HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2011, 05:51 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Aug 2010
691 Posts
Discussion
Note: Don't fly with your front two motor wires switched

It appears the Hoverfly does not like that.

y6crash.mp4 (0 min 29 sec)

Was going through checking bolts and fasteners after ~5 packs of great flight. Put everything back together. Switched my two front top motors (y6) around. Hoverfly didn't like that. I'm actually suprised it flew. In fact it wasnt THAT bad. It was wobbly, and I had the "sudden drops" but I had been getting those before too so I was kinda like and then it just flipped and smashed itself into the ground.

Aluminum frame so no damage there. Two props broke, 2 X motor mounts were bent. So I bent them back and decided to try replacing the broken 12x3.8 pusher props with some 11x4.7 I had laying around. ...... Hoverfly didn't like that either but it flew pretty stable, just would not yaw one direction at all. No noise or anything. Oh well. Gotta wait form some more 12x3.8 (or maybe 12x6)
rallymatt is offline Find More Posts by rallymatt
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2011, 07:00 PM
Joined Jan 2010
194 Posts
are you saying that you made the top front two motors on your "Y6" spin reverse thrust and it still flew i cant believe that?
pipercubdude is offline Find More Posts by pipercubdude
Old Mar 27, 2011, 07:06 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Aug 2010
691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipercubdude View Post
are you saying that you made the top front two motors on your "Y6" spin reverse thrust and it still flew i cant believe that?
No I switched left and right front with the board.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 09:55 PM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
Yeah. . . That will cause a crash. . I'm surprised it flew at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallymatt View Post
No I switched left and right front with the board.
S11D336B is offline Find More Posts by S11D336B
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 27, 2011, 09:58 PM
Gainesville GA USA
Joined Nov 2004
154 Posts
You said you bent back the X motor mounts. Best to replace them.

I see in your other thread you have the non-arm holes of the motor mount bolted to the motor mount below.

I bent mine back on my quad after a crash, and about a couple of dozen flights later I had horrible vibrations just after take off. As I landed it, the motor flew off. There must have been a hairline crack in the X motor mount that finally let go. I did find a hairline crack on another as I was replacing them.

I now have the motors mounted on their X mounts, and a circle of G10 sandwiched between them and the arm. Only 2 bolts at 180deg holding it to the arm like yours, but the circle of G10 gives 4 points of support to the motor instead of just 2 and the X for the other 2.

Those X mounts are too soft by themselves. The G10 is much stiffer, even at 1/16".

Rick
llamatrails is offline Find More Posts by llamatrails
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:21 PM
Tesla's Workshop
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2004
2,445 Posts
Yeah the X mounts that come with the KDA20-22L feel like thery are made of clay. Do you have any photos of your G10 addition?

Jeff
workshop is offline Find More Posts by workshop
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:25 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Aug 2010
691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S11D336B View Post
Yeah. . . That will cause a crash. . I'm surprised it flew at all.
Me too. I double checked everything and then figured "I'll notice it on the ground if they are wrong". I did this once on my UAVX and it just sat there on the ground going nuts at idle speed.

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending I guess. It took off and wasn't "that" bad. till it flipped.

Yea, the X mounts were pretty mangled. I replaced the 2 bent ones. I always buy spares of those. The RCTimer ones I have are super weak compared to the Pulso ones.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:52 AM
Gainesville GA USA
Joined Nov 2004
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by workshop View Post
Yeah the X mounts that come with the KDA20-22L feel like thery are made of clay. Do you have any photos of your G10 addition?

Jeff
Here are a couple of pics. They will work with RCTimer 2826-11, KDA 20-22L or any motor that has a 16mm x 19mm motor screw mount spacing. There is a center hole for the shaft, and additional large holes for air flow. I mount the motor onto the provided X mount, and then sandwich the G10 plate between the X mount and the frame arm. The plate is drilled for mounting the motor without the X mount if you want to save a few grams.

Send me a PM if you want some, or visit my web site: http://marine.LlamaTrails.com .

TIA,
Rick
Last edited by llamatrails; Apr 03, 2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:27 AM
Tesla's Workshop
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2004
2,445 Posts
Very sweet! Thanks Rick... I like that better than ditching the X mount althogether and countersinking holes on the reverse side for the motor attachment. You are either really good with a drill press or did that with a water/laser cutter...

We use a lot of G-10 at work but it always comes in a translucent green for HV electrical use. What "kind" of G-10 is that? That material seems to be popular in the multicopter universe.

Jeff
workshop is offline Find More Posts by workshop
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:29 PM
Gainesville GA USA
Joined Nov 2004
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by workshop View Post
Very sweet! Thanks Rick... I like that better than ditching the X mount althogether and countersinking holes on the reverse side for the motor attachment. You are either really good with a drill press or did that with a water/laser cutter...

We use a lot of G-10 at work but it always comes in a translucent green for HV electrical use. What "kind" of G-10 is that? That material seems to be popular in the multicopter universe.

Jeff
Thanks, Jeff. Home built cnc, cutting it with standard carbide end mills. The G10 is Grade G-10/FR4 Garolite, Flame-retardant. I hope to not see the kind of voltages you see at work on my aircraft.

Rick
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:05 PM
Joined Jan 2010
194 Posts
where do you guts get G10? i nned some of that stuff
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:06 PM
Joined Jan 2010
194 Posts
Oh i see !!
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:08 PM
Joined Jan 2010
194 Posts
what kind of machinery do you need to cut ,drill and mill the G10 ?
Old May 24, 2011, 10:15 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1 Posts
We had a similar mishap with our X4 at embry-riddle. The rear two motors were connected in reverse (left motor plugged into the right motor plug and vis versa). Surprisingly it was still able to keep itself in the air (ground effect) for a good 5 or so minutes with autolevel enabled while we played with the gains trying to fix it.
shadowclaw is offline Find More Posts by shadowclaw
Old May 24, 2011, 10:48 AM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
I just bought some from the store to try out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamatrails View Post
Here are a couple of pics. They will work with RCTimer 2826-11, KDA 20-22L or any motor that has a 16mm x 19mm motor screw mount spacing. There is a center hole for the shaft, and additional large holes for air flow. I mount the motor onto the provided X mount, and then sandwich the G10 plate between the X mount and the frame arm. The plate is drilled for mounting the motor without the X mount if you want to save a few grams.

Send me a PM if you want some, or visit my web site: http://marine.LlamaTrails.com .

TIA,
Rick
S11D336B is offline Find More Posts by S11D336B
Site Sponsor