HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2011, 05:51 PM
Joined Jul 2009
313 Posts
Discussion
reversed the polarity on my fatshark goggles

Ughhh, cleaning up my wiring on my fpv setup, somehow I reversed the polarity. The goggles put out some magic smoke. Has anyone done this and fixed the goggles themselves?
mitsudriver274 is offline Find More Posts by mitsudriver274
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2011, 05:57 PM
FPVEEE ED
Quebec, Canada
Joined Jul 2010
293 Posts
Looks like some caps have fried out... So replace them and check the also the voltage regulator...
ecampos is online now Find More Posts by ecampos
Old Mar 29, 2011, 01:21 AM
Joined Jul 2009
313 Posts
How to identify capacitors?

Looking at the unit with a magnifying glass I can barely see the numbers on the cap. Reading from the top it says 476 16k 728, it is identical to another capacitor that is on the board.

Based off the size this is the closest thing I can find to the cap

AXN Tantalum Capacitor

Series TPS
Capacitance 68µF
Voltage - Rated 16V
Tolerance ±10%

unfortunately digikey does not offer a photo of the capacitor so I do not know if it is the same one. I did measure the capacitor with my calipers and it is the correct size and voltage. I'm just not sure about the capacitance.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:32 AM
VaZ
TheFlyer_PT
Portugal
Joined Feb 2011
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsudriver274 View Post
Looking at the unit with a magnifying glass I can barely see the numbers on the cap. Reading from the top it says 476 16k 728, it is identical to another capacitor that is on the board.

Based off the size this is the closest thing I can find to the cap

AXN Tantalum Capacitor

Series TPS
Capacitance 68µF
Voltage - Rated 16V
Tolerance ±10%

unfortunately digikey does not offer a photo of the capacitor so I do not know if it is the same one. I did measure the capacitor with my calipers and it is the correct size and voltage. I'm just not sure about the capacitance.
Same thing happened to me. I have capacitors at home to replace it. I will tell you the reference when I get home. If you can't find them I can send you one from free and also the voltage regulator.

Vaz.
VaZ is offline Find More Posts by VaZ
Old Mar 29, 2011, 02:11 PM
Joined Jul 2009
313 Posts
Vaz, thank you very much, but customer support has rocked on these goggles. Even though it was blatantly my fault fatshark is sending me a new board free of charge. I just have to pay for shipping. I'm so happy with this outcome!

Awesome customer support, another reason to get fat shark products!
Old Mar 29, 2011, 06:53 PM
VaZ
TheFlyer_PT
Portugal
Joined Feb 2011
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsudriver274 View Post
Vaz, thank you very much, but customer support has rocked on these goggles. Even though it was blatantly my fault fatshark is sending me a new board free of charge. I just have to pay for shipping. I'm so happy with this outcome!

Awesome customer support, another reason to get fat shark products!
woww that is awsome! you wrote directly to fat shark? can you pm me the email address? because i have the same problem and still didnt fixed it

Cheers,
Vaz.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 08:11 PM
Wichita
Joined Dec 2008
1,143 Posts
Anyone know where I can send in my fatsharks in the USA. I was trying to show them to a friend & they went black. Lost all power is what it looks like, but the battery is fully charged, I only get a red light blink at me from the left side when I plug in the battery.
Marc
Pixturethis is offline Find More Posts by Pixturethis
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:31 AM
VaZ
TheFlyer_PT
Portugal
Joined Feb 2011
611 Posts
Just contacted Fat Shark, they will send me a board free of charge too, amazing support

Vaz.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 03:08 PM
Joined Jul 2009
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixturethis View Post
Anyone know where I can send in my fatsharks in the USA. I was trying to show them to a friend & they went black. Lost all power is what it looks like, but the battery is fully charged, I only get a red light blink at me from the left side when I plug in the battery.
Marc
I would contact fat shark directly, I just used the e mail address that was posted on the website
Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:48 AM
Wichita
Joined Dec 2008
1,143 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll email them.
In the mean time a ordered the head play set ad I can get them serviced in the USA.
Pixturethis is offline Find More Posts by Pixturethis
Old Mar 31, 2011, 09:30 AM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,431 Posts
I would second that!

The support I have had from the FatShark team is just superb.
That alone is one of the reasons to go with their gear over the other non FPV stuffs - you wouldn't get such a fast personal service from headplay / dell / hobbyking.

I'm always hesitant to recommend products, but the Fatsharks are great all round FPV specific product. Love em.
I've seen a few different goggles now and I would take the sharks over the others any day. These are the only ones that can take the abuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaZ View Post
Just contacted Fat Shark, they will send me a board free of charge too, amazing support

Vaz.
Shikra is offline Find More Posts by Shikra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD NG
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:18 AM
Singapore
Singapore
Joined Oct 2007
53 Posts
Could anyone PM me Fatshark's email too? i would love to get my goggles repaired as i have just fried my goggles by accidentally putting in reverse voltage into the set.
viper1990 is offline Find More Posts by viper1990
Old Jul 23, 2011, 01:06 PM
VaZ
TheFlyer_PT
Portugal
Joined Feb 2011
611 Posts
customerservice@gowiththeshark.com
Old Jul 23, 2011, 01:26 PM
Joined Jan 2011
602 Posts
How many smoked items is that now? I'm up to three cams
dallibab is offline Find More Posts by dallibab
Old Jul 23, 2011, 01:31 PM
VaZ
TheFlyer_PT
Portugal
Joined Feb 2011
611 Posts
It's kinda weird though that the goggles didnt have any protection against reverse polarity... Though I think the new versions already do, don't really know..