowered over the KK? I've been reading the "quad build for newbie" thread...

http://www.quadpowered.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
I don't know if they still sell quadpowered board because the developer of the board is now focusing on hoverfly pro board. There may be a sport version of hoverfly board with less features coming up but no further info is provided by hoverfly tech.
fajar is offline Find More Posts by fajar
Old Mar 28, 2011, 01:50 AM
USA, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2010
1,806 Posts
Thanks.

I have a 330X with the Vic20 frame and it flies fairly well, not very stable in the wind and not enough payload. You've probably seen this, I've been pimping it everywhere:
Gaui 330X First Flight (3 min 4 sec)

Its been a lot of fun but now I want something that can carry a DSLR with more stability for AP. Just when I think I want to build a hexa I start reading the various build threads and just get overwhelmed.

The 330X was great, just about plug and play and that's what I'm looking for in a hex, I'm a photographer and know very little about RC. Thanks again for the response, I'm sure you'll see me asking more questions.

glmccready, my quad will probably be for sale if I can ever decide what to get next. Let me know if your interested. Depending on what you want a quad for, the 330X is a great trainer and can easily lift a GoPro, there are a few people doing some great AP from quads with DSLR's but those guys have significantly modified their quads and are exceptionally good RC pilots. I think it is quite difficult for a new RC pilot to get good aerial HD video from a quad. I guess it all depends on how you define good HD footage, I don't consider GoPro footage to be good enough. But a quad and GoPro are a great place to start.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:01 AM
USA, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2010
1,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
The KK from Minsoo Kim in Korea is really easy to get and flies fine. It does drift a little and requires some fine tuning with gains and such. Too much gain and it has a high frequency low amplitude oscillation. Too little gain and the frequency will drop but the amplitude will pick up. You can also hook up a FlyMentor flight stabilizer to the KK board and it gets really stable. Pretty much flies hands off.

The HoverFly is the cadillac and it is really nice. I am still working out the gain settings but it is the most stable of the three I mentioned.
Do you know if the FY20A works well [or at all] with the KK board? Also is the hex as "temperamental" for a lack of a better term as the KK quad?
Old Mar 28, 2011, 04:32 AM
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,401 Posts
I have both the quad and the hexa and I have a kk red board quad. I will have to say the hexa flys more stable then the quads, but not by much. and my quads re pretty darn stable.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:58 AM
USA, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2010
1,806 Posts
How much more payload will the Hex lift?

As you tell in the video my quad is quite stable, with a 2C battery it just kind of floats and I herd it around, with a 3C its much more responsive requires much better piloting skills to keep it still. But with any breeze at all I get the type of oscillation that SiesmicCWave was referring too.

As a noob its hard to determine how much of this flight characteristic is due to the controller, the conditions or my piloting skills. I'm hoping that a Hex will give more positive control than my quad with the 2C, a little more stability, and about another 500g of payload.

Is this a reasonable expectation? Does the KK controller have any sort of position and hold? Is the wobble that is so prevalent in quads in the Hex?